NeoOffice :: View topic - Empty Menu Bar
Empty Menu Bar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudi
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Empty Menu Bar

Thanks it's OK.

Dragging English to be on the top position in Language & Text system preference and restarting the Mac, fixed the problem and the menu bar is full with menus Smile

I had to restart the mac in order to see the change, I tried it few times to prove that this is the problem, now I have full control.

Thank you all for solving the Java/System problem.

For your information, the NeoOffice is one of the main software I am using and enjoying.

Best Regards
Dudi
Smile Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Menu Bar

Dudi,

FYI. I deleted your post with the Terminal output to make this forum topic easier to read. Your output was truncated because you did not copy the entire command so it would not be useful.

Dudi wrote:
Dragging English to be on the top position in Language & Text system preference and restarting the Mac, fixed the problem and the menu bar is full with menus Smile

I had to restart the mac in order to see the change, I tried it few times to prove that this is the problem, now I have full control.

This is good news. So if you move your original language to the top position of the language list in the System Preferences application and reboot, does the problem still occur? If yes, can you tell me which language the problem occurs with so that I can try to reproduce it on my machine?

Patrick
Dudi
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject:

Moving original language (which is Hebrew) to the top position of the language list in the System Preferences application and reboot the problem occur again.

As I can see in this stage that running my mac with English on the top don't produce any problem and I can use hebrew with no limitation. But this is based on very basic tests and we will have to see if I will not have problems in other application. (I work 50% of the time in English and 50% in Hebrew).

I think that the best solution is that Java will be based on Unicode to enable working with all the languages and keep the code to be in english. As in this way the Ascii has the same character value and will not converted.

Thanks for your fruitful help
Dudi
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce this as well, and it appears to be a bug with Apple's Java.

While we do not know yet if we can implement a way to avoid this Apple Java bug, we feel that many other users will encounter the same bug so we will attempt to find a way for NeoOffice not to trigger this bug. I have opened bug 3563 for this issue.

If we can find a solution we will report it in this forum topic.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I found a way to trap when Apple's Java bug occurs and load Java's English files. The bug is that starting in Snow Leopard's Java 1.6, Apple's Java code does not handle the case when Java does not have localized files for the user's preferred language. Fortunately, after spending half a day of debugging this (this is actually a relatively short period time for fixing Apple Java bugs), I was able to fix this bug.

Interestingly, after fixing this bug I found a cool little feature that is new in Snow Leopard: right-to-left menus. For applications like NeoOffice that tell Mac OS X that they can potentially support Hebrew, Arabic, or any other right-to-left (RTL) languages, Snow Leopard will display all menus with the menu item text aligned on the right side of the menu and the keyboard shortcuts aligned on the left side of the menu.

Of course, applications like TextEdit, etc. that do not claim to have any support for RTL languages won't have RTL menus, but NeoOffice will.

I have another small bug to fix tonight before I post a test patch so hopefully tomorrow morning U.S. Pacific time I will post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject:

I have included the fix in the following test patch. Can you set your preferred language to Hebrew, reboot, install the following test patch, and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Interestingly, after fixing this bug I found a cool little feature that is new in Snow Leopard: right-to-left menus. For applications like NeoOffice that tell Mac OS X that they can potentially support Hebrew, Arabic, or any other right-to-left (RTL) languages, Snow Leopard will display all menus with the menu item text aligned on the right side of the menu and the keyboard shortcuts aligned on the left side of the menu.

About #@$@#$ time! Very Happy I look forward to seeing that when I move to 10.6.

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Empty Menu Bar

Patrick

The problem is solved!

After installing your patch and placing Hebrew at the top of Preferences Language & Text, the Menu in NeoOffice 3.0.1 is OK

I tested only the NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel

For the Intel 2.2.6 I have to download NeoOffice 2.2.6 and and the same for the other 2 tests for PPC (I have also Blue G4). Please let me know if you need me to do those tests for you.

Dudi
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Menu Bar

Dudi wrote:
The problem is solved!

Thank you for letting us know that the problem is solved with the test patch.

There is no need to test on the other platforms. The code change is the same in each of the test patches.

--fran
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix is included in NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Patch 2. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

Also, The fix is included in NeoOffice 2.2.6 Early Access Patch 2. You can download that patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

If you are not a member of the NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Program, the fix will be available in the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release currently scheduled for 27 October 2009.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2