· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Base: Redefining a Field
Base: Redefining a Field

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothrock
Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Base: Redefining a Field

In making my database I specified some text fields without enough length and others with too much.

I went into my table definition to change the length, but when I do base informs me that the column couldn't be saved and asks if it should be delete and recreated. If I say yes, the column is recreated, but all the data that is in there is deleted.

Is there an easy procedure for adjusting things once you have started entering data?
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject:

I don't think so. I think you are stuck with the field definitions you provided at the beginning, unless you are willing to delete data. This is not just a Base limitation. Year ago I worked with another relational database (called Double Helix then). Every year I needed to delete all the data in certain fields; I did so by changing the field type for that field to something else, then changing it back. I didn't have to set field lengths with that program, but it looks like Base handles changing field lengths the same way it handles changing field type.
Rothrock
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:

So then the procedure would be to make anew column with a new name and the correct length, copy the old data into the new field and finally delete the old field. Is that possible? Is it "easy"?
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:

Well, creating a new field isn't all that hard. I don't know if you can copy and paste a whole column of data in Base the way you can in Calc. Sounds like a good experiment to try...let us know if it works.

Since you have a lot of questions about Base, you might want to take a look at the wikipedia article on Base. It's the closest thing to an index of Base help articles I've found yet. One of these days I'll try to get a similar list of links in our wiki, but it may be quite a while before I get around to it.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda,

Thanks for the GREAT Base link.
Maybe this could be a "quick" addition to the "Documents & Resources" page until you get around to a more detailed listing under "Base"?

So many Great resources, so Hard to find them all! Rolling Eyes

Philip ( back Wink )
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject:

Poking around a bit in the wiki, I found a list of links/resources on a different page (Using your database with NeoOffice). Since Smokey recently added a latent link for a page on NeoOffice Base comparable to the ones on Writer, Impress, etc., I made it an actual page and copied over the list of links, plus added this wikipedia one. Then I added a link to that section in the "Related Wiki Articles" section of the Documentation and Related Resources page.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Shocked OK?

It will take me a bit to follow all that. I'll assume that it can be summarized as
- The WIKI has been improved - AGAIN! Cool

Many thanks!

Philip ( drat, now I have to ... read and learn! Wink again.)
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I found a list of links on this page

I created the NeoBase page. It was already a red (i.e. latent) link on the Tips and Hints Page.

Then I created another cross reference on the Documentation page.

Is that clearer? Smile
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:

And now that you have done all the job, it was very easy and comfortable (and cool Wink) for me to create a Fr page. I had only to add some links.
Many thanks Lorinda (quel sens de l'organisation vous avez ! Very Happy)

Jacqueline
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject:

vraiment!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1