NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
pluby wrote:
... the fact is that you two hold the keys to any data that may allow fixing of this before hundreds of thousands of people download Neo 2.1 at the end of this month. Because of this, time is extremely short and, on my end, the clock is ticking very fast.

I've attached a sample taken from my home iBook G3 in bug 2126 which I hope may be of some use. This iBook currently does not yet have the patch from bug 2202 added so might give a 'baseline' system from which to work.

Other samples will follow tomorrow from the iMac G5.

Hope this helps.

I saw your sample and, surprise, surprise, its a reoccurrance of the nasty Java "endless window flushing of closed windows" bug. More details are posted in that bug.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for posting the sample.

Looking at it is just another reminder of how scary Apple's Java VM can be. There's still a whole bunch of QuickDraw and other Carbon embedded in Cocoa stuff going on there. No wonder there are all these kinds of issues (and no plans for a 64 bit java).

Figuring out when to flush is durned tricky, but it's still no excuse.

Grumble.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject:

So rays has confirmed in bug 2126 that we are seeing progress in fixing this bug.

Since we appear close to a real fix, I ask that if you have Neo 2.1 Early Access that you test out the latest test patch in that bug to make sure that there is no crashing on exit as I am worried that my fix will cause a reoccurrence of bug 2151.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I trust test patch 9 is the most current one? I will install it immediately, but I do not know when I will use Neo.

Best wishes,
Oscar

SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I just tested patch 9 on my iMac, with 10.4.8. I didn't see any crashing behavior after doing some typing and then quitting the program. I did it several times.
Any thing else I need to do?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject:

SteveRead wrote:
I just tested patch 9 on my iMac, with 10.4.8. I didn't see any crashing behavior after doing some typing and then quitting the program. I did it several times.
Any thing else I need to do?

I don't think so, but let us know if you do see any crashes with this test patch.

If this test patch looks stable after another day, I'll release the fix as Neo 2.1 EA Patch 1.

For those that are curious, the current fix does the following to fix bug 2151 and prevent Java from doing endless flushes on closed windows:

1. I detach any Java components (i.e. the Java panel) before closing any Java windows. Although Java should never crash, leaving these attached is what causes bug 2151 with the latest Apple Java update.

2. I hacked into the Cocoa code that Java uses to implement Java windows and panels and put in code to prevent any key entry events from being processed if the window is closed. For some reason, processing native key entry events after the window has been closed seems to cause the high CPU usage bug to appear with the latest Apple Java update.

Patrick
wallyfab
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

If this test patch looks stable after another day, I'll release the fix as Neo 2.1 EA Patch 1.
Patrick

Neo 2.1 EA patch-0-test-9 works fine here on imac G5 isight 10.4.8 ; I used writer, saving in differents formats, opened and worked on a 2,5MB xls file , loaded a small addresses database , created forms, and used the data source to produce labels in writer: stable Smile

Thanks.

fab
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I did have one crash on quit today, and I am reasonably certain I was still on test patch 9 (I have since added test patch 11). I'm afraid that I was so distracted by the problems I was having getting some labels formatted and printing correctly that I forgot I was supposed to be watching for just such a crash, and I didn't bother to request a crash report. I chalked it up to a fluke, related to the fact that I had been asking my iBook to do several different tasks simulaneously.

I have since quit Neo several times without incident.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I did have one crash on quit today, and I am reasonably certain I was still on test patch 9 (I have since added test patch 11). I'm afraid that I was so distracted by the problems I was having getting some labels formatted and printing correctly that I forgot I was supposed to be watching for just such a crash, and I didn't bother to request a crash report. I chalked it up to a fluke, related to the fact that I had been asking my iBook to do several different tasks simulaneously.

I have since quit Neo several times without incident.

rays found the same in test patch 9 and I specifically posted test patch 11 with a fix.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5