NeoOffice :: View topic - "Error writing file"
"Error writing file"

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinger
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: "Error writing file"

Hey y'all,

I'm new to the NeoOffice family. Quick question...I've been working on a document that's been open on my desktop for the past couple of days. I just tried saving my changes and got an error message that reads "Write error. Error writing file."

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can save the file?

Thanks!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Does using File :: Save As work? While this isn't a permanent solution, I am hoping it will allow you to save your current edits. If that works, quit NeoOffice and relaunch it and you should be able to save normally again.

Patrick
Dinger
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Nope...I tried doing "Save As" and renaming it but I came up with the same error message.
Max
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Meta-data?

I have recently had exactly this same problem, in both writer and spreadsheet modes. I discovered a work-around is to save the document as a non-ODF format (e.g. Microsoft Word or Excel, as appropriate). This works OK: you can then re-open the document & save as the native ODF format without trouble. This happened to me in the last EA release.

My current hypothesis is that the ODF formats include an 'editing time' field or similar, somewhere in the meta-data, and this field has a maximum allowable upper limit. Erroneously, the editing time clock runs even while the machine is asleep, hence if you leave a document open for a week or more, as I did, you get this problem.

NeoOffice - so easy to use you can edit documents in your sleep!

Cheers,

Max
Dinger
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:

Yeah...you're probably right. I ended up copying the text into an email and sending it to myself. Once I shut down and relaunched NeoOffice, I was able to paste it into a new document and save it just fine.

Thanks for all the help! You guys are the greatest!
gtcaz
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
My current hypothesis is that the ODF formats include an 'editing time' field or similar, somewhere in the meta-data, and this field has a maximum allowable upper limit. Erroneously, the editing time clock runs even while the machine is asleep, hence if you leave a document open for a week or more, as I did, you get this problem.

Excellent hypothesis! I think you may be right. I had this problem (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=40332) and indeed it was trying to save after my wife left the documents open for a couple of days.

Last edited by gtcaz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Max
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Excellent hypothesis! I think you may be right. I had this problem (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=40332) and indeed it was trying to save after my wife left the documents open for a couple of days.

It was a nice hypothesis! However, I checked the ODF spec and the editing time data format does not have any such restriction. If the error is occurring, it is in the accumulation of editing time, not writing it to file.

Max
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject:

Max wrote:
Quote:

It was a nice hypothesis! However, I checked the ODF spec and the editing time data format does not have any such restriction. If the error is occurring, it is in the accumulation of editing time, not writing it to file.

Max

Nothing to do with the ODF specification. The inability to save a document after it's been open for several days is just an old OpenOffice.org bug which hasn't been entirely fixed yet.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject:

It might well be a holdover from early OOo days. Back when nobody kept their desktops running for several days on end, mostly because they would crash before then..

Best wishes,
Oscar

Britt
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject:

I have the same problem - and used the suggested workaround (write to .doc format and then reopen the document - and then saved successfully to ODT).

My document had not been open long time (few hours maximum).
bruble
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: file write error

I have a similar problem and it appears to have been introduced for me by patch 7 of 2.2.5. I have not had any problems previously. My machine was left on for a while but after receiving the error related to being unable to find a file that I had said needed to be created i.e. 'save as' not save I restarted the machine and tried again with the same document.

The document is in word XP format and is read but will not save no matter what format one tries. There is a simple message stating that the file you are trying to save cannot be found. This should be obvious as you are trying to create the file. Neo office used to work, can I regress to a previous version?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: file write error

bruble wrote:
The document is in word XP format and is read but will not save no matter what format one tries. There is a simple message stating that the file you are trying to save cannot be found. This should be obvious as you are trying to create the file. Neo office used to work, can I regress to a previous version?

Yes. Just reinstall NeoOffice 2.2.5 and you will have no patches. However, since I cannot reproduce this before I would recommend that we do a little more investigation before assuming that there is a bug and not a permissions issue.

Can you create and save a file in the same folder using the /Applications/TextEdit application? If so, can you save the file to your Desktop in NeoOffice?

Patrick
Heywood
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: file write error

I can confirm that this behavior still exists as late as NeoOffice 3.0p7, at least running on Leopard 10.5.7. I had several documents open and minimized to the tray for 2-3 days, then tried to edit one and save it—and got the exact "Error writing file" problem described above.

I can also confirm that saving as Word 97/2000/XP, quitting, restarting NeoOffice, and re-loading works—but this will be a problem whenever a document's content or structure trips any of the latent quirks/bugs/incompatibilites between MS formats and ODF during the export/import cycle. (I'm happy to say that I haven't seen any in Writer for quite a while, but there are still issues in other components—for example, Impress has trouble rendering connectors between shapes when the document is originally drawn in PPT.)

I've just downloaded and installed 3.0.1, and will try this to see if it still happens. But I'm not sure how exactly to document it if it does—there's no crash log in the Console, so can anyone suggest the best place to look for debugging information when that error gets thrown? /var/log/(something)?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: file write error

Heywood wrote:
I can confirm that this behavior still exists as late as NeoOffice 3.0p7, at least running on Leopard 10.5.7. I had several documents open and minimized to the tray for 2-3 days, then tried to edit one and save it—and got the exact "Error writing file" problem described above.

What you just described is a known bug of all versions of NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code since OpenOffice.org 2.0. OpenOffice.org has not yet fixed this bug so it will definitely still be in NeoOffice 3.0.1. This OpenOffice.org is described in more detail in OpenOffice.org's Issue 69993.

Basically, the issue is caused by Mac OS X deleting some temporary files that the OpenOffice.org creates when you opened a document and OpenOffice.org cannot save a document after Mac OS X deletes its matching temporary file.

Heywood wrote:
I can also confirm that saving as Word 97/2000/XP, quitting, restarting NeoOffice, and re-loading works—but this will be a problem whenever a document's content or structure trips any of the latent quirks/bugs/incompatibilites between MS formats and ODF during the export/import cycle. (I'm happy to say that I haven't seen any in Writer for quite a while, but there are still issues in other components—for example, Impress has trouble rendering connectors between shapes when the document is originally drawn in PPT.)

There is another workaround that another use found:

1. Select the File :: New menu to create a new Impress document.

2. In your existing document, click on the Slide Sorter tab to show all slides, select all of the slides your first document by pressing the Command-A keys, and then press the Command-C keys to copy the selected slides

3. In the new Impress document, click on the Slide Sorter tab and press the Command-V keys to paste the slides.

4. Save the new Impress document to a file with a different name than the existing document.

5. Does that work? If so, close the new Impress document and reopen it to make sure that it saved OK.

6. If the new document reopens OK, close both the old and new documents and discard any changes in the old document.

Does this workaround work better than saving as PowerPoint format.

Patrick
Heywood
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the additional info, Patrick! I didn't think to search the OOo database for this, though in retrospect I should have.

Did a quick test with Impress and this method seems to work just fine, though I didn't leave the presentation open long enough to trigger the failed save problem. On the plus side, I see no reason why it wouldn't work equally well for Writer, and in all cases it should nicely avoid any export/import issues.

Cheers!

/HJ
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3