Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NO 3.0.1 can't open NO 2.2.5 Patch 14 Calc doc with password
NO 3.0.1 can't open NO 2.2.5 Patch 14 Calc doc with password

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastOfBodmin
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: NO 3.0.1 can't open NO 2.2.5 Patch 14 Calc doc with password

Mac OS X 10.4.11

A spreadsheet I have had since maybe as far back as NeoOffice 1.x does not open in NeoOffice 3.0.1. After I am prompted for the password NeoOffice hangs. I have to force quit NeoOffice 3.

The same spreadsheet will not open in OO 3 for Wintel either. On Wintel/ OO, I see a progress bar as it tries to load the file, but OO also hangs and must be shot in the head. This suggests to me it is something in OO. I have not tried OO 2.X for Wintel.

In any case, it seems like a bug.

I expect there is a workaround, e.g. save the Calc file with a different name, remove password protection, open in NeoOffice 3 and apply a password and save it. But if I want to "gently transition" from v2 to v3 this makes it a bit cumbersome. And if someone has lots of password protected files ...

What do you think?
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject:

It might be helpful if you can attach a document containing a Sample from when NeoOffice hangs following these steps in the NeoWiki.

Also, are you able to save a non-confidential file in with password which exhibits this problem and upload it? That would help to try and identify the problem.

I no longer have any version of 2.2.5, but a test Calc file saved in 2.2.6 Patch 1 opens all right in 3.0.1 Patch 1

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject:

It definitely sounds like you have found an OpenOffice.org. If you can attach a sample of the NeoOffice process when it is hanging or document that we can use to try to reproduce the hanging that James3359 requested, we can see if we can track down where the bug is occurring and fix it.

In the meantime, do you have NeoOffice 2.2.6 installed? If not, installing NeoOffice 2.2.6 should give you access to your files while we are investigating the bug. You can download NeoOffice 2.2.6 from the NeoOffice 2.2.6 download page.

Before you install NeoOffice 2.2.6, be sure to go to the Finder and rename your existing NeoOffice 3.0.1 installation to something other than NeoOffice.app. This will allow you to keep NeoOffice 3.0.1 installed when you install NeoOffice 2.2.6.

Patrick
BeastOfBodmin
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Wipes egg off face.

Hi,

The problem appears to have gone away. Which I realise is user-speak for "The problem wasn't there in the first place."

What then remained of the "problem" was it took a timed 10 - 15 seconds to load the spreadsheet after I entered the password. Also, changing tabs in the 'sheet took a few seconds the first time I tried it.

Another "feature" of this troublesome 'sheet was that it also had links to two other spreadsheets. So I went to Edit / Link. There I found some links to some graphics in an external URI. So I broke those links.

For some reason the references to the external spreadsheets remain even if I break the links, save and reload. But I'm sure I'll find the answer to that in the forums.

However, the 'sheet loads and responds quickly now.

So I am guessing the underlying problem was the reference to the external URIs. Could the delay have been waiting for something to time out?

In summary: Problem solved Laughing
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wipes egg off face.

BeastOfBodmin wrote:
For some reason the references to the external spreadsheets remain even if I break the links, save and reload. But I'm sure I'll find the answer to that in the forums.

Can you try the following steps? This should permanently remove the links:

1. Open the spreadsheet and select the Edit :: Links menu

2. In the dialog that appears, select one of the links and press the Break Link button and press the Yes button in the confirmation dialog that appears.

3. Repeat step 2 for all links that you want to remove and press the OK button to close the dialog.

4. Save the spreadsheet.

Do the above steps permanently remove the links?

BeastOfBodmin wrote:
So I am guessing the underlying problem was the reference to the external URIs. Could the delay have been waiting for something to time out?

I think your theory is a very likely to be true. Making a network connection to the external URL, waiting for the response from the server, and parsing the data that the server sends back can easily use up a few seconds.

Patrick
BeastOfBodmin
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipes egg off face.

pluby wrote:
BeastOfBodmin wrote:

Can you try the following steps? This should permanently remove the links:

1. Open the spreadsheet and select the Edit :: Links menu

2. In the dialog that appears, select one of the links and press the Break Link button and press the Yes button in the confirmation dialog that appears.

3. Repeat step 2 for all links that you want to remove and press the OK button to close the dialog.

4. Save the spreadsheet.

Do the above steps permanently remove the links?

Unfortunately not. I followed the procedure, saved and closed the spreadsheet, but when I open it again, the links are still there.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipes egg off face.

BeastOfBodmin wrote:
Unfortunately not. I followed the procedure, saved and closed the spreadsheet, but when I open it again, the links are still there.

That is very strange. I wonder if there is some special settings in your document that disallow deleting links. If your document does not contain any confidential and you can attach it, we can try to figure out the steps that are needed to delete the problematic links.

If you would like us to look at your document, you can attach your document using the steps in this forum post.

Patrick
BeastOfBodmin
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wipes egg off face.

pluby wrote:
BeastOfBodmin wrote:

That is very strange. I wonder if there is some special settings in your document that disallow deleting links. If your document does not contain any confidential and you can attach it, we can try to figure out the steps that are needed to delete the problematic links.

If you would like us to look at your document, you can attach your document using the steps in this forum post.

Patrick

Now running 3.0.1 Patch 3

I have attached a screenshot of the Edit :: Links dialogue. It refers to fundprices.transposed.ods, which exists.

I have solved my problem via BFI. I transferred the tabs from the original to a blank spreadsheet one by one, each time saving and reloading. that way I identified the tab causing the reload requests.

I found a few of these.

=DDE("soffice";"/Users/adam/fundPrices/fundPrices.transposed.ods";"Prices.d231")

Which match the attached file.

D'uh!

Thanks very much for your assistance in this.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject:

So everything is OK now? Or are there are still any other issues left that you still cannot find a workaround for?

Patrick
BeastOfBodmin
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
So everything is OK now? Or are there are still any other issues left that you still cannot find a workaround for?

Everything is OK now. No further outstanding problems.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1