Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Pasting PICT File?
Pasting PICT File?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Pasting PICT File?

Hi people,

I've got some line drawing charts I'm wanting to copy out of Reunion (genealogy package) and paste into NeoOffice/J.

When I do the paste into a drawing or text document they're being pasted as bitmaps (so loss of quality when printing).

If I do paste special only bitmap is available.

Reunion's definitely putting PICT data on the clipboard because I can paste it into AppleWorks or GC as a vector drawing.

I've tried dragging & dropping but I don't think Reunion's handling that well. Saving as a PICT file isn't a good option from the Reunion end either.

Should copy & paste be working? Any other workarounds?

NeoOffice/J 1.1 Release Candidate 8.

Thanks.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject:

OOo's support for vector formats is fairly weak, and probably non-existant for vector PICT.

A couple of brief thoughts (I don't have time to throroughly investigate ATM):

Are you pasting into Draw? You should get the best results pasting into Draw.

Can you paste into another (modern, Mac OS X) vector app and then paste from there into Neo/J? (I.e., not AppleWorks; I've been unable to get vector output from AppleWorks in recent attempts; something like OmniGraffle, perhaps?)

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
OOo's support for vector formats is fairly weak, and probably non-existant for vector PICT.

Ah, that explains it somewhat. I've had spotty success importing PICT graphic files too.

sardisson wrote:
Are you pasting into Draw? You should get the best results pasting into Draw.

Yup, tried that.

sardisson wrote:
Can you paste into another (modern, Mac OS X) vector app and then paste from there into Neo/J? (I.e., not AppleWorks; I've been unable to get vector output from AppleWorks in recent attempts; something like OmniGraffle, perhaps?)

Via OmniGraffle (only 2.2) has the same effect--still a bitmap. OmniGraffle also won't allow a drag of the picture outside of OmniGraffle.

I had reasonable success pasting into Word, saving as a Word document, then opening that with NeoOffice; but I'm trying not to use Word!

Further thoughts appreciated. I've tried a lot of workarounds today and not had success with any except Word.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

This is true. The OOo code, being original written on Windows, uses BMP as its core format and has no support for Mac-only formats like PICT. So, when you paste an image into Neo/J, it is always converted to a BMP image.

Patrick
tom
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
This is true. The OOo code, being original written on Windows, uses BMP as its core format and has no support for Mac-only formats like PICT. So, when you paste an image into Neo/J, it is always converted to a BMP image.

OK, thanks sardisson, tom, and pluby. I've had another go with importing PICTs as graphic files, and while they still require a fair amount of manual work, it's probably going to be the best option.

What I'd really like is to be able to drag & drop, so here's my vote for a future version of NeoOffice/J supporting this Smile I presume you'd need to convert from PICT to something like WMF?

Cheers
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject:

tom wrote:
[What I'd really like is to be able to drag & drop, so here's my vote for a future version of NeoOffice/J supporting this Smile I presume you'd need to convert from PICT to something like WMF?

This is really something that needs to be fixed in the core OpenOffice.org code, and unfortunately the current scope of the Neo/J project is limited to keeping Neo/J running on future versions of Mac OS X (Apple's transition has thrown a triple-whammy of huge tasks in the way). So you really need to raise better import of vector images/vector PICTs as an issue on the OpenOffice.org issue tracker.

(I just tried to import a PICT I saved from Gene and it seemed to do OK, which is good for me at least....)

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1