Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Template does not work?
Template does not work?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slothro
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Template does not work?

Hi,

I´m using, a template, which should have margins at the first page which differ from the following pages (to print letterheads).
The template doesn´t work the way I think (there is no footer, always have to arrange the page numbers, etc.) but I guess, this is my fault, because I´m too flimsy to check the help and to lern the applications handling. (Are there any tips?)

BUT: this first page margin stuff, does not work: When I open the document a second time or share it with colleagues, the special first page margins are gone and we always have to check the page margins to print on letterheads.
Same problem in v. 2.x as in 3.0

btw, when I try searching this topic, I get always
"Sorry, this Module isn't active!" back.

Thank´s a lot
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject:

It sound like you need to do some work with page Styles in your template document. You need one page style for the first page, and a different page style for the following pages. See the Neowiki article on Using Page Styles. (This is a link to the English version of the article. The article is also available in French, Italian, and Spanish: see the links at the very bottom of the English wiki article).

In terms of the search error on the forums, instead of using the search box near the top, use the Search icon just above the blue forum bar. (In a line with other icons labeled Forum FAQ, Search, Usergroups, etc.)

Lorinda
slothro
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject:

Yes I´m supposed to lern using page styles, in general.

But I created a working page style / template (prob. it´s called "master document") with different page styles for the first and the following pages. When I open a new text document, write text, save, print ..., it´s all fine: first page is letterheaded, following pages are not. But when I close this doc and open it later on a second time, the style / template "forgot" the page margins.
o.k.
When I copy all the text, open a new text document, paste the text: it´s all fine: The first page has the page margins for letterheads, the following not.
I guess, it is not assumed, that a document changes the page margins after saving and closing?
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject:

A master document is not the same as a template. Master documents are a way to combine several documents (e.g. chapters) into one large document (e.g. a book).

In what format are you saving the documents? (i.e. odt, doc, docx, etc.)

Lorinda
slothro
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject:

o.k. it´s just a template.
Unfortunately I have to save as .doc, (due to colleagues, who won´t stop using MSWord). Please don´t tell me that´s the problem.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:

I would like to clarify something:

Do the page margins change when you save and close a .doc file in NeoOffice and you open it again in NeoOffice?

What about when the .doc file is opened in Microsoft Word?

--fran
slothro
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:

Do the page margins change when you save and close a .doc file in NeoOffice and you open it again in NeoOffice?

Yes

narf wrote:

What about when the .doc file is opened in Microsoft Word?

Same effect, tested with Office:Mac v.X.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject:

slothro wrote:
o.k. it´s just a template.
Unfortunately I have to save as .doc, (due to colleagues, who won´t stop using MSWord). Please don´t tell me that´s the problem.

My apologies if I sounded short or critical. I was in a hurry, so I was less attentive to the tone of my post than usual.

It may indeed be related to saving it as a .doc file, but there may still be a solution. Can you tell us what margins, footers, etc. you have set? Then we can try to reproduce it ourselves.

I've not generally had trouble with Page styles staying set when saving as .doc files, but my page styles tend to be relatively simple, which is why I'd like to try using the same settings you are.

Lorinda
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject:

slothro wrote:
Unfortunately I have to save as .doc, (due to colleagues, who won´t stop using MSWord). Please don´t tell me that´s the problem

I have some bad news, most likely the problem with page margins changing in a document when saved by NeoOffice in .doc file format and opened in Microsoft Word is that NeoOffice cannot fully convert your document to Word format. Microsoft Word is a set of proprietary file formats so non-Microsoft applications like NeoOffice have had to reverse engineer Microsoft's file format. As a result, there can be a loss of formatting when opening a .doc file created in NeoOffice in Microsoft Word.

Unfortunately, reverse engineering file formats is outside of our expertise (our expertise is getting Windows and Linux code working smoothly on Mac OS X) and so we rely on the tiny team of OpenOffice.org engineers that Sun Microsystems employs to reverse engineer these file formats.

If you think the problem is the reverse file formatting what you can do is file a bug in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers and if they fix the bug, the new behavior will get included in a future release of NeoOffice:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Note : our advice is to not mention NeoOffice as mentioning NeoOffice may cause OOo volunteers to accidentally close it without actually reviewing your bug.

--fran
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:

Oops. I quoted the wrong post in my last post so it probably makes no sense how I came to the conclusion that the problem is in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org .doc file import/export code.

I meant to quote the following:

slothro wrote:
narf wrote:

Yes

By saving and reopening the file entirely within NeoOffice, the content on the screen is converted to .doc using OpenOffice.org's export code and then reopening uses OpenOffice.org's code to convert the .doc file back to NeoOffice's native OpenDocument format (ODF).

Since saving and reopening the document entirely within NeoOffice causes changes in format, that narrows down the most likely cause to OpenOffice.org's .doc file import/export code.

Sorry for the confusion,

--fran
slothro
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
My apologies if I sounded short or critical. I was in a hurry, so I was less attentive to the tone of my post than usual.
Lorinda

Lorinda: please do not worry about that. It´s rather my fault, if there is any touchy connotation due to my untrained english.
I´m very grateful for every help.

Fran:
Actually the Problem occurs only in the .doc Format.
Since I had the problem when re-opening the files in NeoOffice, I thought (hoped) it had another reason.

I will try to get the Problem in the OO bugfix some time, remembering your advice.
Better I get all my colleagues to use NeoOffice. Unfortunately we still have some old iMacs, which are too old to run NeoOffice, I think (have tried it a year or two ago with no success).

There´s another Problem I will post separately later on.

Thank´s a lot for your help.
slothro
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:
Oops. I quoted the wrong post in my last post ....
--fran

No problem, I thought so.
Thanks again.
slothro
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject:

Here is the openoffice bugfix-entry / id: They still knew it, but there is no resolution.

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=73533
mtulipc
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject:

You can also turn your document into a .pdf and then everyone can open it, though they can't modify it.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1