View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like Neo Office icons?
Not at all.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Yes, it is wonderful.
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Sink the ship and think of something else.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

zillo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Ugliest icons in an office kind of software

I enjoy my Neo Office 2.1, every part of it is great, and I'm telling every mac user I know to start using it and drop the Office from the Dark Side.

But I have to say, and pray every night, to developers call an icon designer and do a real nice job on the icons.

Neo Office deserves a better looking bunch of icons.

Don't you agree?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:

I don't know if you noticed, but NeoOffice 2.1 ships with a new set of icons, different that the set shipped with previous versions. Perhaps you prefer the old icon set included in NeoOffice 2.0, but suggesting that the current icons are the ugliest icons in an office kind of software is an insult to all the people who worked hard to create this new set.

In NeoOffice > Preferences > NeoOffice > View, you can change the icon style to use one of the other included icon sets (HiContrast, Industrial, or Crystal).

Edit : BTW I didn't read your question and mistakenly cast my vote for "Not at all", however that was my reply to whether I considered the Akua icons to be the ugliest icons in an office kind of software.

Last edited by Samwise on Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:

The ship logo was in fact recently selected as one of the most iconic Mac app icons ever by Mac|Life (formerly MacAddict) magazine....

I, of course, really like Akua Smile

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Well there's a loaded question for a poll: the choices are "wonderful", "bad" or "worst ever".

How about a new option: "they're not perfect yet but we're all trying hard and they already beat the hell out of what we had before."
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject:

zillo.

Welcome to to NeoOffice.

Interesting poll. The new Akua icons were created, and contributed, by (skilled) community members, Voted on many times, updated and improved, AND there are Hundreds of icons that need to be replaced. I don't remember the (very Loooong) message thread but it's available here online.

It would be wonderful if a paid, professional, Icon Designer would step forward and contribute the many hours and effort needed to do this large task. An quick estimated might be several hundred hours.... Shocked
Many members here contributed to this effort. Calling them the "ugliest icons in an Office Suite" could be considered an insult, to some. Sad

We appreciate your comments, and sharing Neo with others.
Hope you find Neo as useful as many others have.

Philip ( NeoOffice, a community of contributors! Wink )

aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Votes

Welcome, zillo. You have managed to walk into a topic with a long history, and place yourself on the losing side Wink Life happens. At this point, the votes are 7 wonderful and 2 not at all. Assuming you are one of the 2, and Samwise is the other [by mistake] it looks like you got your answer, so I won't labour the point.

Let me suggest that users of the other [eg Windows, Linux, X11] versions of OpenOffice.org 2 are probably looking very enviously at the NeoOffice default icons [Akua], and then looking back at the default icons of OpenOffice.org. I have yet to see a single user ask the NeoOffice developers to bring back those old OpenOffice.org default icons, which have been dumped in favour of the Akua icons.

As to the ship, there are those who like and those who don't. When I look at the [40+] icons in my dock, it is no worse than Google Earth, certainly better than OpenOffice.org, I would have thought better than Word or Skype or Graphic Converter... It's all individual, I reckon.
Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1