"Error writing file"

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Heywood wrote:
Did a quick test with Impress and this method seems to work just fine, though I didn't leave the presentation open long enough to trigger the failed save problem. On the plus side, I see no reason why it wouldn't work equally well for Writer, and in all cases it should nicely avoid any export/import issues.

IIRC, Mac OS X periodically deletes and temporary files that are 3 days old or older. So, in theory, you should be able to avoid this OpenOffice.org bug by closing and reopening any documents that you have had open for more than a day.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject:

This is another manifestation of the old "I've kept my Excel spreadsheet open for a week and can't save it" bug, right?

Should we have some sort of article on the wiki about it, with steps for copying all of the content to a new document (one set of steps per module)?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
This is another manifestation of the old "I've kept my Excel spreadsheet open for a week and can't save it" bug, right?

Yes.

sardisson wrote:
Should we have some sort of article on the wiki about it, with steps for copying all of the content to a new document (one set of steps per module)?

Adding the workaround for this bug seems like a good idea. Can you decide where you think it should go and rough it out? Then, either Fran or I can add to it when we have time.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Adding the workaround for this bug seems like a good idea. Can you decide where you think it should go and rough it out? Then, either Fran or I can add to it when we have time.

Smile

I think what I'd like to do is this:

1) Create a new article titled something like "NeoOffice won't save documents after several days" (wiki elves, any better ideas?) with the content.

2) Link this document from the "Miscellaneous Tips" section of http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Tips_and_Hints

3) Add a new heading somewhere in the "Common Problems" section of http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Troubleshooting_Tips and have the new page created in step 1 be the link underneath (just link directly to the page created in step 1 rather than making an entry in the "Solutions and Troubleshooting Steps" section that would then link to the page created in step 1)

How does that sound to everyone? If that seems OK, I'll rough it out tomorrow (Mon).

And thanks to you and Fran for writing the rest of it; I was not looking forward to going back and finding all the steps from old posts Wink

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject:

The only suggestion I would add is that the exact text of the error popup should be in the article somewhere -- for me, at least, that error was so puzzling that the first thing I did was search the wiki and forums for that phrase.

Other than that, this sounds perfect. Cheers!

/HJ
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject:

It might be worth including a link from the NeoOffice Error Messages page.
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject:

Before anyone spends too much time creating a NeoWiki article, I think that I have found a way to periodically update the "last access time" on any temporary files that NeoOffice has open so that Mac OS X's periodic deletion job will not delete the files.

I expect to be able to post a test patch later today. Would anyone be willing to test patch if I post it? Testing mean you would need to keep at least one existing document open for the next 4 days and, after that time, edit and try to save the document.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject:

I'm willing to give the process a try - but can't guarantee to be able to
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: testing

I can volunteer an open spreadsheet saved as an .xls would that be helpful?
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: testing

gromOSX wrote:
I can volunteer an open spreadsheet saved as an .xls would that be helpful?

This bug only affects .od* files so if you want to help test, save a copy of your .xls file as an .ods file and keep the .ods file open for 4 days.

Patrick
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Sure thing.
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this OpenOffice.org bug in the following test patch. In this test patch, every 3 hours NeoOffice will set the "last access time" to the current time for any files that NeoOffice has open. Hopefully, this should stop Mac OS X's automatic temporary file deletion process to no longer delete any of NeoOffice's temporary files.

Can anyone install the test patch and tell us if the fix works for you? To test the fix, you will need to create and save and .odt, .ods, or .odp file and leave that file open for at least 4 days. Then, after 4 days (this Friday if you start testing today), change some of the content in the file and try to save it. If it saves OK, then the fix works. Note that you can open, edit, save, and close other files. You just need to keep on file open for 4 days to test the fix:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-0-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-0-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-0-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Before anyone spends too much time creating a NeoWiki article, I think that I have found a way to periodically update the "last access time" on any temporary files that NeoOffice has open so that Mac OS X's periodic deletion job will not delete the files.

Haha! There's that patented Patrick greatness at work again Smile

Nice!

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Haha! There's that patented Patrick greatness at work again Smile

A good portion of the credit should go to the OpenOffice.org engineers that identified the root cause of the OpenOffice.org Issue 69993. Implementing a fix for that bug was significantly easier as a result of their troubleshooting work.

Patrick
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject:

@smokey

he is great....and humble!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3