NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

MacRat wrote:
Guest wrote:
No offense rays, but maybe the problematic version should be a "freebie". If I end up borking my system, I'd rather not have paid $25 smackers for the privilege first...

So go buy a copy of Tiger already and then you can use the latest and greatest software.

He can probably grab 10.3 for $25 at this point and download the free version(s) of Neo and still come out ahead. Wink

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Well, I was all set to get a MacBook with Tiger goodness but didn't get the replacement job I was seeking, so watching my finances right now just in case my current situation doesn't work out...
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Well, I was all set to get a MacBook with Tiger goodness but didn't get the replacement job I was seeking, so watching my finances right now just in case my current situation doesn't work out...

Well, if you can't keep your Mac up to date, I hope you aren't applying for IT positions. Twisted Evil
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

MacRat wrote:
Guest wrote:

Well, if you can't keep your Mac up to date, I hope you aren't applying for IT positions. Twisted Evil

Bad MacRat Rolling Eyes B a d - grin
Kicking a poor guy when he doesn't have the funds to buy a NEW MacBook. Rolling Eyes
That's just ... not nice! Twisted Evil

Guest - I feel your pain - I have been in unknown finances situation before. Even worse when it delays purchasing of a new MacBook. Crying or Very sad I'm saving my pennies for a new Mac - maybe by the end of the year. Rolling Eyes

Sorry that there is no ... zero cost to upgrade to the newer NeoOffice.
Getting an old version of 10.3, for ~$25 may be your best bet.

Philip ( trying NOT to hold his breath until he can afford a new Intel Mac! Wink )
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
No offense rays, but maybe the problematic version should be a "freebie". If I end up borking my system, I'd rather not have paid $25 smackers for the privilege first...

Well, there's costs involved at Rays' end, and you'll be donating to NeoOffice development as well Smile. I understand your feeling, but you can't scrape off everything. Either take the risk or do not..

However, the suggestion to invest $25 in Panther is a very good one and more likely to make you a happy mac user.

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Seriously though, man, if you're that hard-strapped for cash that you can't either afford hardware supported by XPostFacto you may want to consider evaluating your options. Even MS Office v.X has had flaws on those OSes.

If I were in your position, knowing how many security patches have been issued by Apple for both 10.3 and 10.4 and *not* 10.2, I'd strongly consider updating to an OS for which Apple is patching security holes. If you can't, lock down everything you can and unplug your network cable otherwise you may find someone unknown person drinking away your bank account.

While part of me criticizes Apple for not patching security flaws in 10.2, most of me finds it understandable; it really isn't their responsibility to provide updates forever. After all, not even GM provides cheap parts available OEM for a late 60's Corvette.

Even Microsoft acknowledges that there are security flaws in Win95 and Win98 that MS wlll never patch. Even Adobe has discontinued support for OS 9 applications. Even Ford has uncovered gas tank flaws in unserviced Pintos that will also never be fixed.

Panther's release was nearly 3 years ago. I'm sorry that you can't afford newer operating systems or the hardware to run them, but we can't support something forever that's due to circumstances beyond our control.

ed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:

MacRat wrote:
Guest wrote:

Well, actually I was but since I'm not IT certified, I went back to civil engineering, which I'm degree'd in. Off to a rocky start csince it's been so long since I actually had to design stuff, hope to work my way back in before I get canned or have aheart attack... I am fairly confident in my self-taught IT skills, however. For me, Jag does what I need it to do, for now, when I eventually get that new Mac, I'll get the recent OS. On the PC side, still using Windows Me and my son uses XP, both free gifts. I only "pay" for Macs Wink
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Bad MacRat Rolling Eyes B a d - grin
Kicking a poor guy when he doesn't have the funds to buy a NEW MacBook. Rolling Eyes
That's just ... not nice! Twisted Evil

I am the evil Spock from the mirror universe!! Twisted Evil
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

MacRat wrote:
I am the evil Spock from the mirror universe!! Twisted Evil

Does that mean your ears point downwards?
taildragerdriver
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice for Mac 10.2

It is interesting to see this concept of desupporting older versions. I feel you are completely on the wrong track. I feel a Open Source project should provide all older versions since there is little or no cost.

One of the reasons I have stayed with Mac (now Linux too) for all these years is that. I hate applications that have upgraded and added many things I don't need. (FireFox really got this right with plugins) I for one always use the earliest version with what I need. With that concept I use less space and the applications almost alway run faster. I store all my database diagrams on MacDraw 1.9.6 I can store hundreds of them and have very minimal space usasge.

In some cases if new versions offer somthing I need I may upgrade but in most cases I will avoide it.

I recently had my Mac ibook die and got another. I forgot to save the install for 1.2.1 on my Linux server. I would like to get one from somebody if they have it. Not really interested in upgrading either OS or other NewOffice versions unless I need to usually no benifit except to IT sellers. I also find the longer Oo works the more obnoxious M$ like featrues we are stuck with.

I hate M$ word and have never used it. The application is completely inefficient. I probably will use Oo at work as we are working on moving all our documents to OpenDoc soon but really don't want to put up with it on my personal stuff.

Thanks
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice for Mac 10.2

taildragerdriver wrote:
It is interesting to see this concept of desupporting older versions. I feel you are completely on the wrong track. I feel a Open Source project should provide all older versions since there is little or no cost.

Before I answer, I do see your point and I myself frequently stay on older versions too as long as I can. I stayed on Photoshop 3 for years myself Smile

Unfortunately, the "little or no cost" for maintaining previous versions isn't completely accurate. Just because something is released doesn't mean that it's finished and set in stone. They still have bugs, sometimes fatal ones (like the old 1.x installers) that take actual developers time to fix and QA. New operating system releases may break old code, and fixes available on newer operating systems may not be able to be backported to older operating system versions.

The primary factors that cause discontinuation of software in the commercial space are no different in open source: high maintenance cost and limited resources.

ed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

tdd,

If no one offers you Neo/J 1.2, I have 1.1, non-system-hosing English version but you'll have to provide me with somewhere to upload it to, I don't do emails...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
If no one offers you Neo/J 1.2, I have 1.1, non-system-hosing English version but you'll have to provide me with somewhere to upload it to, I don't do emails...

That's actually incorrect. There was only one Neo/J 1.1 installer and if you have your System Preferences to a certain (but not entirely known) language, your disk will get horked. Apple's installer misencodes the UTF-8 paths in our installer settings files and, since the result is gibberish, the Mac OS X installer uses / by default.

Patrick
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice for Mac 10.2

taildragerdriver wrote:
I forgot to save the install for 1.2.1 on my Linux server. I would like to get one from somebody if they have it. Not really interested in upgrading either OS or other NewOffice versions unless I need to usually no benifit except to IT sellers. I also find the longer Oo works the more obnoxious M$ like featrues we are stuck with.

Then why don't you download NeoOffice 1.2.2?
http://www.planamesa.org/neojava/downloads/NeoOffice-1.2.2-PowerPC.dmg
1.2.2 is like 1.2.1 but the installer bug is fixed.
taildragerdriver
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Limiting concepts seem a problem

As a developer myself although not in the public arena, I have a very different situation.I am a project leader for a governement Environmental Analysis program on AIX unix. First we deliver a version which is supported in a specific environment. It can't be changed after delivery we must deliver a new version if we need to fix a bug. We also must maintain all the old versions because each analysis is done in a specific version and all the data and results are stored in an archived file after an analysis is complete. If the results are taken to court 5 to 10 years later we need to reserect the version and demonstrate in some cases exacly how the issues were addressed with the software with the original source data and the exact version of analysis tools.

So I see a very different concept in play here.

It seems to me there is a middle ground. First it seems unlikely to me that space of storing a earlier version is a real major issue. It seems to me that if it were made available on only one or a few download sites, which makes sense since the downloads would be minimal, space would be less impacted than the current version sites.

It also seems to me that there is a missing concept here in the reply that inicates a need to manitain and upgrade an older version. When an older version is made available it could be left in the original state with documentation of the environment in which it works correcly. So for example NeoOffice 1.2.1 for Mac OS 10.2.8 or earlier. There should be some documentation of issues of use with later OS version but let the user be responsible for appropriate use of the software.

The above concept seems like a good and reasonable way to serve every need and not limit the availability earlier version.

I personally have many older versions of Mac software I maintain by OS version on my Linux file server. The reason I do this is because of the quality of old Mac hardware. I use it in the shop for maintianing Vehicle and Tractor parts listings and maintanance records in pretty bad environments. I have serveral of these 20 plus year old Mac's that still work great. It is easy as a user to understand and it seems to me the developer serves the user community best by making all the versions avialable.

Thanks
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3