Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Mac Osx 10.2.8/neoOffice
Mac Osx 10.2.8/neoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
welz101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Mac Osx 10.2.8/neoOffice

I try to find a site where I can download a verssion of NeoOffice, that it will work on Mac OSX 10.2.8.

thx

welz101
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:

You can download NeoOffice 1.2.2 here. No later version will run under Mac OS X 10.2 ...

Edit : sorry, even Neo 1.2 will not run under Jaguar, and unfortunately NeoOffice 1.1 was removed (see Oscar's post for more info).

Last edited by Samwise on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
You can download NeoOffice 1.2.2 here. No later version will run under Mac OS X 10.2 ...

IIRC Neo 1.2.X uses Java 1.4, which is not available under OSX 10.2 Jaguar.

I'm a bit afraid you're out of luck. NeoOffice 1.1 was the latest version to use Java 1.3, but that was pulled out of circulation because an Apple bug causes the installer to sometimes destroy the OSX installation.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Oops, that's right. I must have replied a bit too fast, and associated the OOo 1.x codebase with Java 1.3, which of course is incorrect. Neo 1.2 does use Java 1.4 ...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Yup, no offense, I hope you don't mind paying for the OS upgrade.

We could support earlier versions of the OS, but Apple is not backporting either new interfaces or bug fixes. Really, I hope you can see their position...just like Microsoft, a software company can't support old versions indefinitely, and neither can we.

None of our newer versions will run on 10.2, and none of them ever will. The last release supporting 10.2 will still work just fine, but to run the newer ones you'll need to upgrade your OS.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The last release supporting 10.2 will still work just fine

But it's no longer available ...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

While binaries may be removed from some of the mirrors the source code is always available. If someone really needs the 10.2 release, then perhaps we still have a mirror serving it Smile Worst case scenario is that 10.2 compatible binaries can be rebuilt from source.

In my own personal experience, though, 10.3 always ran better on any machine that was 10.2 compatible.

Just like real software companies, we will be pulling support for older OSes as time goes on. Just be ready. We're roughly supporting the last two publicly available OSes, 10.3 and 10.4. Once 10.5 comes out our target compatible operating systems will change to 10.4 and 10.5.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If someone really needs the 10.2 release, then perhaps we still have a mirror serving it Smile

If there is, it's in violation of the Trademark policy Wink

OPENSTEP wrote:
Worst case scenario is that 10.2 compatible binaries can be rebuilt from source.

You still have the problem of the installer possibly wiping out your OS installation Sad (especially since it was only patched in Neo 1.2.2). You're free to do whatever with the source, as long as you don't call it NeoOffice, but I'd recommend not building and installing 1.1.

There's a reason we pulled all releases prior to Neo 1.2.2; it's unfortunate, for people still running that release, but it's in the best interest for everyone's safety.

Smokey

Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Osx 10.2.8/neoOffice

welz101 wrote:
I try to find a site where I can download a verssion of NeoOffice, that it will work on Mac OSX 10.2.8.

Go buy 10.4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Samwise wrote:

IIRC Neo 1.2.X uses Java 1.4, which is not available under OSX 10.2 Jaguar.

I'm a bit afraid you're out of luck. NeoOffice 1.1 was the latest version to use Java 1.3, but that was pulled out of circulation because an Apple bug causes the installer to sometimes destroy the OSX installation.

Best wishes,
Oscar

You can trick Jag into installing Java 1.4. Ironically, the ResExcellence.com link for that is down right now.

Having said that, I run Neo/J 1.1 without any problems (that i'm aware of, anyway) which uses Java 1.3.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
You can trick Jag into installing Java 1.4. Ironically, the ResExcellence.com link for that is down right now.

Having said that, I run Neo/J 1.1 without any problems (that i'm aware of, anyway) which uses Java 1.3.

To be quite specific: You need Java 1.4.2.06, at least. And it seem to recall that Java 1.4.1 was the best you could get. If you have a workaround, feel free to post it.

Also, the Neo 1.1 installer bug was language specific (I recall something about either Russian or Arabic or both) , so you could put it on an English system without too much risk.

But I would recommend getting either Panther or Tiger. Panther especially meant a big leap over Jaguar in terms of technology and support for devices. Tiger was a little better still, but meant much less impressive progress.

Good luck,
Oscar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

You appear to be correct. Java 1.4.1 is what I have on 10.2.8. No work around, unless that ResEx tip was for 1.4.2, but yes , I have the English version of Neo/J 1.1 installed.
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
While binaries may be removed from some of the mirrors the source code is always available. If someone really needs the 10.2 release, then perhaps we still have a mirror serving it Smile Worst case scenario is that 10.2 compatible binaries can be rebuilt from source.

As the NeoOffice Community CD Distributer in Europe, we do have copies of the original NeoOfficeJ 1.1 installation CD available and would be quite prepared to send one out in return for the usual USD 25.00. Since you are not able to order this version from the NeoOffice CD sales site, it will be sufficient to send me proof of donation of USD 25.00 to the project through the donations page and your postal address. In return, we'll happily send out the original installation CD.

As others have done, I do draw attention to the fact that this version was withdrawn due to a bug in Apple's installer system which could affect some installations, depending on language. We don't accept any liability for use of such installation CDs on anyone's computer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

As the NeoOffice Community CD Distributer in Europe, we do have copies of the original NeoOfficeJ 1.1 installation CD available and would be quite prepared to send one out in return for the usual USD 25.00. Since you are not able to order this version from the NeoOffice CD sales site, it will be sufficient to send me proof of donation of USD 25.00 to the project through the donations page and your postal address. In return, we'll happily send out the original installation CD.

As others have done, I do draw attention to the fact that this version was withdrawn due to a bug in Apple's installer system which could affect some installations, depending on language. We don't accept any liability for use of such installation CDs on anyone's computer.

No offense rays, but maybe the problematic version should be a "freebie". If I end up borking my system, I'd rather not have paid $25 smackers for the privilege first...
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
No offense rays, but maybe the problematic version should be a "freebie". If I end up borking my system, I'd rather not have paid $25 smackers for the privilege first...

So go buy a copy of Tiger already and then you can use the latest and greatest software.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3