Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Printing problems with NeoOffice/J 0.7
Printing problems with NeoOffice/J 0.7

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcavaliere
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Apologies...

I do apologize for offending anyone. That was not my intention. Thinking back I missed the point I was trying to make by a wide margin. (Note to self: no long winded forum messages early in the morning and before the second cup of expresso.)

One of the amazing things about Mac's is their productive longevity. Probably the next amazing thing I've found is just how devoted some folks can be to their old Macs. That's a good and bad thing. There have been so many changes over the last 8 years that it's difficult and expensive to keep up.

All my Macs have been used or refurbs. Even my new (soon to be delivered) iMac is a refurb and that money truly could probably been spent better elsewhere. The deal and timing were right. Several jars of loose change will make a dent in that bill.

As for the Canon printer issue, I'd guess there's a corrupted cache somewhere. I remember this being a bit of a hassle back then with Jaguar. A trip to the Apple forums could also help. Panther can also be had relatively inexpensively and it's a big improvement over Jaguar.

Yes, I do consider NeoOffice/OpenOffice to be modern apps even though I started with StarOffice 5 (before Sun), way back when. Maybe the code is a bit old but the concept and functionality are very "now". Few programs integrate functions so well. Well, maybe AppleWorks does, but, it's a far simpler app and no longer being developed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:

kc said:

"As for the Canon printer issue, I'd guess there's a corrupted cache somewhere. I remember this being a bit of a hassle back then with Jaguar. A trip to the Apple forums could also help. Panther can also be had relatively inexpensively and it's a big improvement over Jaguar."

Interesting theory. If the old Epson printer is what's in the cache that could explain the print jobs not being recognized by the new Canon in its place by Neo/J and why no print job ever shows up in the Print Center que box. It would also explain why the recently reinstalled OO_o would print as it now has only seen the Canon. Have noticed files called 'print' something or other in temp folder or 501 folder and some other odd places over the years. Any idea where this print cache is located that I could dump? Is it insde any Neo Folder somewhere?

Sure the corporate answer is to just ask "Why don't you just upgrade?" But thanks for helping to try and solve the problem beyond that canned solution.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Sure the corporate answer is to just ask "Why don't you just upgrade?" But thanks for helping to try and solve the problem beyond that canned solution.

I still think that the most likely problem is that you are bumping into one of the numerous printing bugs that I fixed between Neo/J 0.7 and 1.1. Neo/J 0.7 was my first stab at implementing printing and I expected that many bugs would be found. Hence the reason I named it "0.7" (which implies that it is an experimental release). Sure enough, many dozens of printing bugs, some very serious bugs were filed by Neo/J testers after that release and so I spent about 3 solid months of work (i.e. more than I spent to implement printing for Neo/J 0.7) fixing many of those bugs.

I sense that you might think that there is something magical about Neo/J 0.7, but since I wrote all the code myself, I can tell you that Neo/J 0.7 was the least tested release (and the buggiest) of all Neo/J releases. It just seems to me that you are spending an awful lot of your time trying to fix something that is most likely due to a bug in the Neo/J 0.7 code that was fixed later.

Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

Not really. Don't get me wrong, you are a very talented programmer and I wish you and the gang much success to the point that one day the world will wake up and realize they have a choice of WPs/Office Suites, not just billy's. That's all anyone really wants, well I can only speak for myself I guess. As an engineer, it just seems to me that if the same version worked with one printer, it should work with another (given the appropriate drivers of course), that's all. Same line of thinking for the Mac OS X version. I'll keep playin' for a while longer. I don't need to use Neo/J --> Neo so I can take this approach. From all I read in here, Neo just keeps getting better and better. My new Mac will have it on it, I promise and I'll keep spreadin' the Neo gospel...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
...As an engineer, it just seems to me that if the same version worked with one printer, it should work with another (given the appropriate drivers of course), that's all....

In theory, you are correct. However, after I released Neo/J 0.7, I found that several printing bugs were due to big bugs in Java 1.3.1. So, I had to write a bunch of native code avoid invoking Java's broken parts.

You may not be aware that you can run both Neo/J 0.7 and Neo/J 1.1 on the same machine for comparison purposes. If you want to try this out, you can do the following steps:

1. Quit Neo/J 0.7
2. Temporarily move or rename your /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app folder
3. Install Neo/J 1.1 (it will create a new /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app folder)
4. Move or rename the new /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app folder
5. Move or rename your old /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app folder from step 2 back to /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app

Since Neo/J 1.1 will put user preferences in a different directory than Neo/J 0.7, there should be no collision between the two. If you don't like Neo/J 1.1, you can delete it be simply moving it to the trash.

Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

First of all, I would like to thank you for staying "civil" during my hijack of Beto's post which lead to this separate thread by moderator smokey.

Secondly, what's another 300MB or so between friends? With your simple instructions provided, I just may add Neo/J 1.1 to the machine and run 1.1 for a bit to test your explanation on printer and Java 1.3.1 bugs, which of as you know, I'm still using (although at some point I will try the ResExcellence.com tip http://www.resexcellence.com/hack_html_03/11-18-03.shtml
to upgrade to Java 1.4 on OS X 10.2, actually it may be in Apple Menu Software Update, will check). Apparently you can also run Java 1.3.1 and Java 1.4 concurently on OS X.

Now, how's Beto and his .dmg problem coming along I wonder?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

Wanted to close the loop on this version 0.7 thing. The Neo crew will be pleased to know that a rainy Saturday gave me a good excuse to not have to work on the car yet again(can't even get a bike into our single car garage these days with all the crap in there) so I took the opportunity to d/l and upgrade to Neo/J 1.1 which is the highest for Mac OS X 10.2.x. Made sure I trashed all the old 0.7 related stuff first incl. Recepts package. Anyway I have one word for you all

N - I - C - E

It slightly faster, has the native OS X menus vs. that gorrid dark window gey which is lighter now, prints to the Canon A-I-O and looks M - A - H - V - E - L - O - U - S !

(Although stubborn me was tempted to reinstall ver. 0.7 just to prove to Pat that that was why the new printer was not working while the old one did which was installed before Neo)

Keep up the great Neo work fellas!!!!!!! On to Redmond!!!!!!!
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Some advice just turns out to be good Wink
Glad it works!
T.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Now go try version 1.2...seriously, after all the work Patrick's done on it I suspect you'd be impressed Wink

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Now go try version 1.2...seriously, after all the work Patrick's done on it I suspect you'd be impressed Wink

That requires Guest to upgrade to 10.3. One step at a time, Ed Wink

And Guest, welcome to the real deal! Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2