· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can't get NeoOffice to run in Brazilian Portuguese
Can't get NeoOffice to run in Brazilian Portuguese

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandyMac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Can't get NeoOffice to run in Brazilian Portuguese

"NeoOffice uses the top-most language specified in your Mac OS X System Preferences (International pane, Language tab) as the user interface language, provided 1) there is a user interface available in that language and 2) the appropriate language pack has been installed, if applicable."

I'm preparing a couple of Macs to go to Brazil, and have told the people there they can use NeoOffice as an M$ Office susbsitute in Portuguese, but now I can't get NeoOffice to run in Portuguese.

According to the Downloads page, Brazilian Portuguese is included in the basic NeoOffice package; there is no separate pt_BR package available for download. However, when I restart the Mac with OS X running in Brazilian Portuguese (Finder, TextEdit, Safari, etc. all run in Portuguese as expected), NeoOffice runs in English. I installed the Brazilian Portuguese Help module, but Help also runs in English.

I switched OS X to Spanish, and NeoOffice runs in Spanish as expected. But still not in Portuguese.

I've also tried unchecking all the languages but pt_BR in the Language section of the Get Info window, but NeoOffice still runs in English (though English isn't checked at all).

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Can you run this in the terminal and report back what the terminal spits out, as well as what version of Mac OS X you're using?
Code:
defaults read NSGlobalDomain AppleLanguages

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Are you using NeoOffice 1.2 Beta with "Patch-3". On Panther, setting my preferred language in the System Preferences application to Português do Brasil and the launching Neo causes Portuguese menus, etc. to be displayed.

Patrick
HandyMac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Can you run this in the terminal and report back what the terminal spits out, as well as what version of Mac OS X you're using?
Code:

Smokey

Terminal says:
(en, pt, es, ja, fr, de, it, nl, sv, nb, da, fi, "zh-Hans", "zh-Hant", ko)

which appears to be the list of languages in the International/Language preference pane, in the order I presently have them. When I move "pt" to the top of the list and log out/in or restart, the Finder and other apps are in Portuguese, but not NeoOffice. I've just run the full AppleJack suite, but that's made no difference.

Mac mini running 10.4.4, NeoOffice 1.2b with patch 3, all up to date.

Thanks,
Andrew Main

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
On Panther, setting my preferred language in the System Preferences application to Português do Brasil and the launching Neo causes Portuguese menus, etc. to be displayed.

Patrick

Just tried in a different computer running 10.3.9, all up to date, same result: Finder and other apps run in Portuguese, NeoOffice in English. In the International/Languages preference pane I selected "Portuguese" -- there is no "Brazilian Portuguese," though that's the language pack I installed (and the only Portuguese language pack that comes with OS X so far as I know).

I'm now downloading NeoOffice again from a different server. Nice to have DSL.

Andrew
HandyMac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject:

Well, I used the new download to install NeoOffice on the second Mac mini, and tried there. Same result: OS X runs in Portuguese, but NeoOffice runs in English. Tried a second, "clean" user with no third-party System mods installed: same result. I'm stumped.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

HandyMac wrote:
Terminal says:

which appears to be the list of languages in the International/Language preference pane, in the order I presently have them. When I move "pt" to the top of the list and log out/in or restart, the Finder and other apps are in Portuguese, but not NeoOffice. I've just run the full AppleJack suite, but that's made no difference.

Your output indicates that English is your top-most preferred language in the System Preferences application, not Brazilian Portuguese.

Close Neo, open the System Preferences application, click on the International icon, click on the Languages button, and click on the Edit button. In the dialog that appears, check Português do Brasil and click the OK button. Then, drag the newly added Português do Brasil language (which will probably be at the bottom of the list) to the very top of the list.

If you do the above correctly, executing Smokey's command in a terminal should have "pt_BR" as the first item instead of "en".

Patrick
HandyMac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
HandyMac wrote:
Terminal says:

Your output indicates that English is your top-most preferred language in the System Preferences application, not Brazilian Portuguese.

Close Neo, open the System Preferences application, click on the International icon, click on the Languages button, and click on the Edit button. In the dialog that appears, check Português do Brasil and click the OK button. Then, drag the newly added Português do Brasil language (which will probably be at the bottom of the list) to the very top of the list.

If you do the above correctly, executing Smokey's command in a terminal should have "pt_BR" as the first item instead of "en".

Patrick

Yes, I did the Terminal query after switching back to English; that much is clear. But what I didn't understand is that Brazilian Portuguese is different from plain-old Portuguese, which is what I was using. After adding Brazilian Portuguese to the list and switching to that language, NeoOffice worked fine.

Many thanks for your help. Just in time; I was about to deliver the minis to the person who's taking them to Brazil when I caught your message, unpacked them, and fixed the problem. A relief--though it wouldn't have been hard to explain by email either.

Andrew
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I had forogtten that you have to manually add some of the languages to the list in the System Prefs before you can put them at the top Sad ; I'll update the instructions in the wiki.

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I have this problem too. I'd like to use Neooffice 1.2 in portuguese BR. I can use Version 1.1 in portuguese... why not 1.2??
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Code:

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Code:

How about this instead: Read through this topic. Run the "defaults" code. If your first language IS NOT pt-BR continue reading down to discover how to set Brazilian Portugese as your primary language. It appears that it is not as this is what NeoOffice and NeoOffice/J use to determine the system language in use.

James
xMac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Code:

Patrick

Terminal says:

(pt, en, es)

My default language is PT-BR. Neooffice 1.1 works in Portuguese after I choose this language in Neooffice 1.1 GET INFO (using CMD+I in Finder).

But Neooffice 1.2 does not change the language...

Any idea?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

xMac wrote:
Terminal says:

(pt, en, es)

My default language is PT-BR. Neooffice 1.1 works in Portuguese after I choose this language in Neooffice 1.1 GET INFO (using CMD+I in Finder).

Any idea?

Actually, from the output in the terminal, "Português" is your default language, not "Portuguêse do Brasil".

To make "Portuguêse do Brasil" your default language, close Neo, open the System Preferences application, click on the International icon, click on the Languages button, and click on the Edit button. In the dialog that appears, check "Português do Brasil" and click the OK button. Then, drag the newly added "Português do Brasil" language (which will probably be at the bottom of the list) to the very top of the list. Restart NeoOffice.

Patrick
xMac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
xMac wrote:
Terminal says:

(pt, en, es)

Any idea?

Actually, from the output in the terminal, "Português" is your default language, not "Portuguêse do Brasil".

To make "Portuguêse do Brasil" your default language, close Neo, open the System Preferences application, click on the International icon, click on the Languages button, and click on the Edit button. In the dialog that appears, check "Português do Brasil" and click the OK button. Then, drag the newly added "Português do Brasil" language (which will probably be at the bottom of the list) to the very top of the list. Restart NeoOffice.

Patrick

Hello Patrick

There is only "Portugues" in System Prefs and it's "Portugues do Brasil". Portugues is my default language.

I don't understand. I have 1.1 installed too. This version loads all interface in portuguese, but 1.2 does not.

Any idea?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2