Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - getting rid of the auto-texting feature in the word processo
getting rid of the auto-texting feature in the word processo

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abarham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: getting rid of the auto-texting feature in the word processo

I find the automatic tendency of neo office's word processor to "finish" words while typing to be an incredibly irritating nuisance. (in fact, I find myself shouting myself hoarse after a while -- not a particularly useful thing to do if one is a teacher who relies on his voice during lesson!). Could somebody please tell me how to switch the sodding useless thing off? I have tried doing this via the formatting menu, but anything I've tried has so far failed to work.
Sincerely,
A Barham
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Word completion

Tools > AutoCorrect brings up a menu. Select the Auto-completion tab, then deselect "Enable Word completion" I agree it can be annoying, especially when it guesses wrong. I leave it on, though, because I still watch my fingers when I type. So I don't see its suggestions Smile

Peter
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:

I have found this utterly annoying myself, if I have the completion key set to Space Bar Evil or Very Mad. I changed it to Enter and now I am quite happy with it Very Happy.

I have no idea why they set it to complete when you press space - after all it is the most usual way to continue to the next word if you have finished it. Big oversight on part of the OOo UI designer that it would get so much in the way of normal workflow.

Patrick, is there any way we can convince you to change the default prefs for this one? It annoys the f*ck out of pretty much everyone. It need only be a trivial patch...

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:

I'll look into how we're doing the default preferences. Back in the OOo X11 1.0 days I actually was munging a full prefs set for each user but now it's generated.

Is the thought to turn it off completely or just to change the key? Turning it off is the first thing I've done for six years with this stupid app Wink

ed
cbstephenson
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: I vote OFF.

Turn it off, please. Drives me batty. Twisted Evil
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Patrick, is there any way we can convince you to change the default prefs for this one? It annoys the f*ck out of pretty much everyone. It need only be a trivial patch...

Nope. I have no plans to expand the scope of NeoOffice into the OpenOffice.org application code. We seem to keep forgetting that donation levels are not adequate to hire more developers (let alone pay me a full salary).

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Nope. I have no plans to expand the scope of NeoOffice into the OpenOffice.org application code.

I'm with you on this one, Patrick. Users should go lobby OOo to turn it off before it gets into derivatives such as Neo.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
I'm with you on this one, Patrick. Users should go lobby OOo to turn it off before it gets into derivatives such as Neo.

I agree. Also, starting with Neo 2.1, Novell can be lobbied to put it in their ooo-build project. Novell not only seems to be a lot more agreeable to changes in the base OOo product but they also have the staffing to actually do it.

Without Novell, I really don't think any Office 2007 Word support or Excel macro support for OOo would exist. I don't know how much Novell spent to fund this work, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that at least 2 or 3 million US dollars has been spent by Novell.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
pluby wrote:
Nope. I have no plans to expand the scope of NeoOffice into the OpenOffice.org application code.
+1

Another way to go is to have a checklist of common settings that most users customize.
Here is a good start: "Setting up OOo to suit the way I work",
by Jean Hollis Weber, Technical Editing Consultant.

New Users should also review the following articles: OpenOffice.org Off the Wall,
List of the columns written by Bruce Byfield

Quote:
Eleven Tips for Moving to OpenOffice.org

By Bruce Byfield on Mon, 2004-03-01

Replacing a complicated piece of software like an office suite can be a major undertaking. But, if you apply a few simple rules to make sure your needs are met, you'll be ready to be productive on the new software right away.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7158

Quote:
Oo Off the Wall: What New Users Need to Know About OpenOffice.org

By Bruce Byfield on Thu, 2005-07-14

OOo does some things quite differently than other office applications, so what should you know going in for the first time?
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8443

Philip ( Settings are easy, Once you know where they are! Wink )

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I just meant a single (hopefully trivial) patch that sets the default character in the default preferences file for word autocompletion to something other than Space Bar. No coding..

Patrick, I am well aware of your position on OOo code and on taking on extra projects. It was not my intention of pushing something grand on you. I you don't take it the wrong way.

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject:

I understand Patrick's position myself since the way prefs are handled is a very tricky thing...and OOo's own code seems to not be able to upgrade its own prefs properly in 2.1. It looks like it's not a simple fix Smile

The primary logic is that if it's something we have to customize, it's one more thing we need to maintain. As we've unfortunately found out, in certain parts of the OOo code the coding quality has been degrading and hacks are being introduced that either break our code or severely impact its performance. No need to point fingers, but we have had to reverse a few boneheaded engineering changes that got forced into the mainline.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject:

well, for us none ed/patrick people, is there a way to do it via macros?

if so, perhaps a 'setup' template that you can run that sets up certain prefs and gives help on others as a way to help with these common questions.

would be looking into, i think. hell, it would work cross platform that way as well.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I see that angle but haven't had a chance to explore it. I'll take a look, but I hadn't considered the support side of it myself Question I haven't looked at prefs in years, but the last time I did they were a bear (and thankfully, were still in hibernation).

ed

/you gotta picknicka baskeet?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1