· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Find and Replace how to
Find and Replace how to

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xav8driver
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Find and Replace how to

Can someone help me with the wildcard search and replace I would need to do the following:
I need to search and find the times below in the Depart and Arrive columns and insert a ":" in the time. I am able to convert the below to table format and boldface the times and "Find" them with a "font weight", but how do I get that colon inserted?

Date Flight From Depart To Arrive
03Jul 2089 OAK 1652 SNA 1810
03Jul 1071 SNA 1844 SJC 2001
03Jul 839 SJC 2031 SNA 2141

I would like it to look like the below when done. (note the times under Depart and Arrive)
Date Flight From Depart To Arrive
03Jul 2089 OAK 16:52 SNA 18:10
03Jul 1071 SNA 18:44 SJC 20:01
03Jul 839 SJC 20:31 SNA 21:41

Thanks
xAV8driver
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject:

If you're happy keeping the data in a table (I'm assuming you're doing this in Writer, then) you can simply select the column the times are in, do ctrl-click/right-click and choose Number Format from the contextual menu, and then set up a user-defined number format that looks like:
00:00
and then assign it to your column of 4-figure numbers, which will then display as e.g. 16:52 - if you really need to do it as a search & replace, I don't know how... Sad

- Padmavyuha
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject:

Don't waste your time - it doesn't work in OOo 2.1 or 2.2.1 (or MS for that matter); same for NeoOffice 2.1 and 2.2.1 EAP

I tested tables in Writer and cells in Spreadsheet and when you apply a numbers format > Time > 13:37; the numbers in cells change out to 00:00
(in fact all the times features zero out the numbers)
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject:

If you moved your table over to a spreadsheet (even temporarily), you might be able to use some of Calc's functions to split the time figures into two numbers and then add the : between them. The process would be similar (but not identical) to the one here.

But I'm pretty sure your results would then be considered text. I'm not sure if there is a way to successfully "convert" the edited numbers to time format in Neo, although that might not be necessary depending on what you are doing.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject:

mickeyinlalaland wrote:
Don't waste your time - it doesn't work in OOo 2.1 or 2.2.1 (or MS for that matter); same for NeoOffice 2.1 and 2.2.1 EAP

I tested tables in Writer and cells in Spreadsheet and when you apply a numbers format > Time > 13:37; the numbers in cells change out to 00:00
(in fact all the times features zero out the numbers)

Don't waste your time with time formats, just use the number format 00:00 as I suggested and you'll get your time formats:

- padmavyuha

*edit* The problem with the OOo/Neo time format is that it calculates the cell value as a percentage of the number of seconds in 24 hours. So 16:52 would only appear as a time if you'd entered 0.702777777777778! OOo could do with some intelligent logic to sit behind its time formats that would offer the option of recognising existing time formats, but you'd have to lobby OpenOffice.org for that.
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

Brilliant! I was being too literal with "time" being the one factor that was constant; but your direction is perfect for this situation!
xav8driver
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:

Brilliant indeed! You guys rock, thanks for the help. Took me about 45 secs once I opened Neo. Kinda just like creating you own currency format. Many thanks again.

Very Happy

xAV8driver
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1