Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Disable screen saver during presentation?
Disable screen saver during presentation?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
There's no InputManagers in Library. Were you looking for Input\ Methods?

I was looking for system hacks. System hacks usually make use of Mac OS X's input method loading to load themselves into all running applications.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I was not able to reproduce the graphics rendering problems you describe on a MacBook Pro running 10.6.1 with a second monitor connected to it. So I do not think this is a problem in the NeoOffice code.

If NeoOffice code is not the problem, then the likely cause of the problem is that Apple's code is having troubles with the graphics card for one of your displays. You can test this by changing the primary monitor from one display to the other.

Can you try the following steps to change the primary monitor?:

1. Open the /Applications/System Preferences application

2. Select the Displays icon, then select the Arrangement tab and drag the menu bar from one display to the other

After doing these steps, repeat the steps to launch and run your NeoOffice presentation. Does the rendering problem stay with the same monitor or does move to the new primary monitor?

--fran
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:
Can you try the following steps to change the primary monitor?
I will try to test the issue for a number of different monitor setups later this week and post my findings here.
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:
Can you try the following steps to change the primary monitor?:
  1. Open the /Applications/System Preferences application
  2. Select the Displays icon, then select the Arrangement tab and drag the menu bar from one display to the other
After doing these steps, repeat the steps to launch and run your NeoOffice presentation. Does the rendering problem stay with the same monitor or does move to the new primary monitor?
Changing the primary monitor does not affect the issue. But changing to a different resolution does. Apparantly there are some issues with large resolutions: with a 1920*1080 external monitor, rendering sucks while everything's fine with a 1280*1024 one.

I'm not sure if there's any relation with system or NeoOffice versions as I upgraded to 10.6 together with the monitor upgrade. Furthermore I only tested it with my MacBook, there may be a relation to specific models.

I think it's not a real issue in the short term as projectors usually have lower resolutions now. But in the medium term it may come back when projectors' resolutions move to HTDV standards in line with DVD specs.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
I'm not sure if there's any relation with system or NeoOffice versions as I upgraded to 10.6 together with the monitor upgrade. Furthermore I only tested it with my MacBook, there may be a relation to specific models.

The only possible issue in NeoOffice would be that with the presenter console is using up all Java memory.

With all Java versions, you have to set the the maximum amount of memory that your application will use at launch time. We set Java memory fairly high but it Sun's presenter console code is scraping pixels off the other monitor (they seem to like to do that for some reason), Java memory could potentially be exhausted with a large enough screen.

Fortunately, it is fairly easy to see if this is what is happening. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application, run your NeoOffice slideshow, and when the problem occurs, escape the slideshow and see if there are any new messages in the Console application window.

If there are new messages, can you post them in this forum topic?

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The only possible issue in NeoOffice would be that with the presenter console is using up all Java memory.
You probably got that one right, here's what the console says on it:
Code:
17-09-09 18:56:20   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]   Exception
17-09-09 18:56:20   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]   in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
17-09-09 18:56:20   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(DataBufferInt.java:41)
17-09-09 18:56:20   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Raster.java:458)
17-09-09 18:56:20   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(DirectColorModel.java:1015)
17-09-09 18:56:20   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage.java:343)
17-09-09 18:56:20   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at com.sun.star.vcl.VCLImage.<init>(VCLImage.java:120)
17-09-09 18:56:20   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at com.sun.star.vcl.VCLImage.<init>(VCLImage.java:90)
17-09-09 18:56:22   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]   Exception in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
17-09-09 18:56:22   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(DataBufferInt.java:41)
17-09-09 18:56:22   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Raster.java:458)
17-09-09 18:56:22   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(DirectColorModel.java:1015)
17-09-09 18:56:22   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage.java:343)
17-09-09 18:56:22   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at com.sun.star.vcl.VCLImage.<init>(VCLImage.java:120)
17-09-09 18:56:22   [0x0-0x13013].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[171]      at com.sun.star.vcl.VCLImage.<init>(VCLImage.java:90)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject:

Hmm. I can fix this by increasing the maximum Java memory at NeoOffice launch. However, I don't want to do that for everyone as that does eat up swap space and once that space is used by Java, Java will not release it and you quit NeoOffice.

If there is adequate physical memory on your machine, I could set the maximum memory to a higher amount based on the screen resolution of your highest resolution monitor. However, if you plug in a monitor of higher resolution after you start NeoOffice, you will be stuck with the lower setting.

Does that sound like a reasonable approach?

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Hmm. I can fix this by increasing the maximum Java memory at NeoOffice launch. However, I don't want to do that for everyone as that does eat up swap space and once that space is used by Java, Java will not release it and you quit NeoOffice.

If there is adequate physical memory on your machine, I could set the maximum memory to a higher amount based on the screen resolution of your highest resolution monitor. However, if you plug in a monitor of higher resolution after you start NeoOffice, you will be stuck with the lower setting.

Does that sound like a reasonable approach?
Not sure. Just a couple of thoughts:
  1. In a presentation setting you typically want to minimise both time and risk of failure when connecting your laptop to the projector. The suggested approach is both error prone (Oops sorry folks, doesn't work, I'll have to relaunch the show) and time consulting (Startup of Neo only after projector is connected--which involves other risks as well e.g. when your audiences notices that you're actually opening a file in the folder "slideshows for suckers").
  2. 24" displays are becoming mainstream and typically feature a 1920*1080 or even 1920*1200 resolution, so the situation is not an exception anymore.
  3. Since a couple of years Apple has finally changed its default memory size policy and new macs now typically feature abundant memory (or more).
  4. Swap space is basically unlimited, I guess that unused (obsolete) allocations don't really interfere with operational performance in a typical non-server environment where rebooting so now-and-then occurs (but I may get this one wrong).
Maybe we should think a couple of days on the issue before converging to the most preferable solution.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Before we start raising the Java maximum memory, I would like to try seeing if a simpler solution may work. Raising the maximum memory makes me nervous as we endured years of user complaints of "why is NeoOffice using so much memory". Even though Java had only reserved but not actually used most of that memory, many users were alarmed by a high Java maxiumum memory.

Since the OpenOffice.org code seems to treat creating several full screen size image buffers in memory as a "low cost" operation, one approach that I thought of this morning is to delay creation of a Java image buffer as long as possible. This may not help at all, but I changed the code to not immediately allocate Java memory when the OpenOffice.org code requests a new image buffer and the code now won't allocate Java memory until the first tiime that the OpenOffice.org draws to the image buffer.

My hope is that during this delay, the OpenOffice.org code will release other image buffers which, in turn, will free up enough Java memory for the new image buffer.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if it there are still any Java out of memory error messages in the Console application?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-5-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-5-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you install the following test patch and tell us if it there are still any Java out of memory error messages in the Console application?:
The number of OutOfMemoryError messages increases rather than decreases with the test patch in place. Unfortunately it seems not to do the job.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
The number of OutOfMemoryError messages increases rather than decreases with the test patch in place. Unfortunately it seems not to do the job.

It appears that I will need to raise Java maximum memory for machines running larger resolution monitors that have more RAM. Sad

I am not surprised that the number of message increases when Java memory is exhausted as such an event is no longer as catastrophic as it was before. With the latest test patch, only a drawing operation fails so you will see a message for each failed drawing operation until memory is available. Previously, the first failure would likely soon lead to crashing so while it does not fix the OpenOffice.org code's greediness for memory, it should help stability.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Gust,

I am no longer so sure that raising the Java maximum memory will solve this and, instead, I suspect that the Sun presenter console code may be leaking memory but only in cerrtain cases.

Can you attach a sample presentation file that triggers the out of memory messages? Even after configuring two monitors to use 1920 x 1200 and copying your attached presentation file into a 22 slide presentation, I did not get any out of memory messages.

One more question: are you sure that you are using the Sun presenter console that is bundled with NeoOffice. If you installed an updated version from the OpenOffice.org website, then can you uninstall the updated one and restart NeoOffice?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Gust,

Ignore all of my recent questions as I can now reproduce this. Interestingly, I can only reproduce it on Snow Leopard so I suspect that the Java maximum memory setting that we pass when loading Java on Snow Leopard is getting ignored by Apple's Java code.

I will investigate this further and post again when I have some news.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I have create bug 3555 and fixed the bug tonight.

I think that I have fixed this Java bug and with the fix, I was able to make NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code think it was using 2 monitors each with a 3000 x 1500 resolution and on Snow Leopard I get no out of memory exceptions.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-6-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-6-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?
I got a 404 when trying to download it... Did you upload it properly?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4