Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Why does X-Men : The Last Stand suck so much?
Why does X-Men : The Last Stand suck so much?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Why does X-Men : The Last Stand suck so much?

(note: contains spolier!)

Yeah I couldn't pay to see it in the theatre but it finally came on pay-tv so I watched this strange excuse for a movie.

Man comic book movies make me hate myself...they are so addictive to watch (as are comic books to read...) but yet as of late all sequels seem to suck horribly. Even though it's so horrible, I...still...must...watch!

I still don't think Prof. X was ever killed off in the comic books but man, there are so many that I may be wrong. Any bets on whether they'll find some way to resurrect Jean Gray/Dark Phoenix? Or, given the general quality of the script..., is x-men 4 dead in the water?

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Prof. X dies? Not in this, or even that, Meta-Universe comic. Mad
Resurrect Jean Gray/Dark Phoenix? She has more lives than a Cat. She keeps coming back! Cool (is that Scott? )

HOW could they do such things to ... Comic books (oops - Graphic Novels). Is nothing ... sacred? Shocked

Philip ( and I have thousands of comi- er Graphic Novels to back up my opinion! Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject:

I always dug X-men but only ever jumped into the comic books from time to time and yeah, after a bit of googling it does seem that it's always possible to resurrect jean gray Smile

Yeah I thought the Prof X thing in the movie was totally bogus. Thanks for the factual backup! When I saw that I was like "what?" since Prof X is in everything I've ever read & animated series and never dies.

Apparently Prof X has vulcan mind meld capabilities in the movies but you don't find this out unless you watch the credits and check the after-whatever (which I doubt many did since the movie was just horrid).

WTH is Gambit...yes, not an original, but I thought his character had some nifty depth that could adapt to movies...

ed

/they should've built a real freeway stretch of the 101 under SF instead of rebuilding the bridge, moviemakers got it all wrong
//golden gate bridge is overrated due to van ness traffic sucking, best solution to SF is to drive around it
///tolls suck
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does X-Men : The Last Stand suck so much?

OPENSTEP wrote:

Man comic book movies make me hate myself...they are so addictive to watch (as are comic books to read...) but yet as of late all sequels seem to suck horribly. Even though it's so horrible, I...still...must...watch!

Keep in mind that most of the stuff in the movie was lifted directly from various editions of the comic series.

They did take liberties with a lot of things in order to adapt it to the screen. Compared to other badly done movies (like ones "based" on Stephen King books) I thought they did a pretty good job for the most part.

OPENSTEP wrote:

I still don't think Prof. X was ever killed off in the comic books but man, there are so many that I may be wrong.

Yeah, this is one of their inventions.

The man that is in the hospital mentioned early in one of the classroom scenes and then again at the end of the movie is Prof X's twin brother. The idea being that while Prof X was born with all the personality with extras, his twin brother was born with no conciousness.

A little lame, but they are trying to have fun.

This also means that Prof X won't be in a wheel chair as the twin brother never had the accident that messed up Prof X.

OPENSTEP wrote:
Any bets on whether they'll find some way to resurrect Jean Gray/Dark Phoenix? Or, given the general quality of the script..., is x-men 4 dead in the water?

Well, in the comics, Dark Phoenix could destroy planets.

They had to tone down an all powerful being for the big screen.

I liked best the "spin off" comics that were done about Wolverine. They were always amusing. There are rumors that they will do Wolverine movies, but who knows.

I was disappointed with how much they toned down Wolverine in general, but when the school was invaded in the second movie, you got to see what the character was like in the comics. He had no issues with slicing people up when needed. This was visited again when Wolverine went after Magneto's base in the woods in the 3rd movie.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does X-Men : The Last Stand suck so much?

MacRat wrote:
Yeah, this is one of their inventions.

The man that is in the hospital mentioned early in one of the classroom scenes and then again at the end of the movie is Prof X's twin brother. The idea being that while Prof X was born with all the personality with extras, his twin brother was born with no conciousness.

I thought that there was Prof X's twin somewhere in one of the comic books...very intriguing stuff. Makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for all the backstories. I totally missed a lot of the comic books and have been combing wikipedia for some of the blank spots Wink

I also do agree, the Wolverine spinoffs were some of the best.

In terms of bad adaptations of books to movies, I gotta give I, Robot one of the top awards.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject:

it sucked because the director/writer of the first two went on to do superman instead. hence why superman rocked.

and since he was gone, they didn't ask me to write it, so naturally it was sub-par.

(bad guys don't have matching outfits)
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
In terms of bad adaptations of books to movies, I gotta give I, Robot one of the top awards.

ed

I didn't think it was such a bad movie myself. But I never read the book, so ...
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

ed
I didn't think it was such a bad movie myself. But I never read the book, so ...
I like the movie, a lot, but it had little relationship to the book. Rolling Eyes Shocked

That seems to be the way with most Comic Movies - they have the name, but much of the story is ... completely different. Heck, Hollywood often does that. Same Movie "title", completely different story line.

Maybe that is why it's refered to as Holly-wierd?!?

Philip ( Pay NO attention to the man behind the ... curtain! Wink )
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does X-Men : The Last Stand suck so much?

OPENSTEP wrote:

Heh. It's not even an adaptation.

the I, Crap movie had absolutely nothing to do with ANY robot story written by Asimov.

The script had been written long before they ever bought the rights to the I, Robot name and then they did a script edit to sprinkle in a few Asimov references before filming started.

Not a bad movie on it's own, but it has nothing to do with the Asimov stories.
drbones666
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject:

The simple and not inaccurate answer is, they let Brett Ratner direct this one. The director of the first 2 was off directing the latest Superman. Go to IMDB and look up Brett Ratner and you'll get an idea why this sucked so bad.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject:

Sorry, did not see it. But I have similar gripes about the Transformers film. That was truly gutwrenchingly awful..

-Oz

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:

I still haven't seen the Transformers film. One theory I heard, however, is that good and bad kind of form a closed loop. If something can find a way to truly awful enough, somehow it becomes awesome. He cited Transformers (live action) as his proof.

The animated Transformers still continues to rule as much as it did when I was a kid. I mean really...Eric Idle? Leonard Nimoy? Orson Welles?! Transformers have laser swords? It's awesome.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I know people have that kind of reaction. For me, that does not work. If it is bad you cannot flip it around by making it worse. Suffice to say I really recommend against paying for that film. The sooner Holloywood starts losing money on that kind of excrement, the faster they start making better films.

Best wishes,
Oscar

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject:

dude, transformers was awsome.

big robots, check
bad robots, check
they transform, check
heavy military equipment, check
bad dialogue, check
explosions? oh yes, there were explosions

i mean, what else did the movie need?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject:

A plot? A script? Acting? Suspension of disbelief?

Just some thoughts..

-Oz

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2