Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice on a Flash Drive
NeoOffice on a Flash Drive

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Sword
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Go away...

That's between me and Patrick.... go away unless you have something constructive to add.

Twisted Evil

Marcus
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

now now everyone, lets play nice.

have you tried running other programs from the flash drive on these computers? (to make sure that this unique to neo)

-j
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Solution...

Black_Sword wrote:
I think I need to reinstall Neo Office 1.2.2 but in a different way. I origionally installed the Office Suite directly to the Flash Drive. But, now I think I need to install the suite to my hard drive and then move it over to the flash drive because the USB was just not designed for that type of activity. What do you think?

That wouldn't hurt. But, if Neo 2.0 Alpha worked from the USB on one machine but not another, then the drive would seem to be OK but something is incompatible with the second.

Unfortunately, I don't have any USB drives, I just have hard disks so you may need to play around with installing in different locations. Installing and deleting NeoOffice doesn't cause any harm, it's just time consuming. The idea here is to see if there is some pattern that presents itself.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Another potential problem with moving the same drive between computers may be permissions. Do a "Get Info" on the flash drive, run down to "Owernership and Permissions" and make sure "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked. It's still not a panacea, but a lot of times permissions will get confused due to different uids and the like between different computers.

All of the symbolic links for the "dylib.#" files should also be relative to files in the Contents/MacOS directory of that bundle, but you may want to check those as well and see if they're referencing drives on the other computer.

ed
Black_Sword
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Success (Maybe)...

Well... do I feel stupid! Let me suggest that when you get a Flash Drive that states it is both Windows and Mac compatible, it would be a good idea to check the partition on it FIRST. It turns out that I think my major problem was that the Sony Micro Vault Flash Drive was partitioned as WIN FAT-32. I always wondered why the installation was taking SO LONG.

So, I erased the drive, repartitioned it as OS Extended, check that the ownership was ok, then reinstalled the software for Neo Office. So far it seems to be good and so do all the other apps. BUT, I'll let you know tomorrow what happens when I try it at work on the E-Macs we use. Keep your fingers crossed.

Confused Thanks to EVERYONE! Wish me luck.

Marcus
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:

If it does work for you, you may want to consider adding a page to the wiki on how to get Neo working successfully on removable flash media and all the little snafus you've encountered Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If it does work for you, you may want to consider adding a page to the wiki on how to get Neo working successfully on removable flash media and all the little snafus you've encountered Smile

Heh, we've had Using NeoOffice Outside of /Applications (which was written specifically for the USB flash drives origianlly) for a long time Wink

I did add the tip about ensuring the drive was formatted HFS Extended, though Smile

Smokey

Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Go away...

Black_Sword wrote:
That's between me and Patrick.... go away unless you have something constructive to add.

Black_Sword wrote:
Well... do I feel stupid!

Now see? You were wasting Patrick's time.

I was just being realistic. Especially since Patrick is a nice guy and gets easily distracted. Razz
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Heh, we've had Using NeoOffice Outside of /Applications (which was written specifically for the USB flash drives origianlly) for a long time Wink

I did add the tip about ensuring the drive was formatted HFS Extended, though Smile

Smokey

DARN! Is there anyTHING that you don't have a Wiki page for?!? Shocked Idea
Thanks to all for getting all this information captured.

Philip (is it just me, or does it seem that NeoOffice does (almost) everything you could want in an Aqua port?!? Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

How to locate the Kitchen Sink in NeoOffice? Wink

Actually, I'm pretty sure that article was originally written by Oscar (back in the days of the old wiki)....

And further along those lines...while I may have done a lot of the recent English wiki stuff, it's our wiki and we, the NeoOffice community, have written articles on all sorts of things Wink

Smokey
e pluribus unum

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
LemonAid wrote:
<edit>Thanks to all for getting all this information captured. </edit>

How to locate the Kitchen Sink in NeoOffice? Wink

Actually, I'm pretty sure that article was originally written by Oscar (back in the days of the old wiki)....

And further along those lines...while I may have done a lot of the recent English wiki stuff, it's our wiki and we, the NeoOffice community, have written articles on all sorts of things Wink

Smokey
e pluribus unum

First, Let me rephrase (I did say thanks to ALL...) - I meant to say "I am in A W E of the ALL the giants that support the NeoOffice Community", our Developers Of astounding Skill & Magic, all the little people who clean the spam, New Users who ask questions and uncover bugs, and ... (did I miss anyone? Embarassed ).

Really, I do try to include all the NeoOffice community when I say THANKS. (and many OOo contributers and Giants! )
Please understand that I hope/meant/intend to include all the known, and unknown, contributers when I offer ... praise.

Second, it does seems the Smokey knows many "hidden" gems in the Wiki. And seems to have edited most pages, and more. Smile

Big THANKS to ALL the NeoOffice community.
This a Wonder-full fora and I value time and communications I find here. Tanks ALL!

Philip (going to stand in the corner Crying or Very sad, and look for the "Sink, Kitchen - Neo Use of?" Wink )
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

=) you know, i host the wiki and don't even know what all is there...

it really is a community effort, and as the community grows, so does it.

not to meantion smokey has his hands in all of the pages Wink

so consider this a plug, if you want to help, don't know what to do? wiki!!!

-j, ninja seeking geshia
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

And also don't forget you can contribute to the wiki by translating content too if you're not comfortable coming up with anything original Smile A lot of the time I don't have the free time to write up a wiki page on something or a FAQ but people will take response from e-mail or the forums and try to summarize them up in a good wiki page. Even just doing that kind of editing takes a lot of time and is very helpful Very Happy

ed
Black_Sword
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: SUCCESS!

Patrick, ed, j the ninja, and Phillip, et al.,

SUCCESS! I transferred this from Neo Office 1.2.2 running on my 1GB Sony Micro Vault Flash Drive. It has worked on every Mac I have tried it on so far. Though it takes a moment or two to load, it works nicely so no complaints here! Thanks again to one and all for such a great open source community. I'll be coming back for the 2.0 release later after I get used to all that Neo Office has to offer. Thanks again.

Marcus
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

excellent!

was there anything you think we should add to that wiki page? (other than remembering it was there...lol)

-j
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3