Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Disable screen saver during presentation?
Disable screen saver during presentation?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Set them all to "never". Note also that at least on my old tibook, when running on battery the backlight will dim even though the screensaver does not come on nor the machine goes to sleep. I wonder if maybe that is what you're seeing.

If you are seeing the backlight dimming that Ed described, then the solution is to plug your laptop into a power outlet. Apple has implemented aggressive battery power conservation measures and the display uses a lot of battery power so I don't think that the UpdateSystemActivity() function that Gust found will stop the backlight from dimming. AFAIK, the only thing that stops the backlight dimming is plugging your laptop into a power outlet.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have implemented the code to prevent sleeping that Gust found and there is a NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access test patch in the following forum topic:

https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=56713#56713

If you are a NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access member, can you install the test patch and tell us if it prevents sleeping? Note that it probably will not stop the backlight from dimming. It will only prevent a full sleep.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you are a NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access member, can you install the test patch and tell us if it prevents sleeping? Note that it probably will not stop the backlight from dimming. It will only prevent a full sleep.
I can confirm that the patch prevents sleeping, screensaving and even dimming. Great. Nevertheless, there seems to be a probably unrelated issue with dual screen setup, I guess the Presenter Console code is flipping for whatever reason and fails to render the presentation properly.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
I can confirm that the patch prevents sleeping, screensaving and even dimming. Great. Nevertheless, there seems to be a probably unrelated issue with dual screen setup, I guess the Presenter Console code is flipping for whatever reason and fails to render the presentation properly.

You are correct: the Sun Presenter Console code has no shared code with the sleep prevention. The Sun Presenter Console is an OpenOffice.org extension written by Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers that we bundle with NeoOffice as a convenience whereas the the sleep prevention is in NeoOffice's very low level native event dispatching code.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
You are correct: the Sun Presenter Console code has no shared code with the sleep prevention. The Sun Presenter Console is an OpenOffice.org extension written by Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers that we bundle with NeoOffice as a convenience whereas the the sleep prevention is in NeoOffice's very low level native event dispatching code.
Do you consider to investigate the issue with the console code as well? Considered that it has no relationship with the subject of this thread, maybe I should open a new thread in the appropriate forum (EA).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
Do you consider to investigate the issue with the console code as well? Considered that it has no relationship with the subject of this thread, maybe I should open a new thread in the appropriate forum (EA).

No I did not as we have not changed the scope of the NeoOffice project.

Unfortunately, our very limited donations still only provides enough funding for one fulltime developer which limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a stable version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X. Because of these limits, fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs is outside that scope.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
No I did not as we have not changed the scope of the NeoOffice project.

I forgot to add that I did check to see if we have made any changes to Sun Microsystems' presentation console code in this release and I confirmed that we are using the same code that Sun included has in their OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code repository.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:

I have not seen an issue with a dual screen presentation. My presentation is pretty simple, no fancy transitions and I do have the latest test patch.

Can you give us a set of steps so we can reproduce the problem? Please attach a sample presentation showing the issue using the instructions in this forum post.

Thanks,

--fran
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:

narf wrote:
Can you give us a set of steps so we can reproduce the problem? Please attach a sample presentation showing the issue using the instructions in this forum post.
Ok, you are right that it does work correctly for simple (dummy) presentation, thanks for pointing this out. But I was just opening a presentation that I ran under 3.0 on 10.5 only last week. The file didn't change, but now I'm running 3.0.1 EA on 10.6 and rendering is utterly unreliable. I'll see if I can isolate the issue.
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I've played around a little bit with the console. It is my intuition that something is going wrong with it rendering graphics (I mean bitmap like things). I've prepared a odp file which carries only 2 graphics. Do the following steps under a dual monitor extended desktop setup:
  1. Close NeoOffice
  2. Open NeoOffice by double clicking console.odp in the Finder; remark the slowish rendering of the graphics
  3. Start the presentation; the console comes up painfully slowish and fails to render things correctly
  4. Hit esc to quit the presentation; note that the background picture doesn't get rendered anymore in the file window
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I could not replicate the problems you reported with the sample file.

The graphics were rendered correctly in the presentation and the background graphic was rendered after I escaped out of the presentation.

What version of Mac OS X are you using? Edit to add, I see from an earlier post you are using Mac OS X 10.6.

--fran

Last edited by narf on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject:

narf wrote:
The graphics were rendered correctly in the presentation and the background graphic was rendered after I escaped out of the presentation.

I should also add that none of the bitmap graphics rendering code has changed since NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7. The only changes that were made were:

1. Native file locking
2. Glyph size calculation on Snow Leopard
3. The sleep preventation function call every 15 seconds

All of the rest of the NeoOffice code is the exact same code as NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7 so unless you are running Snow Leopard, you really should be looking at whether or not you have other applications or system hacks that are slowing down or interfering with NeoOffice.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
All of the rest of the NeoOffice code is the exact same code as NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7 so unless you are running Snow Leopard, you really should be looking at whether or not you have other applications or system hacks that are slowing down or interfering with NeoOffice.
I'm effectively running Snow Leopard. Probably some issue there.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
I'm effectively running Snow Leopard. Probably some issue there.

We have Snow Leopard 10.6.1, but we are going to have to figure out how to get two monitors hooked to it as our Mac Mini Intel machine only has one monitor feed.

In the meantime, can you do the following?:

1. Can you verify that you are running 10.6.1 by selecting the Apple :: Software Update menu? If there are any system updates, does installing the updates and rebooting change anything?

2. Can you open the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, paste the following commands in the Terminal application window, press the Return key, and paste the output into this forum topic?:

ls -l ~/Library/InputManagers
ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support
ls -l /Library/InputManagers
ls -l /Library/Application\ Support

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
We have Snow Leopard 10.6.1, but we are going to have to figure out how to get two monitors hooked to it as our Mac Mini Intel machine only has one monitor feed.
I've a fully updated 32-bit Intel MacBook running 10.6.1, afaik that should be pretty similar to the Mini. As for the dual monitor setup, I have no suggestions. Running the requested commands returns:
  • ls -l ~/Library/InputManagers
    Code:
    No such file or directory
  • ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support
    Code:
    total 0
    drwx------   8 gust  staff  272 Sep 14 22:00 AddressBook
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 Jan 11  2008 Console
    drwx------  12 gust  staff  408 Sep 13 19:28 CrashReporter
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 Feb 21  2008 DVD Player
    drwx------   4 gust  staff  136 Sep 13  2008 Dashcode
    drwxr-xr-x   7 gust  staff  238 Jun 17  2008 Firefox
    drwxr-xr-x   4 gust  staff  136 Sep 15 19:12 Front Row
    drwx------  18 gust  staff  612 Aug 13 16:45 Gimp
    drwxr-xr-x   7 gust  staff  238 Jan  9  2009 Google Earth
    drwxr-xr-x   4 gust  staff  136 Feb  8  2008 Growl
    drwxr-xr-x   6 gust  staff  204 Sep 13 17:49 HandBrake
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 May 12 00:16 Livestation
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 Sep 10  2008 MobileSync
    drwxr-xr-x@  3 gust  staff  102 Jun 17  2008 Mozilla
    drwxr-xr-x   4 gust  staff  136 Jun 27 17:01 MySQL
    drwxr-xr-x   2 gust  staff   68 Jan 26  2008 Photo Booth
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 Sep 14 09:00 Preview
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 Sep 15 16:10 Smultron
    drwxr-xr-x   5 gust  staff  170 Dec 10  2008 Songbird2
    drwx------   3 gust  staff  102 May 21 00:51 SyncServices
    drwxr-xr-x   6 gust  staff  204 Sep  7 00:48 TomTom HOME
    drwxr-xr-x   7 gust  staff  238 Sep 28  2008 Transmission
    drwxr-xr-x   2 gust  staff   68 Nov 22  2007 Xcode
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 Mar 16  2008 blueMarine
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 Sep 14 17:15 iSync
    drwxr-xr-x   3 gust  staff  102 Dec 30  2008 iSync Plug-in Maker
  • ls -l /Library/InputManagers
    Code:
    No such file or directory
  • ls -l /Library/Application\ Support
    Code:
    total 0
    drwxrwxr-x  10 root  admin  340 Sep 12 19:10 Apple
    drwxrwxr-x  13 root  admin  442 Sep 15 07:27 CrashReporter
    drwxrwxrwx   6 root  admin  204 Sep 15 22:10 EyeTV
    drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin  102 Jul  8 09:39 HWPrefs
    drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin  102 Mar  6  2009 Macromedia
    drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin  102 Sep 12 19:17 Mozilla
    drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin  102 May 23 02:37 ProApps
    drwxrwxr-x   6 root  admin  204 Sep 12 19:31 Shark
    drwxr-xr-x   8 root  admin  272 Sep 12 19:17 cocoAspell
    drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin  102 Sep 12 19:17 hp
    drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin  102 Jul 24 04:21 iLifeMediaBrowser
There's no InputManagers in Library. Were you looking for Input\ Methods?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4