Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc hang on pasting into header
Calc hang on pasting into header

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Calc hang on pasting into header

I just had NeoOffice hang while I was trying to paste from the clipboard into the footer area.
(Format>Page>Footer>Edit then paste into the left hand box)

The content I was trying to paste included fields.

I had done so earlier without any trouble. I use Butler to store my last few clipboards, and had just pulled up the Butler list of clipboards to see which one I needed. I needed the top level one, numbered 0, meaning that it is the data on the current Mac clipboard. I hit 0, but no paste happened, so I hit Command-V instead. Then Neo hung.

I had a little trouble getting the sample, as the two floating windows for Page Format and Footer stayed front and center in my screen, no matter what app was foremost. They obscured the buttons I needed access to in Activity Monitor to get the same. I finally managed to drag the offending Neo windows out of the way.

NeoOffice 3.0 patch 3, running on Mac OS 10.4.11 (PPC).

Sample attached.

Not sure when I'll have time to try to reproduce, and the file in question is not something I can share. I could pretty quickly adjust it to something that I would be willing to share with Patrick or Fran privately, but it would be very difficult to modify it enough to post it here.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Calc hang on pasting into header

Lorinda wrote:
I just had NeoOffice hang while I was trying to paste from the clipboard into the footer area.
(Format>Page>Footer>Edit then paste into the left hand box)

The content I was trying to paste included fields.

From your sample, NeoOffice does not appear to hanging. Instead, it the sample indicates that your pasting operation is updating database fields and that database is accessed via ODBC.

Since you are using ODBC to connect to your database, can you describe the type of database that you are using? Specifically, is it a remote or local database and what type of database is it (e.g. Access, MySQL, etc.).

The next question is what exactly were you copying? If you copied a table or block of Calc cells, you may have triggered a very large database update operation.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for taking a look at the sample, Patrick.

Both the Dock and Activity Monitor listed Neo as "Not responding," but I've seen that with other apps that are just busy.

I wasn't accessing any external database. I don't have the first clue how to access a database by ODBC.

The fields in question were document specific fields: sheet name, page number, number of total pages.

I had the header in the first sheet set up how I wanted it (using the little field buttons in the Edit Footer dialog), and had simply copied the result, moved to the next sheet, navigated to the Edit Footer dialog and pasted.

In any event, I was headed back here to say that after I had force quit and restarted Neo, I tried using the same series of steps as before, and it copied and pasted just fine.

Some time earlier, I had copied a big chunk of cells from the spreadsheet. It's possible that I hit the wrong key when I had my list of clipboard contents up and thus Neo was trying to paste that into the Footer box. Would that explain what you saw in the sample?

I'd say case closed unless it happens again.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Some time earlier, I had copied a big chunk of cells from the spreadsheet. It's possible that I hit the wrong key when I had my list of clipboard contents up and thus Neo was trying to paste that into the Footer box. Would that explain what you saw in the sample?

Pasting a huge number of cells would likely cause this. From what I see in your sample, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is iterating through each cell and is converting the cell contents to a single, big chunk of RTF text.

If you waited enough time for the OpenOffice.org to finish converting all of the cells to RTF text, the RTF text would be pasted into the footer field. That could be a very, very long time if the number of cells that you copied is large enough.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda,

pluby wrote:
Pasting a huge number of cells would likely cause this. From what I see in your sample, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is iterating through each cell and is converting the cell contents to a single, big chunk of RTF text.

One thing that you may want to consider when using a system hack like Butler is that if you copy something from NeoOffice and then paste it later from Butler, you will likely see degradation in the pasted data.

The reason for this is that when you copy in NeoOffice and then immediately paste in NeoOffice, NeoOffice's copy and paste code knows that it is the application that currently owns the system pasteboard so NeoOffice pulls the data to paste directly from within itself and ignores what is on the system pasteboard.

Since NeoOffice internally stores copied data in a much richer data format than the system pasteboard can handle, NeoOffice does not have to convert the copied data to RTF format and back to the native internal format. In contrast, when pasting from Butler, you are pasting the data from the RTF format that NeoOffice sent the pasteboard and converting back to the native internal format will in most cases result in data degradation.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject:

That's helpful to know, Patrick. I'll keep in mind in the future.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1