Printing A5 pages to brochure on A4 paper

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Do these steps work for everyone?

I still find that I have to go through NeoOffice's Print Preview -> Print options page view -> Format -> Landscape to persuade NeoOffice to print two pages sideways on the page, rather than two tiny pages at the top of the page.

Andy (who wrote the article in the first place!)

OK. I've had some problem with Neo Wink. After quitting and relaunching Neo, it'OK.
I uncomment the lines in the wiki.

Thanks Andy

Jacqueline
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:

Certainly this now seems right for printing A5 pages to an A5 brochure in Tiger 10.4.x.

I don't think you need to use Preview.app. In the Printer Options window in the Pages section if you choose Brochure and (say) Left pages it will print one side of the brochure sheets. If you then go through the process again and this time choose Right pages it will print the other side. This doesn't work if you choose Odd number pages from the Pages section of the native Print dialog.

For people who regularly print brochures, they can save the Paper handling (and any other Print dialog) settings needed in the Print dialog as a Preset using the Presets drop down in the Print dialog.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
I've updated the wiki.

I believe that going through Preview is useless. So I commented the first five items in "Starting with A4 pages" and the first one in "Starting with A5 pages".

I think that the method valid for Tiger applies to 10.3.9 too, but I cannot test.

Can anyone check the methods for Panther and Tiger (and even for Leopard!), and polish my English?

[url=http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Fr:Créer_des_Brochures]en français[/url]

in English

Thanks.

Jacqueline

I just checked the English text for any needed polishing, and it looks fine. I probably won't have time to test the procedure on Tiger until tomorrow or Saturday.

Lorinda
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject:

I'm bumping up this old thread because this post from Smokey has put into words something I've been aware of for a while now.

Brochure printing is not dead easy with NeoOffice, but the need for the instructions to accommodate two different page sizes, two different OS print dialogs, and two different versions of NO has made it all look much more complicated than it actually is for any given setup.

If anyone has ideas about how to simplify the presentation, then I would be willing to put some time into editing as brochure printing seems to come up reasonably regularly.

Also I want to do one edit of more substance: sometimes when I get to the Print Options stage the graphic shows everything correctly laid out, but in actual printing it puts two much smaller pages side by side at the top of a portrait page. When this happens the cure seems to be to go through the process a second time and at the Print Options stage to choose portrait and click OK and then immediately invoke the Print Options dialog a second time and choose Landscape and click OK. (I'm not sure if the problem is a bug of some kind, but I haven't been able to establish any pattern of repeatability.)

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
Brochure printing is not dead easy with NeoOffice, but the need for the instructions to accommodate two different page sizes, two different OS print dialogs, and two different versions of NO has made it all look much more complicated than it actually is for any given setup.

If anyone has ideas about how to simplify the presentation, then I would be willing to put some time into editing as brochure printing seems to come up reasonably regularly.

I think we could combine each of the two Mac OS X steps into a single step. They are nearly identical except for details like "expand the native print dialog's arrow". For example, in the "Starting with A4" section, you could combine the two steps into the following:

Quote:
Display the native Print dialog by selecting the File :: Print... menu. Only select this menu and do not press the Print toolbar icon as it will prevent you from doing the next step. Note: if the native Print dialog does not show the "Copies & Pages", "Copies", or "Pages" fields, you need to expand the dialog by clicking on the little triangle on the right hand side of the Printer listbox to access the various settings.

In the above, I made a few changes to shorten things:

1. I shortened the steps for displaying the native Print dialog by saying select X :: Y menu and dropping the key shortcut. The old text was lengthier and it isn't clear that you are selecting a menu.

2. I made the "don't press the toolbar bar icon" applicable to both versions. This restriction wasn't really a Mac OS X restriction, but instead it is a restriction for NeoOffice 2.2.x. It is needed for that NeoOffice version but since it does not cause any harm in NeoOffice 3.x, I included it work both versions.

3. I made the "dialog expansion" steps applicable to both versions. I rewrote the wording to identify the possible problem and its solution to work around the fact that collapsing the dialog is not possible in pre-Mac OS X 10.5.x versions.

If you like this approach, let me know and I will try to collapse the NeoOffice 3.x and 2.2.x sections in a similar fashion.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you like this approach, let me know and I will try to collapse the NeoOffice 3.x and 2.2.x sections in a similar fashion.

We can also move the 2.2.x steps to a new page, like we've done for other things in the past (particularly as the 2.2.x instructions shouldn't be changing at all any more). This would be my preferred solution to the "two versions" part of the problem.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
We can also move the 2.2.x steps to a new page, like we've done for other things in the past (particularly as the 2.2.x instructions shouldn't be changing at all any more). This would be my preferred solution to the "two versions" part of the problem.

That seems to be overkill to me. Most of the steps are the same for both versions so I would think we can merely add notes like "Do X (note: NeoOffice 2.2.x users can skip this step)" or similar.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
That seems to be overkill to me. Most of the steps are the same for both versions so I would think we can merely add notes like "Do X (note: NeoOffice 2.2.x users can skip this step)" or similar.

Ah, OK. When I last looked at the article (by which I mean glanced), it seemed like there were a large number of different steps, but since that's not the case, then you're right, there's no reason for a separate page.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Ah, OK. When I last looked at the article (by which I mean glanced), it seemed like there were a large number of different steps, but since that's not the case, then you're right, there's no reason for a separate page.

I think that part of the problem is that the current steps are a bit out of order. The more that I look at the steps, it seems to me that the steps started as a simple list of steps and then we squeezed in different steps by adding or splitting steps. I am thinking that we can simplify this by reorganizing the existing steps into the following groups of steps:

- Switch to Page Preview mode
- Set the number of rows and columns for document
- Display the Print Options dialog and check the Brochure checkbox (this is where we note the special steps for getting past the native Page Setup dialog in NeoOffice 3.x)
- Display the native Print dialog, set to duplex or every other page, and press the Print button (I understand that for NeoOffice 2.2.x this and the previous group of steps both use the File :: Print menu, but we can note that in this step that if the native Print dialog is not displayed, press the Print toolbar icon or select the File :: Print menu to display it)

Does that approach make sense?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Does that approach make sense?

I defer to others who actually know what's going on here, but generally that sounds OK.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2