· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - it just sits there and does nothing but hog the cpu
it just sits there and does nothing but hog the cpu

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: it just sits there and does nothing but hog the cpu

I've been using 1.2.2 for some time and now that the aqua style 2.0 has come out, I am stoked. But alas I can't seem to use it.

If I open it or open a file that opens it... the little ship bounces in the dock and then just sits there and basically says "application not responding". I checked out the CPU usage and soffice is still doing 60% to 70%, though nothing is happening on screen.

i uninstalled everything and redownloaded it freshly via a mirror. Reinstalled it and again the same thing. Then I used the bit torrent way. Still the same thing. Each time I have tried it with and without the patch. It didn't matter.

It sucks because I was trying to put together something work related together and, though I can still do sort of do what I need to do in text edit, it basically sucks not having this available.

I've downloaded 1.2.2 again and might have to go back to that until I can figure it out.

i am running 10.4 on a 12" powerbook. I think this is everything. any insight would be appreciated.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Do you have any anti-virus software running? If so, check out the "performance" section of the "Troubleshooting" page of the wiki. (wiki link should be in the "other websites" box on the left; I'm too rushed right now to pull up the exact url for the article).

The Troubleshooting page of the wiki may have some other ideas in other sections, too.

Be sure to post back if the tips there don't solve your problem.
geoph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: arrggghhh.

Thanks for the quick response.

I disabled the norton antivirus stuff from scanning neo-office stuff. And I had restarted it. Yet, it is still in the same place. Just now I also disabled it entirely to see what would happen... and no change.

Before all this I had also checked the Troubleshooting section and ran through the test to see that the java was working. Which it was. And about everything else that I can find in that section that pertains to it. I have already done.

Should I uninstall it all and then keep it from scanning the packages before I install them? I don't really see how that would help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

What NeoOffice patch have you installed? We are up to Patch 7 now.

Patrick
geoph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: patch

The latest: NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_3-Patch-7-PowerPC
geoph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: mirror

I downloaded another installer package from a different mirror and alas, still no change. It just bounced longer... But finally settled down to show me that it wasn't responding.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Did you have a look at the page Lorinda suggested?

In particular, I'd expect to see some messages about NeoOffice in the Console in this case.

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: still poopy

I had checked that section. that was what lead me to check to make sure java was working fine. I double checked the console log.... nothing. I checked the crash logs, which since it didn't really crash, then, as expected, still nothing.

there is no dialog box or anything anywhere at least giving me a hint. I checked it with activity monitor and, though it says "application not responding" in the dock, there is no hangs. Just about 40% cpu usage and a really hot computer is the result. What can the processor be doing and is there a place that i can go for it to tell me what it is doing?

thanks everybody for at least baring with me and helping me out.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

If nothing is being added to the Console.log, then try taking a sample using Activity Monitor and then file a bug and *attach* the sample file to the bug (don't paste it into bug or forum comments fields, at those reformat the sample and make it impossible to read). Hopefully that will have some useful info.

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

thanks

that was going to be my last resort. And apparently I am at it. I will do it this evening when I have a little time.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1