· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - "Error writing file"
"Error writing file"

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heywood
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: No joy

Sorry guys, I left a Writer document open for 5 days and just tried saving, and I get the same error as before (Error saving the document [document name]: Error writing file.).

FWIW, the about box says NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 0 (but not Patch 0 Test 3). It seems unlikely, but is it possible I originally installed the patch incorrectly (or not at all)? I just re-ran the P0-T3 installer, though, and the info in the about box remains unchanged.

Anyway, if there's any more debug info I can produce to help hunt this down, please let me know.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject:

The About box never shows patch-xx-test-nn numbers, only the patch-xx level that the tests then sit on top of.

- padmavyuha
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: No joy

Heywood wrote:
Sorry guys, I left a Writer document open for 5 days and just tried saving, and I get the same error as before (Error saving the document [document name]: Error writing file.).

I left 3 documents open for 4 days, one each of Writer, Calc , Impress, and also got the same error message.

-- fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: No joy

narf wrote:
I left 3 documents open for 4 days, one each of Writer, Calc , Impress, and also got the same error message.

Fortunately, since narf ran this test on a machine we both have access to, I took a look at that machine's /tmp directory after narf's save attempt failed. Sure enough, several of the temporary files created by the OpenOffice.org code have been deleted.

From this, I have to conclude that there is some unknown OpenOffice.org code orunknown Mac OS X process that doing the temporary file deletion as my last test patch properly updated the access time (which is what Mac OS X's /etc/periodic scripts look at) on each temporary file.

Since updating the access time on temporary files did not work, my next approach will be to search for the OpenOffice.org code that fails when its temporary file has been deleted and change that code to create a new temporary file if the current one has been deleted.

I will post again when I have a new test patch ready.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have found the OpenOffice.org code that fails when saving if a temporary file has been deleted and I have changed the OpenOffice.org code to create a new, zero length temporary file in such cases. I have removed my previous "access time update" fix since it does not fix the bug and in this test patch I have replaced that code with my latest OpenOffice.org code modifications.

Can anyone install the test patch and tell us if the fix works for you? To test the fix, you will need to create and save and .odt, .ods, or .odp file and leave that file open for at least 4 days. Then, after 4 days (Wednesday, 11 November 2009 if you start testing today), change some of the content in the file and try to save it. If it saves OK, then the fix works. Note that you can open, edit, save, and close other files. You just need to keep on file open for 4 days to test the fix:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-0-Test-7-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-0-Test-7-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-0-Test-5-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

I'm just starting a 4-day test today. Hope to have result for you on Monday.

Ray

narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:

Good news, I just completed a 4 day with NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 0, Test Patch 7 and I was able to save to documents that had been left opened. I tested Writer, Calc and Impress.

First I opened the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application and ran the following command to check the /tmp directory for files created by the OpenOffice.org code:
Code:
ls -l /tmp/sv*

It did not return anything which showed that the temporary files created by the OpenOffice.org code had been deleted.

I made changes to an open document and reran the command and received the following output:

Code:
ls -l /tmp/sv*
total 0
-rw-------   1 franb  wheel  0 Nov 11 09:09 svh6o.tmp

A new temporary file was created.

-- fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3