Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc numbers going up as I copy
Calc numbers going up as I copy

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclipsenow
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Calc numbers going up as I copy

Hi all,
a basic one... how do I turn off the function that raises numbers by 1 every time I copy the cell downwards?

I have some regular bills etc, and I want to copy them down for the next month... but they keep going up by one dollar. How do I turn this on and off? I've tried looking in help, but obviously can't guess what the name of this function is. (There is no formula in the cells I am copying, it's something else.)

Cheers, and thanks for the great software.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject:

Select the cell you want to copy, press Cmd-C. Then select the cell in which you want to paste the data and press Cmd-V. Or select the cell you want to copy and the cell in the row below and choose Fill > Down in the Edit menu
If you drag the mouse to the row below, Calc "fills" the cells adding 1 per row.

Hope that helps

Jacqueline
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject:

There are a number of ways to copy a single cell's contents to the cell(s) below it.

Selecting a cell, then hovering the cursor over the black square in the cell's bottom-righthand corner until the cursor turns into a cross, and then dragging down, is a species of autofill - and that will increment the number by 1.0 with each cell you go down. (This also works going left/right/up, and with multiple cell selections.) It's disconcerting when your numbers are not integers, as they still get incremented/decremented by 1.0, so e.g. 0.3 decrements to -0.7!

One way to keep your number is to select the source cell and the target cell(s) and then in the menu go to Edit-Fill-Down (if it isn't already set up, it's easy to assign this to e.g. cmd-D shortcut) - this will copy the source contents to the target cell(s) without incrementing the number. This won't work if you've selected multiple source cells though - then you'll have to use cmd-C to copy the source cells and then cmd-V to paste the contents to the target cell(s) without changing the numbers.

Note that the Fill methods work when duplicating cell contests across, as well as down/up - you can assign shortcuts to all the Fill directions.

I hope this helps/makes sense.

- padmavyuha

(I'd have got in there first, but I was experimenting!)
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this helps you for your particular situation but if two consecutive cells contain the same data and you highlight both cells you can then click and drag without the incremental increase. just FYI
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Thanks all. If I remember correctly, there may have been an option in Microsoft Excel (gasps, coughs, "excuse me — I didn't mean to swear") where this adding function could be turned off. But I am happy to Command C + V for now. Great software guys!
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Filling with the same number without increment/decrement is easy. Just hold down the Cmd key while you drag the fill handle.

Just so you know, incremented fill works with days of the week and months, too. Incrementing a date cell adds one day. But, again, simply holding down the command key stops the incrementing, and fills with the top cell's contents.

Eclipsenow
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Excellent! Laughing
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1