· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can't print; then can't quit
Can't print; then can't quit

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to be late answering, but I had to be away for most of the day.

I'm not aware that a grammar checker is installed. At one time, there was a grammar checker in MS Word on this machine, but that stuff was uninstalled quite a while ago -- I thought. At any rate, I have not installed any add-ons in NeoOffice to the best of my knowledge.

In answer to your other question, the file I was printing in NeoOffice was only two pages long, while the one being printed from TextEdit was one page long. To make the comparison as fair as possible, I now have an odt file and a txt file with exactly the same content, and both are one page long.

Printing from TextEdit was immediate; printing from NeoOffice was delayed 6 minutes and 17 seconds. Here are the samples taken in those two cases.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject:

IdahoBackwoods wrote:
Printing from TextEdit was immediate; printing from NeoOffice was delayed 6 minutes and 17 seconds. Here are the samples taken in those two cases.

Are you actually taking the NeoOffice sample during that 6 minute wait? I ask because in your latest sample I see no printing code executing. In fact, NeoOffice is sitting wait for the next mouse or key event.

If you are actually taking the sample during that 6 minute wait, can you try the following and measure the time for each of the following to complete?:

1. Select the Print toolbar button or File :: Print menu, but don't press the Print button in the print dialog that appears. Instead, press the Preview button and measure how long it takes the Preview application to open and display your document.

2. If the above step takes several minutes, force NeoOffice to recreate your user preference files with default preferences by quitting NeoOffice, moving the following folders if they exist to the Desktop, restarting NeoOffice, and repeating the above step.

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2

Note: "~" means your Home folder.

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject:

You're right; I was taking the sample after the page had printed.

This time, however, I took the sample while NeoOffice was hung for more than 6 minutes, waiting for Print Preview to appear.

Then I deleted ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0 and restarted NeoOffice with the same 1-page text file. Again it took more than 6 minutes to display Print Preview, and during that time I took a sample.

Here are the samples:
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the new sample. Your latest sample indicates that Apple's Java code is still trying to make a network connection to your printer but in a different function than the one I overrode.

In other words, Apple's Java code tries to connect to your printer multiple times and each takes 2 minutes to time out so I have to see if I can find a way to avoid all of these connection attempts.

I need to investigate the Apple Java code further. I will post when I have something else for you to try.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject:

This probably will not fix the hanging, but I am hoping that it bypasses the Apple Java code that tries to connect to your printer.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the hanging bug is fixed for you? If NeoOffice still hangs, can you attach a new sample of the NeoOffice application so that we can see where the hanging has moved to?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-2-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-2-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject:

Good news! That time it did not hang; it printed right away.

Thank you!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject:

IdahoBackwoods wrote:
Good news! That time it did not hang; it printed right away.

Can you keep testing this test patch for the next few days by pressing the Preview button in the print dialog after using NeoOffice every 30 minutes or so? I after you press the Preview button and the Preview application appears, switch back to NeoOffice and see if you can quit NeoOffice by pressing the Command-Q keys.

Does NeoOffice quit or ask you to save your unsaved changes as expected? If not, please let us know. When I was first testing my fix, I ran into a problem where pressing the Command-Q keys stopped working but I have not been able to reproduce it since that one time.

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject:

Sure, I'll do that....
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
...Can you keep testing this test patch for the next few days by pressing the Preview button in the print dialog after using NeoOffice every 30 minutes or so? I after you press the Preview button and the Preview application appears, switch back to NeoOffice and see if you can quit NeoOffice by pressing the Command-Q keys...Does NeoOffice quit or ask you to save your unsaved changes as expected?...

I had a bunch of files to work on today, and tried your experiment several dozen times. So far, so good: was able to quit normally every time so far.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:

IdahoBackwoods wrote:
I had a bunch of files to work on today, and tried your experiment several dozen times. So far, so good: was able to quit normally every time so far.

That is good news. Please keep using the test patch and if you don't find any problems, I will include the fix in our next official NeoOffice patch in early April 2010.

Patrick
IdahoBackwoods
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Can you keep testing this test patch for the next few days by pressing the Preview button in the print dialog after using NeoOffice every 30 minutes or so? I after you press the Preview button and the Preview application appears, switch back to NeoOffice and see if you can quit NeoOffice by pressing the Command-Q keys.

Does NeoOffice quit or ask you to save your unsaved changes as expected?

Still testing your patch, and still seeing no problem. After printing to Preview, I click on the NeoOffice window and am able to quit NeoOffice normally, leaving the Preview window on the screen. Then I quit that. I've done this dozens and dozens of times now, and have seen nothing abnormal.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix in NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 3. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

If the bug still occurs in NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 3, please let us know and we will do more investigation of this bug.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2