· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - "Save as" question
"Save as" question

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: "Save as" question

Today when I tried to save a document with a name of my choosing, I got the following message:

Quote:
Non-existent object: Path to the file does not exist

I then tried saving it using the "save" icon on the toolbar, but it gave me a dialog box requesting a document name.

I copied the document and saved it in Appleworks, using the document title I had selected.

Later, I was able to come back and save the document in NeoOffice by assigning the name "untitled." Not sure why I was unable to save it at first, or if this behavior has been observed in the past by others.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Offhand, do you recall if the path you were trying to save it to either contained spaces or may have contained non-ASCII characters? (e.g. accented characters and the like). There may be some character encoding problems with the default save location.

ed
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:

There were no spaces, just letters, a dash, and two digits.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

That should not cause any encoding problems Sad That was the only idea I had, so I'm outa ideas Sad Suggestions welcome!

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

ok, tech support question time:

does this happen every time? or just this once?

does it happen now (with the same content and file name)?

have you rebooted, restarted, checked permissions, etc?

(help to hopefully follow after those answers, and a word from our sponser)
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
As an experiment, I tried saving another document, today, from a copied webpage article. I named it "iTunes/Airport" and got the same error message. I don't get the error message when I leave out the slash mark, though. (I didn't really want the article, so it has been deleted.)

You cannot use the "/" character in a filename as this is a reserved character in Unix-based systems such as Mac OS X. The "/" character is reversed as a directory separator.

Some Mac OS X applications like the Finder work around this by converting any "/" characters to "-" characters, but NeoOffice does not implement such a workaround.

Patrick
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:
As an experiment, I tried saving another document, today, from a copied webpage article. I named it "iTunes/Airport" and got the same error message. I don't get the error message when I leave out the slash mark, though. (I didn't really want the article, so it has been deleted.)

You cannot use the "/" character in a filename as this is a reserved character in Unix-based systems such as Mac OS X. The "/" character is reversed as a directory separator.

Some Mac OS X applications like the Finder work around this by converting any "/" characters to "-" characters, but NeoOffice does not implement such a workaround.

Patrick

Um...how come the post quoted above says I wrote it, and what happened to my whole long post that came before this post? Shocked

There is a missing post, my response to Jake, between Jake's post and the one that is a response from Patrick but looks like it was posted by me.

In any case, that doesn't explain why I couldn't save the first time, when there was no "/".
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
Um...how come the post quoted above says I wrote it, and what happened to my whole long post that came before this post? Shocked

Quoting in the PHPNuke forum software is not controlled. Instead, you can assign quotes using the [quote="<name>"] anywhere. So, if you edit a quote of a different posting, you can inadvertently get the quote tags out of whack.

Patrick
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:

[quote="pluby"]
JCG wrote:

Quoting in the PHPNuke forum software is not controlled. Instead, you can assign quotes using the
<name> wrote:
anywhere. So, if you edit a quote of a different posting, you can inadvertently get the quote tags out of whack.

Patrick

Yes, but YOU posted the quote I mentioned, I never posted that, and it looks as though I did. Look again. Smile

And my post, as I mentioned in my prior post, is missing.
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

My missing response to Jake's "tech support" questions:

jakeOSX wrote:

It doesn't happen every time, but it has happened before. And I was looking at the wrong file when I indicated what the path was. The article that I copied from a webpage was something about iTunes that I wanted to save. I tried to name the document "iTunesDiskUtility." There were no digits, spaces or dashes in the document name I was trying to use, just letters of the English alphabet.

JakeOSX wrote:

does it happen now (with the same content and file name)?

When I went back to the original document, saved as "untitled", I was now able to save it as "iTunesDiskUtility."

JakeOSX wrote:

have you rebooted, restarted, checked permissions, etc?

If you mean right after having the problem, the answer is no. Whenever I have had this problem, I just save the doc as untitled and name it later.

I had downloaded updates that required rebooting two days before, and had repaired permissions at that time. I rebooted, restarted and repaired permissions for various reasons last night, which was before I tried today's "save as" experiment.

JakeOSX wrote:

(help to hopefully follow after those answers, and a word from our sponser)

*waits for word from sponsor* Wink
Kevin Horton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
The article that I copied from a webpage was something about iTunes that I wanted to save. I tried to name the document "iTunesDiskUtility." There were no digits, spaces or dashes in the document name I was trying to use, just letters of the English alphabet.

I have had a couple of occasions where I copied text from web pages, and then found that there were some strange, invisible characters included. Maybe something like this happened here.

I ran into the problem when I copied a perl script to paste into TextWrangler and then save from there. The script wouldn't run, and I found the problem when I told TextWrangler to show invisible characters. Those invisible characters were causing perl to choke.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
My missing response to Jake's "tech support" questions:

jakeOSX wrote:

It doesn't happen every time, but it has happened before. And I was looking at the wrong file when I indicated what the path was. The article that I copied from a webpage was something about iTunes that I wanted to save. I tried to name the document "iTunesDiskUtility." There were no digits, spaces or dashes in the document name I was trying to use, just letters of the English alphabet.

You may have inadvertantly also hit the reserved words list with iTunes(anything that follows). I would suggest saving as MyiTunes(anything follows).

Also, our sponsor has replied now, and it is NOT me.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1