Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New problems with Neooffice 3.0.2 patch 1
New problems with Neooffice 3.0.2 patch 1

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sioban
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: New problems with Neooffice 3.0.2 patch 1

Since I installed Neooffice 3.0.2 patch1 I meet several new problems with Writter (on a MacbookPro and Mac Mini both with Snow Leopard 10.6.2) :
- impossible to modify colum's size of table with the mouse
- impossible to create or modify tabulations in the ruler with the mouse
- when selecting a text the information in the toolbar (size / bold /underline...) are false (give the informations of a previous text selected)
- the table's toolbar doesn't want "to stay in my document" : each time I open it I need to look for it (with the previous Neoffice version 3.0.2 this toolbar was opened with the document)

Thanks for your help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: New problems with Neooffice 3.0.2 patch 1

sioban wrote:
- impossible to modify colum's size of table with the mouse
- impossible to create or modify tabulations in the ruler with the mouse

Does your table problems occur in all documents or only in a specific document?

I ask this because I cannot reproduce these problems that you describe. When I am opened a new Writer document and inserted a new table, the Table toolbar appeared whenever I put the cursor into any of the table's cells and disappeared whenever I moved the cursor outside of the table. I was also able to resize the table or its cells when I moved the mouse over a cell border and, when the mouse cursor changed to a set of arrows, dragged the mouse.

If the problems occur only in a specific document, can you attach a sample document that we can use to try to reproduce this problem on our machines? You can attach a document using the steps in this forum post.

sioban wrote:
- when selecting a text the information in the toolbar (size / bold /underline...) are false (give the informations of a previous text selected)

I don't understand the problem. This is normal behavior (and has been in every version of NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code) when you select text that has different sizes or attributes. For example, if part of your hightlighted text is 12 point and the rest is 10 point, the Size field will be blank. The same happens for the bold, italic, and underline buttons: when each attribute is enabled in some, but not all, of the highlighted text, the toolbar button will show as disabled.

sioban wrote:
- the table's toolbar doesn't want "to stay in my document" : each time I open it I need to look for it (with the previous Neoffice version 3.0.2 this toolbar was opened with the document)

I don't understand this problem either. The Table toolbar only appears when you move the cursor into a table. If it automatically appeared when you opened a document, it is because the cursor was positioned in a table cell when you opened the document.

Does clicking a table cell cause the Table toolbar to appear? If not or you want the Table toolbar to always be displayed, then select the View :: Toolbars :: Table menu so that it is checked.

Patrick
sioban
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: New problems with Neooffice 3.0.2 patch 1

Indeed : the problems appeared just when I upgraded but only on the document on which I work. It's a document of 1,6 MB. I tried to delete the images in order to obtain a ligh document (392 Kb) and all the problems I described are solved...
Is there restrictions with the document's size ?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New problems with Neooffice 3.0.2 patch 1

sioban wrote:
Is there restrictions with the document's size ?

There are some restrictions on the size of file that you upload. The limit is about 1 megabyte. Does the problem if you delete some but not all of the images in your document? If yes and you can get the file size below 1 megabyte, can you attach the file?

It would not surprise me if you have found a bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice 3.1.1 .doc import code. In Patch 1, we upgraded the .doc file import and export code to use the newer OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code as the older OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code that we used in Patch 0 had some bugs with tables that could only be fixed by upgrading.

Patrick
sioban
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:

So strange...
Today evening I am working on the same document that met the problems but for the first time for 4 days nothing's going wrong !
If it appears again I will try to save the document with a smallest size and send it to you.
Sorry for disturbing you...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject:

sioban wrote:
So strange...
Today evening I am working on the same document that met the problems but for the first time for 4 days nothing's going wrong !
If it appears again I will try to save the document with a smallest size and send it to you.
Sorry for disturbing you...

You are not the first person that has had such a problem so I am happy that you reported this.

I still suspect that the upgrade to the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 .doc import code is caused what you saw so I am curious if anything that you did like rebooting your machine or quitting and restarting NeoOffice stopped this problem.

Patrick
sioban
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I needed to go on working on the same document then I managed to work by leaving Neooffice and coming back immediately : like that I could modify the table's size but the problems came after a very short while (and I had to leave and come back again)... except today evening !
As soon as I could identify the operation that causes this I will inform you.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. It sounds like NeoOffice is confused as to the state of the mouse and switching to another application and back to NeoOffice somehow resets things.

I will take a look at the NeoOffice code to see if any of the changes in Patch 1 might potentially affect mouse event processing.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Today I encountered similar problems on my machine while fixing bug 3592. After fix that bug, which also appeared in Patch 1, I have not yet seen any of the problems reoccur so I am hoping that the fix for that other bug also fixes your problem.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the fix for that other bug also fixes your problem?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-1-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
sioban
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject:

The patch is installed and I'am going to work with Neooffice this morning. I let you know the result as soon as possible.
(Yesterday I met the same problems always after a while but I didn't manage to identify the operation that causes it...)
sioban
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject:

All the problems I met are fixed by your patch.
Thanks a lot !
Wordweaver09
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: I have had the same problems, and the patch solved them too.

I have experienced the same problem (instead of resizing table columns and rows with the mouse, neooffice marked the table's content, though resizing worked normally for the first few attempts. Closing the document and opening it again solved the problem temporarily until the next few resizings). The bug fix posted by Patrick seems to have fixed the problem with my Neooffice, too. Thank you, I like working with neooffice, so the problem was quite a nuisance. Thanks again for the quick solution.

Since I tend to work a lot with tables, I'm confident in saying the problem must be a bug in the latest neooffice version (3.0.2) or patch 1, I've never noticed it before.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I have had the same problems, and the patch solved them

Wordweaver09 wrote:
Since I tend to work a lot with tables, I'm confident in saying the problem must be a bug in the latest neooffice version (3.0.2) or patch 1, I've never noticed it before.

I can confirm that the bug was caused by a change in Patch 1.

I am waiting for a few other confirmations that the test patch fixes this bug. If they confirm that the bug is fixed for them, I will release Patch 2 with the fix this weekend.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix in NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 2.

The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1