Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - What's the PHStat2 equivalent?
What's the PHStat2 equivalent?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrejfavia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: What's the PHStat2 equivalent?

In Excel (Windows), you can install something called PHStat2, which is an Excel add-on that allows you to do z-distributions, t-distributions, Bernoulli's, Binomials, and so forth using statistical data. I'm sick of running around the internet for free, Mac-only programs, and all of the R compatible stuff is also Windows only. So, is there some way to add extensions for NeoOffice (and, also, which one would do 100-level statistics?)
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

PHStat2 seems to be an Excel VBA macro, but its website claims that only Windows versions of MS Office are supported, so I suspect that it's not "pure" VBA, and thus unlikely to be supported by NeoOffice 2.1.

Any OpenOffice.org addon should work with NeoOffice; have a look at OOoMacros ...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject:

While it doesn't integrate, I have used R on OS X:

http://cran.r-project.org/

Not sure if the packages you were looking at were somehow binary and used compiled code and weren't totally written in R.

Some of the OOo statistics addons are C++ based, but if you find one that is Java based you may be in luck (I haven't tried any python extensions yet myself)

ed
andrejfavia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

No, I installed R, but then when I went to open it, I got this command-like interface, and I couldn't find any place for me to enter data as one would in a spreadsheet. A new R document opened a notepad-looking window, and, again, I couldn't see a way to enter or manipulate data. There wasn't even a template with example data for me to use so that I knew how to access a spreadsheet. I was really confused. So, I uninstalled R.

I didn't see any macros/extensions that were satisfactory, and, no, O Statistics isn't advanced enough. I need something that does z, t, and Bernoulli distributions.

Otherwise, I'm forced to go to the computer labs over an hour away from the house and use Minitab, because that's what they use for class.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:

Yes, R is a command line interface as it's a programming language so to use it you'll have to learn R (well, S really since it's just a language clone). There's no graphical frontend aside from things that make it a little bit easier to write new code without having to use a shell and editor. Same thing goes for octave (an open source matlab, but there again, most matlab people use the statistics toolbox of which I'm not sure if there is an octave equivalent).

If your lab is using minitab and that's what you're familiar with, you could try and find the old OS 9 version of minitab and then run it in Classic (or try SheepSaver if you have an Intel Mac). It's an older version but tried last time I used it (though it's been years). If you do have an Intel Mac your best bet may be to try parallels or the VMWare solutions for the newer versions.

You may also want to look and see if JMP can do your analysis (they do have an OS X version).

ed
andrejfavia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject:

JMP is $1000+, as is Windows Minitab. I can't find an OS 9 version, even on the "computer-friendly" network (which is all but friendly). I suppose that I could stick with trial versions of JMP.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1