Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can we/should we promote the NeoOffice beta?
Can we/should we promote the NeoOffice beta?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Macslash. I'll save /. for the release Smile

W
(not signed in.)
This has the best comments

EAP - don't bi*ch - Source is free!
Java - NO, it's NOT Written in JAVA
Quote:
Only the Aqua layer -- the integration with the menu bar, dialogs, windowing, fonts, printing, etc. -- uses Java. The rest is native. The whole concept of Neo office is that they found Java was a more practical way to deliver Aqua integration, since the OpenOffice.org (OO.o) codebase is not well-suited to Aqua integration, and the OO.o developers and tried and failed for years to figure out how to do a true Aqua version, which is why using real OO.o on a Mac requires X11.

Philip ( best non-tech description I've seen - in a while Wink )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

What I have found most interesting is that people seem to think paying to be an early adopter is backwards.

In actuality, nearly every consumer electronics or computer product sold is based on this model. Think about it. The first clunk iPod cost a small fortune and then gets cheaper in price and more stable. Then the cool new iPod comes along and it is significantly more expensive and the process repeats. If you bought a MacBook Pro, you might have even noticed that you really are a beta tester given the repair issues that Apple has seen. Wink

Intel has used this model for 20 years now: charge as much as you can for the first units and steadily lower the price of later units.

It still is a strange business model but I think we have only ourselves to blame. In general, many of us who buy electronics and computers want the latest greatest and we will pay for it. Buying last year's model is not desired. I don't know why many of us do this (I buy used stuff), but it is clear that this is how many people make their purchasing decisions.

Crazy, huh?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
BTW, the screenshots page on the wiki is a bit outdated. Will someone update it, so that I can keep salivating until the EAP runs out Wink? Something with the new icons as well as showing off the aqua goodness.

I'm working on it...just lots to do right now, and lots of heat Sad

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
I was trying to respond to the above tuaw.com post and could not (quickly) find the TEXT that says " Neo use SOME java, Cocoa, etc" anyplace other than the Wiki - front page.

You probably want NeoOffice and Aqua for all your technical question-answering needs Wink

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I'm working on it...just lots to do right now, and lots of heat Sad

So I hear. We got hit all of July but it is pretty rainy now. Actually, I love warm weather but everyone else complained Wink.

Good luck with it, and keep your head cool Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
LemonAid wrote:
I was trying to respond to the above tuaw.com post and could not (quickly) find the TEXT that says " Neo use SOME java, Cocoa, etc" anyplace other than the Wiki - front page.

You probably want NeoOffice and Aqua for all your technical question-answering needs Wink

Smokey
That's it, THAT'S IT Exclamation Smokey does it AGAIN! Laughing

I KNEW I had seen the details somewhere but could not remember just where (and I was in a ... hurry! ). I still think that a distilled version, 1-2 sentences, would be good for the Home/into./Wiki pages.
At least it will give us a public URL to point folks to - when they ask/say that same thing... Rolling Eyes

Philip (surprised/happy at all the coverage of Aqua Beta Wink )

<edit>NeoOffice and Aqua
Quote:
So...is NeoOffice written in Java? -- No.
NeoOffice is a Mac OS X native version of OpenOffice.org that uses small amounts of Java code for graphics drawing and configuration (to replace the X11 interface).
OpenOffice.org is written primarily in platform-agnostic C++. However, NeoOffice takes advantage of Mac OS X's advanced Java integration to tap into the Mac OS X look-and-feel.

<More details> In other words, the little bits of Java in NeoOffice primarily have to do with operations that affect how the application appears to the user. The "guts" of the office suite are written in C++. (The code that makes up NeoOffice is 99% OpenOffice.org code shared among all OpenOffice.org platforms and 1% Mac OS X-specific code in Java, C++, C, and Objective-C.)

Last edited by LemonAid on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Quick osnews blurb.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject:

Following up on Patrick's comments, the other things that people are not aware of are our attitude towards non-Final releases and support during EAP periods. Neither Patrick nor I believe in releasing something before it's ready for release. I've heard some folks even mention that our Alpha/Beta software is sometimes more stable than commercial closed source software. I myself have been using this code daily in my production environment for months, ferreting out bugs of all kinds. I am my own early adopter and eat what I shovel. And let me tell you, it gets really annoying when you're writing a spec that's due for your real job by the end of the day and the scrollbar thumbs don't work. Gives you motivation to fix it and fix it right (yes, the scrollbar thumbs work just fine in Aqua Beta thank you very much...this was over a month ago).

Another thing to keep in mind is that during EAP membership periods we kick support up a notch. Filed bugs get reviewed on a very regular basis and, depending on the issue, sometimes there's even a downloadable installable fix within less than 24 hours. Try getting that level of support from Microsoft, or any commercial company for that matter! It's our way of showing we work hard, and yes, showing our appreciation for all of the EAP members. Of course we can't address all bugs to that same level (and some may not be able to address at all, unfortunately), but we try to go the extra mile.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Quick osnews blurb.

ed
WoW,
Excellent comments. I have never seen so many people figure out that it's a "fund Raiser", or the Value is so GREAT.

It's almost a ... surprise to see so many positive comments.

Philip ( always surprised when things are going ... well Wink )

\ Batten down the hatches - I think NeoOffice has ... turned into an overnite success - after how may years!!! Rolling Eyes
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2