NeoOffice :: View topic - staggering and freezing while typing
staggering and freezing while typing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject:

I can answer that on behalf of my iBook G3 (now running 2.1 ER). At the time I was logging my observations I had already ensured that the all the latest Apple's Java updates, including the special one for 10.3 and 1.5, had all been installed.

I'm out of the office now but I'll check the iMac G5 affected tomorrow.

K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Patrick - sorry - long couple of days. had work and serious training with aggressive dogs and 2 hrs of sleep trying to linux running on a laptop....ouch!

not fun....

I too experienced much more fan on and running the last week or so since i upgraded the patches.....I wasn't sure why it was running hotter all of a sudden

Hmmm.

I will try ruuning the command with NEO open later tonight before the storms come or tomorrow before oor between storms - i shut down when they get close - lost too much 1 time even through ups and surges protectors.

i was not following the patches very closely but I checked and upgraded and then again the following week i suppose. if i do not have issues I do not stay up on all of the neo updates i am sorry to say.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject:

rays,

If you have Neo 2.1 Early Access and you can reproduce the high CPU usage, can you install the latest Neo 2.1 test patch in bug 2202?

I ask because this morning I confirmed that Java was doing housekeeping on closed windows. In fact, after putting in some test code, I found that on PowerPC machines, Java is doing a lot of drawing to closed windows. It appears that it stopped after I tweaked some Java code, but since I cannot reproduce the bug, I can't really be sure if I fixed it or not.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Ed ran into this problem today on an older machine and he was so kind to send me a huge sample using Apple's Shark tool.

Here's what his sample indicates: the slowdown is Writer trying to draw all those wavy red lines for misspelt words!

So, if you get the slowdown, what happens when you turn off auto spellchecking? Does the CPU usage quickly drop?

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject:

While I can't verify CPU usage (the background processes when I encountered a specific case were already chewing up 70-80% CPU time) I can definitely verify that disabling the real-time spellchecking sped up the response to typing drastically.

For the curious, the sample Patrick was referring to was a process-specific time profile generated from Shark. Shark is a rather nice profiler provided by Apple as part of the developer CHUD tools. I honestly don't know if you can install the profiler without the full XCode environment, but if you're a developer and haven't played with Shark you're really missing out on something good Smile

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
While I can't verify CPU usage (the background processes when I encountered a specific case were already chewing up 70-80% CPU time) I can definitely verify that disabling the real-time spellchecking sped up the response to typing drastically.

...and if the wavy line drawing is the cause of the problem, I will apply my couple-year-old fix for dotted grid lines to this problem.

For those who wonder why the wavy lines are a problem, it is because the OOo code sets individual pixels in a window. Cocoa and Java, however, don't have any functions for setting individual pixels so we must do a much more expensive operation of drawing a 1x1 pixel filled rectangle.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
So, if you get the slowdown, what happens when you turn off auto spellchecking? Does the CPU usage quickly drop?

Reviewing my weekend notes recorded in bug 2126, the problem definitely continued even with auto-spell check disabled on the iBook G3.

Maybe I'm dreaming this next bit but on the iMac G5 yesterday, it was possible that spell checking was involved. The icon appeared to be checked but the secretary and I noticed that mis-spellings were not underlined. We fired-up the standard spell-checking just to make sure dictionaries were functioning and the auto-spell-checking underlines immediately zoomed through the document, appearing in all the right (wrongly spelled) places. I didn't think anything more of it at the time but appears to be worth mentioning in this context now.

I'll see if I can induce the bug by upgrading another of our identical iMac G5s. If that works, I'll then follow through with the installation of 2.1 EA and the patch. If that doesn't work, I'll upgrade the one we know to be affected.

I may still need to downgrade this one from yesterday as it is not the most convenient one to be bug-hunting on. Where might I find patch 12? I haven't kept a copy locally.... Sad

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject:

The affected iMac G5 did not have the latest java update from Apple. It does now but the problem persists.

I'll now install the 2.1 ER version plus the patch as you propose and we'll see how things are thereafter.

Thanks,

Ray

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject:

Just installed the 2.1 EA version on the iMac G5. Await developments.

Immediately noticed the return of another problem bug we dealt with and squashed previously. The bug where it is near-impossible to 'dock' the palettes (e.g. tables or bullets and numbering) into the toolbars as they leap around in all directions as they approach the edges of the windows. I'll go see if I can find the bug number in bugzilla.

It's bug 1805. Do I re-open it or file a new bug?

amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:

Curious, I don't see this on an Intel Mac using 2.1 EA and 10.4.8
The palettes seem quite well behaved to me.

Andy.
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:

As I recall it, the previous bug hit only particular combinations of hardware and software then too.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
pluby wrote:

Reviewing my weekend notes recorded in bug 2126, the problem definitely continued even with auto-spell check disabled on the iBook G3.

Does anything change with the test patch in bug 2151? This test patch tries to more forcefully stop Java from forcefully flushing closed windows.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Does anything change with the test patch in bug 2151? This test patch tries to more forcefully stop Java from forcefully flushing closed windows.

FYI. If you already downloaded the test patch, please download the new test patch that I just posted in that bug. Note that there is a possibility that bug 2151 may reoccur with with this patch. It doesn't reoccur for me but it may fix the high CPU usage.

This morning I did some more debugging and found that Java has two problems:

1. Java is never invoking each window's finalize() method so my code that releases a window never gets executed. This basically causes NeoOffice to leak memory after every window (including tooltip windows) is closed.

2. Java happily keeps allowing painting to a panel that is attached to a closed window. This means that OOo can keep painting to closed windows and, more importantly, Java keeps thinking that a closed window needs housekeeping.

In the new test patch, I've confirmed that my changes no longer trigger the above two problems, my only worry is that bug 2151 will rear its head again.

Please let me know if this test patch helps and I will put the changes into the Neo 2.1 Early Access code.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

At this moment I no longer necessarily have an 2.0 Beta 3 Patch 15 with this issue to apply that patch to but I can try to create one! (That will make me popular!)

The iMac G5 which I updated to 2.1 EA following your earlier advice behaved itself for the remainder of the afternoon, never hitting the CPU overdrive button.

I didn't have time to install patch 15 on any of its clones but can do so tomorrow if that helps by that stage?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
I didn't have time to install patch 15 on any of its clones but can do so tomorrow if that helps by that stage?

That would be great. And if it helps, you should be able to move a Neo 2.1 EA installation out of the way, install Neo 2.0 AB3 and the test patch, do your testing, delete Neo 2.0 AB3, and move Neo 2.1 EA back when your done.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5