Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Removing Default Autotext entries
Removing Default Autotext entries

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCUK
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Removing Default Autotext entries

New user to Neo. Having just gone PC to Mac I wanted to get right away from the Gates crowd and am so far doing well and enjoying Neo.
I have set up a few Autotexts that I use regularly but one of them keeps defaulting back to the standard option.
I want to use P-f3 to insert PIC but it keeps returning to the default PERSONAL entry.
How do I delete the default entry in favour of the one I want?
Thanks,
PC
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Default Autotext entries

I think you may have incorrectly added "PIC" as to your AutoText entries. I used the following steps and after doing these steps, typing the P-F3 keys inserts "PIC" into my document instead of "PERSONAL":

1. Type "PIC" in a Writer document and select the "PIC" characters with your mouse

2. Select the Edit :: AutoText menu and in the dialog that appears, type "PIC" in the "Name" field, type "P" in the "Shortcut" field, and click on the "My AutoText" line in the list of AutoText categories

3. Press on the AutoText button and select the New option in the popup menu that appears

4. Press the close button to close the dialog and type the P-F3 keys.

Do the above steps make typing the P-F3 keys work for you?

Patrick
PCUK
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Autotext Problem

Thanks for the prompt reply.
The method you have provided works in all new and current documents until I quit Writer. Once I re-open it, it has again defaulted to the PERSONAL entry.
Ideally I would like to delete all the default Autotext entries as none suit my needs.

Cheers,
PC
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Autotext Problem

PCUK wrote:
The method you have provided works in all new and current documents until I quit Writer. Once I re-open it, it has again defaulted to the PERSONAL entry.
Ideally I would like to delete all the default Autotext entries as none suit my needs.

You can remove default AutoText entries, but first you have to do some steps to remove the "read-only" restriction on the default entries. Here are the steps that I found that will allow you to delete any of the default entries:

1. Quit NeoOffice

2. In the Finder, find the NeoOffice application icon in the /Applications folder and Control-click on it. In the popup menu that appears, select the Show Package Contents option. A "Contents" folder will appear in the Finder. Open that folder, then open the "basis-link" subfolder and then open its "share" subfolder.

3. At this point you should see an "autotext" subfolder. Control-click on that folder and in the popup menu that appears, select the "Get Info" option.

4. A window will appear. In that window, expand the "Ownership & Permissions" item and unlock any locked entries in the "Details" section. Then, change the "Owner" field to your user. Mac OS X will ask you for your user's login password to verify that you have permission to change this setting.

5. Once you change the "Owner" field, then change the "You can" field to "Read & Write" and press the "Apply to enclosed items" button.

6. Launch NeoOffice and select the Edit :: AutoText menu and expand the "Standard" item in the category list. Click on the "PERSONAL" entry and click on the AutoText button. In the popup menu that appears, you should now see a "Delete" option. Select that option and that entry will be permanently deleted.

Do the above steps permanently remove AutoText entries for you? If so, be aware that if you reinstall NeoOffice or install a new version in the future, you will need to repeat the above steps. Installing patches or language packs, however, won't force you to repeat the above steps.

Patrick
PCUK
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject:

Success,
Many thanks,
Control-click is also going to be a generally useful piece of advice for me to experiment with.
Thanks again,
Peter
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject:

PCUK wrote:
Control-click is also going to be a generally useful piece of advice for me to experiment with.

You can do a right-click in place of a Control-click. I always write Control-click in steps because there are still a lot of NeoOffice users with older Macs that have only a single mouse button.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1