Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Keyboard stuff from a switcher
Keyboard stuff from a switcher

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmeeds
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Keyboard stuff from a switcher

Coming from a PC, I am still having trouble finding a few keyboard shortcuts. Two quick questions:

1. Is there a key command that will open the File, Edit, View, etc. menus in NeoOffice 1.2? Apple's Tech support suggested ^F2, and then the right arrow to the appropriate menu--rather long...

2. A general Mac question: the key command to send an app to the dock is cmd-M. Is there no key command to retrieve it from the dock?

Thanks!
wmeeds
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyboard stuff from a switcher

wmeeds wrote:
Coming from a PC, I am still having trouble finding a few keyboard shortcuts. Two quick questions:

1. Is there a key command that will open the File, Edit, View, etc. menus in NeoOffice 1.2? Apple's Tech support suggested ^F2, and then the right arrow to the appropriate menu--rather long...

Alt(or option) + F opens the File menu. I think that Option+<the underlined letter> in the menu will open other items. I don't remember if option + e was fixed or not, but this should open the edit menu.

I don't know how to retrieve an item from the Dock, other than moving the mouse cursor to reveal the dock and then clicking on it.

James
wmeeds
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

ALT + F gives me ƒ. ALT + E gives me é. Am I missing something, or is this a possible bug?
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

wmeeds wrote:
ALT + F gives me ƒ. ALT + E gives me é. Am I missing something, or is this a possible bug?

Let me check on this. I sometimes work with OpenOffice and this may work there but not with NeoOffice.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

[quote="jjmckenzie51"]
wmeeds wrote:

Let me check on this. I sometimes work with OpenOffice and this may work there but not with NeoOffice.

It appears that Apple is correct. You will have to push Cntl+F2 to get to the top level menu and then use the directional arrow keys. In an Aqua based program the alt + letter keys are used to get to special characters.

In the X11 version of OpenOffice.org the Alt+letter keys will call up the various top-level menu items.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

James
wmeeds
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:

James, I really appreciate your help with this.

I have Open Office 2.0 running under X11. When I press ALT + F I get Ƒ. ALT + E gives me '. ALT + V gives me √. ALT I = ^. ALT O = ø, etc. Is it possible I have some kind of global setting controlling this, or is there a specific version of OO for Mac? Got any ideas, or suggestions where I might find a solution?

Thanks again!

Wilf
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: font, font who has the font?

wmeeds wrote:
James, I really appreciate your help with this.

I have Open Office 2.0 running under X11. When I press ALT + F I get Ƒ. ALT + E gives me '. ALT + V gives me √. ALT I = ^. ALT O = ø, etc. Is it possible I have some kind of global setting controlling this, or is there a specific version of OO for Mac? Got any ideas, or suggestions where I might find a solution?

Sounds like you are in the Math (formula) program. If you open a new Text Document, what is in the Font field on the menubar? It should be something like Arial, Helvetica or such.

James

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:

wmeds asked:

"2. A general Mac question: the key command to send an app to the dock is cmd-M. Is there no key command to retrieve it from the dock? "

Interesting, James is correct as I played with it too. I wonder why Apple won't/can't keyboard or menu enable that function. Maybe its tied to the Dock operation, process, function so the Finder and other apps have no control over it once it goes to the Dock.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:

are you doing alt f1 or ctrl f1?

as for the dock thing, i think with the advent of expose, that such a feature was not as needed. i mean, now that i have panther i hardly ever minimize anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

as for the dock thing, i think with the advent of expose, that such a feature was not as needed. i mean, now that i have panther i hardly ever minimize anymore.

This Jaguar user reads that and weeps... Now where did I put the MIP (Minimize in Place) hack from a few years ago?...
wmeeds
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: font, font who has the font?

[quote="jjmckenzie51"]
wmeeds wrote:

Sounds like you are in the Math (formula) program. If you open a new Text Document, what is in the Font field on the menubar? It should be something like Arial, Helvetica or such.

James

jakeOSX

When I open a new Text document I get my default font in the font field (which happens to be Lucida Bright). Also, the title bar says, "Untitled1 - OpenOffice.org Writer." If I scroll through the font menu I get Arial, Helvetica and all the usual fonts.

Reasonable question from jakeOSX. I am using a Dell ergonomic keyboard. The OPT. key on a Mac keyboard is located where the ALT. key is found on this keyboard (at least that is true for all native apps). So the answer to the question is that I am pressing the ALT/OPT key, then the letter "F."

My solution to the dock thing is to use the command Cmd-H, to hide the program. Then when I want it back, I use Cmd-Tab, to cycle through and bring it to the front. This removes mousing, which is my goal...
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject:

wmeds wrote
Quote:
Reasonable question from jakeOSX. I am using a Dell ergonomic keyboard. The OPT. key on a Mac keyboard is located where the ALT. key is found on this keyboard (at least that is true for all native apps). So the answer to the question is that I am pressing the ALT/OPT key, then the letter "F

The functions of the Option/Alt key and the Control key is one of the differences between a Mac and Windows. As far back as I can remember the Option/Alt. key has acted somewhat like a shift key in that it causes a different ACSII character to be printed. It gives things like copyright and trademark symbols, curly quotes, and a variety of accent marks over the letter. It has worked that way in SimpleText, Appleworks, WordPerfect and Word.

Guest wrote
Quote:
wonder why Apple won't/can't keyboard or menu enable that function. Maybe its tied to the Dock operation, process, function so the Finder and other apps have no control over it once it goes to the Dock.

The problem with implementing a retrieval command may also be that a user can have more than one document from the same program on the dock. Which one do you retrieve? The last one put there? The first?

Galen
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:

i did a limited test last night using ctrl, alt, F1 (etc) and f, e, etc. i could not find a combination that made the menus of Neo drop down.

now i tried a few other programs too and couldn't get them to drop down either. so either i am missing something (quite possible) or this behavior is not so common on the mac.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject:

revsmitty wrote:
wmeds wrote
Quote:
Reasonable question from jakeOSX. I am using a Dell ergonomic keyboard. The OPT. key on a Mac keyboard is located where the ALT. key is found on this keyboard (at least that is true for all native apps). So the answer to the question is that I am pressing the ALT/OPT key, then the letter "F

The functions of the Option/Alt key and the Control key is one of the differences between a Mac and Windows. As far back as I can remember the Option/Alt. key has acted somewhat like a shift key in that it causes a different ACSII character to be printed. It gives things like copyright and trademark symbols, curly quotes, and a variety of accent marks over the letter. It has worked that way in SimpleText, Appleworks, WordPerfect and Word.

Guest wrote
Quote:
wonder why Apple won't/can't keyboard or menu enable that function. Maybe its tied to the Dock operation, process, function so the Finder and other apps have no control over it once it goes to the Dock.

The problem with implementing a retrieval command may also be that a user can have more than one document from the same program on the dock. Which one do you retrieve? The last one put there? The first?

Galen

Good point. I figured as a default, it would retrieve them all for that app same as now when you click on the app icon itself in the non-Trash Can side of the Dock vs. one of the windows in the Trash Can side. It doesn't sound too easy or workable and the design team in charge might have said "to h*ll with it" or maybe, "we'll revist when the HW gets faster or OS X is more refined. Then again, maybe it just can't be done.
wmeeds
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i did a limited test last night using ctrl, alt, F1 (etc) and f, e, etc. i could not find a combination that made the menus of Neo drop down.

now i tried a few other programs too and couldn't get them to drop down either. so either i am missing something (quite possible) or this behavior is not so common on the mac.

Thanks for the test. Maybe asking for the keyboard to drop the menus is bringing too much Windows thinking to the Mac. But it sure is handy for increased productivity. Moving to Mac was one of my better decisions...now I need to learn to think like a Mac geek.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2