Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - spreadsheet border woes - why different weights
spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil99
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

Dear fellow Neoers,

I have a spreadsheet form with lots of cell borders. When I print it out some of the borders come out slightly darker than the others. This happens across the width of a page.

When I export to PDF and print it's even worse. More lines are affected (not the same ones) and they're more than twice as dark and thick than they should be. Again, it happens across the page. And if I re-do the lines they still come out the same. It's as though someone inside the system is saying, "Let's annoy Neil and make the 8th, 15th, 26th and 31st lines darker. Hee hee"

Grrr

I've searched and can't find anything on this. Is this a bug?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Neil

Last edited by Neil99 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

Neil99 wrote:
When I export to PDF and print it's even worse. More lines are affected (not the same ones) and they're more than twice as dark and thick than they should be. Again, it happens across the page. And if I re-do the lines they still come out the same. It's as though someone inside the system is saying, "Let's annoy Neil and make the 8th, 15th, 26th and 31st lines darker. Hee hee"

Could you try to make the PDF at a higher resolution? This sometimes happens when line thickness has to be rounded and not all are rounded consistently. I try to go for 1200 DPI myself if I can.

Best wishes,
Oscar
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

Neil99 wrote:
I've searched and can't find anything on this. Is this a bug?

Possibly. Can you post an example document?

I remember in the old days of cell borders, sometimes one defined a bottom border on one row and a top border on the one below, and that ended up making the line between them fatter/bolder than it should have been if you were consistently defining only top or only bottom borders. Not sure if Neo suffers from this or not....

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

sardisson wrote:
I remember in the old days of cell borders, sometimes one defined a bottom border on one row and a top border on the one below, and that ended up making the line between them fatter/bolder than it should have been if you were consistently defining only top or only bottom borders.
Not sure if Neo suffers from this or not....

Smokey

Smokey, et al,

Yes, Neo does suffer from this problem. When I edit / print in MS Word I don't see this (much) but Neo 2.0 it is very visable while printing.

Philip (I STILL prefer NeoOffice over MS Word. Smile )
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

LemonAid wrote:
Yes, Neo does suffer from this problem. When I edit / print in MS Word I don't see this (much) but Neo 2.0 it is very visable while printing.

Is this an OOo bug or something introduced by Patrick's printing code?

best wishes,
Oscar

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

I don't have access to OOo on Windows at home to test.

and I have seen a similar problem in MS Word (to a lesser degree), but not as noticable - but it's still there.

Philip ( Always seems to be more questions than answers! Wink )
Neil99
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

ovvldc wrote:
Could you try to make the PDF at a higher resolution? This sometimes happens when line thickness has to be rounded and not all are rounded consistently. I try to go for 1200 DPI myself if I can.

Not sure I understand. I just export the spreadsheet document to PDF and choose 'Lossless Compression'
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

Neil99 wrote:
Not sure I understand. I just export the spreadsheet document to PDF and choose 'Lossless Compression'

I think lossless compression is about bitmaps and I meant vector drawings. Sometimes, when you have a really low resolution (72 dpi or sth), the thickness of a line is rounded to single points. And at these densities, the difference is pretty visible when printed. As soon as you get down to 600 dpi or something, the difference is too small to tell.

Best wishes,
Oscar

(I hope I made sense, I had quite a bit to drink earlier this evening)
Neil99
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: spreadsheet border woes - why different weights

ovvldc wrote:
Neil99 wrote:

I think lossless compression is about bitmaps and I meant vector drawings. Sometimes, when you have a really low resolution (72 dpi or sth), the thickness of a line is rounded to single points. And at these densities, the difference is pretty visible when printed. As soon as you get down to 600 dpi or something, the difference is too small to tell.

Best wishes,
Oscar

(I hope I made sense, I had quite a bit to drink earlier this evening)

OK...so, how can I change this in NeoOffice Calc?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject:

The Export to PDF feature allows you to choose yourself, so that is a no-brainer. The Direct Export to PDF re-uses the settings you last entered into the not so direct export feature. So make a complicated PDF and enter a decent resolution.

I hope it reduces the problem somewhat. No guarantees, but at least PDF should not be any worse than normal printing.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Neil99
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
The Export to PDF feature allows you to choose yourself, so that is a no-brainer

OK. Whichever I use, I get a box giving me the choice of Lossless compression or JPEG compression, and the ability to Reduce image resolution. Lossless is the winner, right? Are you saying I should also tick the Reduce image resolution box and change it to 1200 (and keep lossless selected)? If so, it's hardly intuitive, what with the word 'Reduce' 'n' all.

Confused
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

Neil99 wrote:
OK. Whichever I use, I get a box giving me the choice of Lossless compression or JPEG compression, and the ability to Reduce image resolution. Lossless is the winner, right?

OK, never mind, I seem to be the no-brainer here. I was thinking to somewhere else, maybe Neo 1.2. There does not really seem to be a DPI selector for anything but the images, which you do not want to have lossy or reduce. Mea culpa!

Could you post the document you have problems with somewhere so we can have a look and perhaps pass it to Patrick if there is anything weird going on with printing versus OOo windows? I'll check it tomorrow at work if you want. Feel free to PM me with a location if you don't want it out in the open entirely. Given that I've led you astray, the least I can do is help fix things Smile.

Best wishes and massive apologies,
Oscar

Neil99
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:

Oscar,
I PM'd you (if I did it right).
Cheers,
Neil
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject:

OK, I checked on OOo Win and it has the same problems. So initial bug reporting seems to belong at Issuezilla. I did notice in Win that setting the border again would change what it looks like in print, and that using the Export to PDF and printing to Acrobat 7 yielded different, but still crappy borders. So I do not know exactly what is going on.

I'lll investigate further on the Mac and send the resulting files to you and Patrick when I am done.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Neil99
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject:

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have absolutely no idea what you just said - but thanks for your help Very Happy

I appreciate it.

Neil
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2