Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Mac Osx 10.2.8/neoOffice
Mac Osx 10.2.8/neoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Limiting concepts seem a problem

taildragerdriver wrote:
NeoOffice 1.2.1 for Mac OS 10.2.8 or earlier.

NeoOffice 1.2.1 does not run on 10.2.x, the last version that could run on 10.2.x was 1.1.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Limiting concepts seem a problem

taildragerdriver wrote:
It also seems to me that there is a missing concept here in the reply that inicates a need to manitain and upgrade an older version. When an older version is made available it could be left in the original state with documentation of the environment in which it works correcly. So for example NeoOffice 1.2.1 for Mac OS 10.2.8 or earlier. There should be some documentation of issues of use with later OS version but let the user be responsible for appropriate use of the software.

The above concept seems like a good and reasonable way to serve every need and not limit the availability earlier version.

If that is how you feel, you are welcome to compile and distribute the code yourself. The code is there in the public anonymous CVS repository. The latest code that ever got built into a NeoOffice/J 1.1 release is in the NeoOfficeJ-1_1_branch tag.

However, Ed was a bit more diplomatic I'll be a little more blunt. I have no intention of ever building, supporting, or distributing NeoOffice/J 1.1 again. The installer had serious bugs and the 10.2.8 OS and gcc 2.95 compiler made the underlying OpenOffice.org code extremely brittle. Since I have no intention of fixing that release, redistributing it for me is all risk and no reward.

If you think 10.2.8 is the greatest version of Mac OS X, that is your choice. I know from experience that it was a time sink on this project and I'm not going to support it. Apple doesn't support it and neither do I.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice for Mac 10.2

It seems to me that the core of the current issue lies here:

taildragerdriver wrote:
I forgot to save the install for 1.2.1 on my Linux server.

Indeed, as you say:

taildragerdriver wrote:
...let the user be responsible for appropriate use of the software.

In my view, that might also extend to including appropriate preservation of one's original installer files? I don't think you'll find many commercial software providers prepared to replace original installation software for free. That's because there are always costs involved.

Perhaps we can just leave it at that now and move on?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Guest wrote:
If no one offers you Neo/J 1.2, I have 1.1, non-system-hosing English version but you'll have to provide me with somewhere to upload it to, I don't do emails...

That's actually incorrect. There was only one Neo/J 1.1 installer and if you have your System Preferences to a certain (but not entirely known) language, your disk will get horked. Apple's installer misencodes the UTF-8 paths in our installer settings files and, since the result is gibberish, the Mac OS X installer uses / by default.

Patrick

OK Pat. Just sayin' 1.1 has been working for me. Thanks for the warning though if you are saying at some point it will bring my system down. I installed it when running 10.2.3 and have since upgraded to 10.2.5 and then on to 10.2.8, both Combo updates. Neo/J 1.1 still running fine as far as I can tell.

Are you also saying I can't give him 1.1?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

One thing you'll really want to be wary of is if you're using 1.x on any non-English system. Due to some Installer.app problems, it could actually erase the entire hard drive. This was why we took it down. If you get it, be sure to back up your important stuff first.

Also, Apple's no longer releasing security updates for 10.2, so I'd also recommend either making sure you're using a firewall and don't browse to any malicious websites.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Are you also saying I can't give him 1.1?

Nope. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just trying to make you aware of the issue the caused me to pull Neo/J 1.1 in the first place as I assume you don't want to be the person that gets blamed if they have Hebrew, Arabic, or some other non-Western language as their preferred language and the Mac OS X installer deletes their entire hard drive. Wink

Once installed, Neo/J 1.1 has no danger of this. The problem was only found when running the installer with certain non-Western languages.

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

When I first started trying out NeoOffice I didn't want to install in the /Applications. I was able to work around it by editing all of the hardcoded paths in the installation files to a directory I liked (e.g. /Users/username/MyApps)

If I recall, after doing this I was no longer prompted for the Administrators password even though I was using a restricted "standard user" account. Or maybe it did, I clicked cancel and the install continued anyway. The point is it will probably save the MacOSX install if the bug is encountered.

If you find a copy of 1.1, try it out. Create a standard account (no access to the rest of the system or other users), edit and install. There might be some "Prompt for Password" setting that you need to change from "yes" to "no" as well. I never tried, but afterwards you may be able to drag and drop the NeoOffice.app to another location.

Somewhere along the line I couldn't do this any more (perhaps from 1.1 -> 1.2) and had to place faith in the installer. It's been a very long time since I did this so I apologize for the lack of details.

I'd also like to note that since you're running 10.2.8, your mac is probably quite old. NeoOffice may be very slow on such a machine. I know it's not the snappiest on mine. You might want to investigate other alternatives. Perhaps the X-server version of OpenOffice, or a different word processor like AbiWord.

Wally
long time lurker
10.3.9, iBookG4 800Mhz, NeoOffice2 Alpha4
rhb
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

I have been running 1.1 for a long time on my faithful eMac 700 with 10.2.8. It works well except fot the long time (1 minute +) it takes to load the first time you use it in a session. Still happy with it and it does all I want.

However, with talk of Aqua 2 around, I might think of upgading fom 10.2 at some time - not just for NeoOffice but an increasing number of programs offerring yummies not available us on 10.2!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3