Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to tell NeoOffice not to create dates automatically
How to tell NeoOffice not to create dates automatically

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: How to tell NeoOffice not to create dates automatically

Hi,
a couple of weeks ago I had a problem with a capital letter at the beginning of a table cell. After help in this forum I could cure it via Extras / Options.
Now I have a similar problem, but can't find anything against it in the Extras / Options menu.
NeoOffice automatically changes figures I type in into dates.
For example: I type "8.12." and NeoOffice changes it to "08.12.09" (German format of dates). But I don't want that. When I tpye in something, I want it exactly that way, except mistypes.
How can I tell NeoOffice never again to change my - say - "8.12." into "08.12.09"?

James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject:

Choose Format::Auto Format and uncheck the 'While Typing' option. Does that solve the problem for you?

James

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject:

Hi James,
thanks for your answer. But that doesn't help.
I remember I had that problem already months ago or even with StarOffice and then I had to change the underlying format (=date) of the cell. But I don't remember where I can the hidden format, let alone change it.

gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject:

Hi James,
I found a solution. I mark the whole table. Then I go in the menu table / format for figures (my translation). There I choose category "Text". The format-part of that panel has an "at"-sign (that's the underlying format I remembered).
But maybe there is a solution without that procedure for every table.

James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject:

OK, I think I've found the answer in this OOo.org page*. Choose Options::Tools and click the NeoOffice Writer triangle inthe left hand pane to disclose the options. Select 'Table' and at the top right of the Table dialog (headed 'Input in Tables') deselect the Number Recognition checkbox.

(*There may be a similar Neo page in the wiki, but I was lazy and just Googled.)

Best wishes

James

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
(*There may be a similar Neo page in the wiki, but I was lazy and just Googled.)

I don't believe this particular tip is on the Disabling Automatic Formatting page; we should add it Smile (and maybe gavagai's too; they sound like they might be useful in different situations).

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject:

Hi James,
that's it. Thanks.

gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject:

My assumption is:
one of the latest NeoOffice versions or updates ignored/reset all or some of my settings.
Besides the table adjustment justed corrected (and I think I had done it before), the paths are changed.
Whenever storing a new document I got (I don't know since when) "Documents" instead of my "temp"; I had to change that manually whenever I stored a document for the first time. Now I'm telling NeoOffice my usual "working path" (again my translation of the German version; it's the first line in the path-options panel).

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
My assumption is:
one of the latest NeoOffice versions or updates ignored/reset all or some of my settings.

This is partly true when you first upgrade from NeoOffice 2.2.x to NeoOffice 3.0.x. Many of NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org preferences changed between OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 (the version that NeoOffice 2.2.x is based on) and 3.0.1 (the version that NeoOffice 3.0.x is based on) so a new set of user preference files get created when you first run any NeoOffice 3.0.x version.

NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code does attempt to import any of your older preference files. However, their code is not able to import all settings so like in your case, you may see the default setting in NeoOffice 3.0.x.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
James3359 wrote:

I don't believe this particular tip is on the Disabling Automatic Formatting page; we should add it Smile (and maybe gavagai's too; they sound like they might be useful in different situations).

Good idea Smokey. I was going to work on this over the weekend when I had some time, but I see you have already made some changes to the Disabling Automatic Formatting NeoWiki page.

Let me know if there is anything you would like me to do wiki-wise and I'll get to it.

Thanks,
--fran
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject:

narf wrote:
Let me know if there is anything you would like me to do wiki-wise and I'll get to it.

There are no pressing projects I can think of; unless Lorinda can think of something, the main "maintenance" work for the wiki is probably looking after the fixme pages, which cover a large range of things: out-of-date information, page needs to adhere to the style guide, page needs general structural/text improvements, or the translation is out of date, among others.

None of that is at all pressing, though (thus the fact we've allowed the list to build up as much it has), and often things on English pages are only cleaned up as we find the need to do something else to them (e.g., I fixed the fixme stuff on Disabling Automatic Formatting tonight when I added the new info from this thread).

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Oops. I meant to ask if there was anything else on that particular wiki page to do. Sorry for any confusion this caused.

Once I climb out from under the transition from Early Access to NeoOffice 3.0.1 I can see if I have any time to look into the fixme pages a little further.

thanks --fran
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject:

narf wrote:
Oops. I meant to ask if there was anything else on that particular wiki page to do. Sorry for any confusion this caused.

I did wonder if that was what you meant, but no worries Wink

narf wrote:
Once I climb out from under the transition from Early Access to NeoOffice 3.0.1 I can see if I have any time to look into the fixme pages a little further.

I figured you couldn't really be that out of things to do quite yet Wink Anyway, as I said before, none of that stuff is critical, so when you're bored and have nothing else to do, they'll be there Wink

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1