Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - installer failure
installer failure

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck_D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: installer failure

I tried to install version 1.1 of NeoOffice/J. It gets almost to the end and crashes. The first time I was in my usual login. The crash was a freeze that left me no choice but to force restart. The next time I logged in as administrator and when the installer crashed the screen went completely black. Again, a force restart was required. This is part of what console says:

Command: soffice.bin
PID: 430

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

For what it's worth, even with the crash there is a NeoOffice app in the applications folder but when I double click on it all that happens is that happens is that an icon bounces in the dock a few times and then goes away.

My Mac is a slightly upgraded G3. It runs at 333Mhz, has 330mb RAM and the OS is 10.2.8. Both the OpenOffice and Planamesa web sites say I can't run anything newer than NeoOffice 1.1.
Any ideas?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like Apple's installer tool is crashing. Unfortunately, that is not a good sign and may indicate that Apple's installer tool or its dependencies have corrupted files.

First, verify that your downloaded NeoOffice/J 1.1 *.dmg file is exactly 125722290 bytes in size. If it is any different size, then the downloaded file is truncated or corrupted so you will need to redownload the file.

If that is not the problem, I recommend that you verify that your hard disk is OK by rebooting from your Mac OS X installation CD (insert CD, select restart from the Apple menu, and hold down the "C" key while your computer restarts).

When the Mac OS X installer starts, select the "Disk Utility" menu item from the menu bar and press the "Repair Disk" button in the dialog that appears. This will do an intensive verification of your hard disk. When this is done, cancel the Mac OS X installer, reboot, and retry installing NeoOffice.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject:

Do you have enough space left on your Hard Drive?

Pat, are you saying the fact that it is an upgraded CPU has nothing to do with it?
Chuck_D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

The .dmg file is 125722290 bytes so I'm ok there. I have 4+ gb out of 7+gb available on the OS X partition so that should be ok. I've not had any problems installing other software although I haven't added anything for a while. Is there any advantage to running disk repair from the cd vs Applejack from single user mode? I can do either but would prefer to use the most effective method.
Thanks for the suggestions
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Chuck_D wrote:
The .dmg file is 125722290 bytes so I'm ok there. I have 4+ gb out of 7+gb available on the OS X partition so that should be ok. I've not had any problems installing other software although I haven't added anything for a while. Is there any advantage to running disk repair from the cd vs Applejack from single user mode? I can do either but would prefer to use the most effective method.
Thanks for the suggestions

I've never used Applejack, but using either should be fine.

Patrick
Chuck_D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Just noticed that NeoOffice/J 1.1 wants 384mb RAM. Somehow I missed that. My Mac only has 320mb. Could that be the problem?
Will try fixing the disk anyway. Applejack is a pretty nice program. All I have to do is remember where I put the instructions that I printed! Another senior moment!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Chuck_D wrote:
Just noticed that NeoOffice/J 1.1 wants 384mb RAM. Somehow I missed that. My Mac only has 320mb. Could that be the problem?
Will try fixing the disk anyway. Applejack is a pretty nice program. All I have to do is remember where I put the instructions that I printed! Another senior moment!

NeoOffice/J 1.1? You should be installing NeoOffice 1.2 if you have Mac OS X 10.3 or higher.

As for memory, that is not the cause as the installer doesn't use much memory. Also, the 384 is a recommended amount. NeoOffice will work with a lot less memory, but it will just run very slow due to swapping memory to disk.

Patrick
Chuck_D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately 10.2.8 is as far as I can go on this old G3 without jumping thru a lot of hoops. My biggest complaint about Apple the last few years is how much stuff breaks between what seem to be fairly minor OS upgrades. Sometimes I think that instead of calling them 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 it should be 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. Maybe it would be best to just forget about NeoOffice/OpenOffice and stick with the very ancient version of MS Office that is on the old Quadra 950. Maybe someday I will be able to afford something newer.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Chuck_D wrote:
Unfortunately 10.2.8 is as far as I can go on this old G3 without jumping thru a lot of hoops. My biggest complaint about Apple the last few years is how much stuff breaks between what seem to be fairly minor OS upgrades. Sometimes I think that instead of calling them 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 it should be 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. Maybe it would be best to just forget about NeoOffice/OpenOffice and stick with the very ancient version of MS Office that is on the old Quadra 950. Maybe someday I will be able to afford something newer.

For some reason I thought you had a newer machine. If you have 10.2, then use NeoOffice/J 1.1.

Patrick
Chuck_D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately 10.2.8 is as far as I can go on this old G3 without jumping thru a lot of hoops. Maybe it would be best to just forget about NeoOffice/OpenOffice and stick with the very ancient version of MS Office that is on the old Quadra 950. Maybe someday I will be able to afford something newer.
Chuck_D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Sorry about the almost duplicate posts. Got interupted and forgot where I left off. Anyway the last hour has been spent with Applejack which cleaned up some things (permissions, cache files,etc). I was able to successfully install NeoOffice so everything is cool. There is a patch file available so I should probably install that. As you said, it is a little slow but it does run. Now I'll be spending time learning all the ins and outs. While I don't have a use for it right now, I think the formula builder is great!
Thanks for all the help.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1