Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neooffice & Photoshop.
Neooffice & Photoshop.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nempnett
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your ideas. I read the report on that link about problems with Opera 9 & Photoshop. So I deleted Opera 9 and rebooted. Photoshop still crashed on startup.

I accept it may be a coincidence, but something happened to my computer at the time I installed Neooffice 2.1. I now have Photoshop tech support on the case. The guy talked me through all sorts of tests, all to no avail. However, setting up a new user account on my mac, Photoshop opened OK in the new account!!! Still crashes in the original account. He coluldn't tell me why and didn't know about the bug that Patrick pinpointed. I have sent them my crash report for their team to investigate. Will keep you posted.

The Gimp looks interesting. Is this similar to use as Photoshop? I have invested large in Photoshop as I am doing a course to learn how to use it. At least I can now log in with a different name to do my homework!
Wink

Regards,
Nempnett
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:

Nempnett wrote:
....However, setting up a new user account on my mac, Photoshop opened OK in the new account!!! Still crashes in the original account. He coluldn't tell me why and didn't know about the bug that Patrick pinpointed. I have sent them my crash report for their team to investigate. Will keep you posted.

The link that I posted mentioned the cause of this: corrupted Photoshop user preferences. The fact that it works for user B but not for user A on the same machine indicates that user A's Photoshop preference files are corrupted.

Patrick
Nempnett
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

Sorted it Very Happy Patrick was spot on , so thanks for that. Went to UserName/Library/Preferences/Opera preferences and changed the folder name, rebooted and Photoshop worked!!! A new Opera Preferences folder was automatically created by Photoshop.

It appears the problem occured when I downloaded Neooffice. Although I was using Safari, Opera 9 automatically opened for the download. Two files were created in the Opera Preferences folder at that time 28 May 14:36 - 'Browser.JS' and 'Site Preferences Downloaded'. I deleted Opera 9 application yesterday, but it seems there are still remaining files associated with it.

Strangely, when I reactivated the 'dodgy' folder and renamed the new one, Photoshop did not crash, so I cannot repeat the fault. I havn't tried to delete any Opera files.

Also in the Preferences folder is a Neooffice-1.x folder and a Neooffice -2.1 folder. Should I delete the earlier one? ( I had Neooffice 1.2 before).

Seems like this was a Photoshop/Opera conflict and I just happened to be downloading Neooffice. Apologies for any potential aspersions cast on Neooffice and thanks for all your help in finding the problem. Embarassed

Regards,
Nempnett
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Nempnett wrote:
It appears the problem occured when I downloaded Neooffice. Although I was using Safari, Opera 9 automatically opened for the download.

Sounds like Opera set itself as your default browser when it was installed (bad Opera)....

You can safely delete your NeoOffice-1.x preferences folder; everything in them should have been migrated into the NeoOffice-2.x or NeoOffice-2.1 preferences folder.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I hate to contradict Smokey, but I would suggest you make sure that any custom templates, autotexts, etc. really did transfer over before you delete the 1.2 Preferences folder. Due to bugs in OpenOffice.org's code, those things don't always get transfered over.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I hate to contradict Smokey, but I would suggest you make sure that any custom templates, autotexts, etc. really did transfer over before you delete the 1.2 Preferences folder. Due to bugs in OpenOffice.org's code, those things don't always get transfered over.

Oh, true; I had assumed Nempnett had been running 2.1 successfully for some time Embarassed

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

Ok, as a compromise I have renamed the old Neooffice preference folder as ~Neooffice-1.x I guess that should store it without any funny business and I can always reactivate it later if needed.

I don't think I ever set any preferences on Neooffice 1.2, nor did I create any new documents. I had just been using it to read files transferred from an old PC which I am phasing out. The plan is to eventually do all my work on Neooffice 2.1

Nempnett
[/u]
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2