NeoOffice :: View topic - Genesis of the new weapons
Genesis of the new weapons

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: centered tabs

OPENSTEP wrote:
Well the tabs are now centered at the top of the control, so it's getting a bit more looking like normal:

Nice. I wouldn't worry about the few multiple tabs too much. these are only a few cases. I suggest fixing the vertical and especially horizontal postion of the content of the new widgets first. That crops up everywhere..

Also, it seems like Florian Heckl is working on native file dialogs. I have no idea how or what, but it might be worth getting in touch with him when that particular dialog gets its time in the sun...

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: centered tabs

ovvldc wrote:
Also, it seems like Florian Heckl is working on native file dialogs. I have no idea how or what, but it might be worth getting in touch with him when that particular dialog gets its time in the sun...

??? The last time I checked, X11 display is a separate application from the OOo application (X11 works on a client-server model). So, having OOo X11 display a native dialog is like Neo telling Finder to display a native dialog: one application has the document windows and a completely separate application will have the native dialog. Besides the issues of trying to keep one application's native file dialog in front of a different application's document windows, I suspect that this will add some especially fun debugging when the X11 event dispatch thread and native dispatch thread occasionally deadlock within the OOo process.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Not to mention OOo X11 doesn't have a run loop...and you can't enforce cross-application modal windowing on OS X aside from kiosk mode...

Native file dialogs are something completely different from the NWF framework. They go through the fpicker framework and are completely independent. I may go tackle them at a later time but won't even think of beginning until the new weapons are complete.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
I would like to try even if it will make my screen explode and I am compiling under Tiger Wink

The answer is obvious. You need to return to the source...

ed

/trust me, it's hilarious once you find out what it is
//I thought once the one returns to the source it's over
///well, funny at least to me
////pound define?
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Ahh, Programmer / Matrix humor! Cool Arrow Very good ... grasshopper

Philip (at least they have cool sun glasses Cool Shocked Cool )
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

btw, if the ed aqua work will be running only on tiger machine, how many neooffice 2 version will be there? neooffice non acqua panther ppc, neooffice tiger aqua ppc and neooffice tiger aqua intel?
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject:

Right now I'm leaning to just doing the detection at runtime. The single binary will use NWF where supported (10.4+) and will turn it off dynamically for 10.3. 10.3 isn't supported on released Intel machines, so NWF should always wind up being supported on Mactel.

ed
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The answer is obvious. You need to return to the source...

OK - so I found it, and it looks like I can do it this way, but before taking all the time to compile (and not have it work), I thought I'd check. Can I just set the appropriate "-D" option in the NEO_BUILD_ARGS command line parameter to make? (It appears that's all I need to do from looking at the makefile, but I don't get the `alias build` stuff from the openoffice build system...)

-Nathan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

toonetown wrote:
OK - so I found it, and it looks like I can do it this way, but before taking all the time to compile (and not have it work), I thought I'd check. Can I just set the appropriate "-D" option in the NEO_BUILD_ARGS command line parameter to make? (It appears that's all I need to do from looking at the makefile, but I don't get the `alias build` stuff from the openoffice build system...)

NEO_BUILD_ARGS only passes arguments to OOo's "build" command. Instead, you need to manually add the -D option to the ENVCDEFS in the appropriate build/Mac.*Java.Set file.

Patrick
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject:

The "new weapons" look great - and I know it's a work in progress - but here is one place where weirdness with the tabs happens (this is the full width of the dialog...):

I got here by going to "Format | Paragraph" in writer.

OS X 10.4, compiled myself today. I thought it might help you track down some issues you have come across...

-Nathan
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Here's the funny thing...the tab controls layout just fine on my box here for that same dialog at its default size. Like I said, it's still buggy as h**l and who knows what the problem may be in this case. Offhand it may either be monitor size related or font metric related.

Right now I haven't been actively trying to bugfix anything and rather concentrating on fleshing out a full widget set. Basically, I am hoping to get any patches to the base OOo code for NWF extension solidified by the time we're ready to start with building code that eventually will be the basis for the beta release. Rebuilding the base OOo code is really a royal pain in the butt and will hopefully be minimized.

Additionally, before it goes out the door to actual people I think there needs to be a way to turn it off at runtime precisely to work around any of these odd bugs since, obviously, we don't have the resources to visually inspect thousands of windows and dialogs in every conceivable language (yes, internationalization will probably be an issue since different languages use fonts with different metrics and strings of different widths). While I try to use it in my day to day builds, I frequently wind up swapping back in the version built without Aqua controls due to some usability bug.

There's going to need to be a significant period of bug fixing as well as optimization for the slapdash way it's cobbled together Smile If you are playing with your development build, keep a track of any of these cases you see as it'll be helpful when I start spending the time concentrating on bug fixes and trying to recreate setups that confuse the logic.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Proper tab panes emerge:

They do not adapt to changes in segmented control height due to changes in user interface font (see bugs above, etc.), but it does help the overall look with the muted tone and curved edges, no? Very Happy

ed

/out of beer
//sometimes john adams rules everything around me
///i am the wife of mao tse tung

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:

Don't you mean SAM Adams? Wink

Nice tab job!
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: pretty ... colors

VERY NICE.

It's amazing how nice this looks. It looks like you are doing an outstanding job of find your way through the land mines/minds of the Aqua interface.

Looks like we will have LOTS of items to test when you release this code. Many, MANY little details to find, and fix. I would be honored to help debug these issues (am I just sucking up so I can play with Aqua tabs ... maybe?!? Wink )

Thanks to ALL for their efforts.

Philip (4 Days until NeoOffice 2.OH! Intel Alpha! Shocked )

p.s. and this time I'm going to splurge for the entire 2.OH! series EAP subscription! Woo HOOOOOOO
p.s.s. anyone got a spare Intel Mac?? Crying or Very sad
knoxer
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Wow, I can't wait to try this out.... but I will wait patiently...

I just realized I've been reading these boards for over 3 years and have only posted 15 times, does that make me some kind of super lurker? Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 8 of 27