· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - TOC for a page layout
TOC for a page layout

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastrygirl
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: TOC for a page layout

I'm new to NeoOffice from Word, so maybe I'm not doing this the right way... In Word, I had "sections," but in NeoOffice, I have "page layouts." I need to create a TOC for individual sections, and was able to do that in Word. Is there a way to do that in NeoOffice? A workaround would be to copy the styles that I use for the TOC and rename the style for each section, but I would end up with about 20 styles that are exactly the same.

This is for a cookbook, where I want to have the section name (not in the TOC itself) followed by its TOC.

I thought about trying chapters, but I can't find info on how or where to create/name a chapter... Also, if I do use chapters, I wouldn't want the chapter name to show up in text anywhere -- I would want it solely to create the TOC for the chapter, if that's possible. (The sections are divided by a full-page photo that has the chapter name as part of the .jpg.)

Any help is appreciated!

Cristina
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Cristina,

Welcome to NeoOffice and the forums at trinity.

Neo has sections, too, although I don't know if TOCs can be specific to a section.

I would reccommend that you look at the Table of Contents article in the wiki as a starting point.

It might also be worthwhile to consider using a Master document. Each chapter would be its own document, pulled together in a master document. There's also a wiki article about that, available here.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Lorinda
pastrygirl
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks -- I forgot about Master documents. They were awful in Word (complete document corruption), so I've stayed away from that concept. I'll give it a try in NeoOffice. Though, if it works the same way as in Word, I don't think it will help my TOC problem. I need the TOC chunks to show up on the same page (or set of pages) rather than within their individual sections.

Also, it looks like the sections in NeoOffice are different than in Word. In Word, they were how you set up different page margins and headers/footers. I tried inserting sections in NeoOffice but it didn't let me change those particular things, whereas the page layouts did (and how EASY it was!! so refreshing!)

In any case, I'll play with a Master document setup. Thanks!

Cristina
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
It might also be worthwhile to consider using a Master document. Each chapter would be its own document, pulled together in a master document.

After all this time I finally realize what a master document is about (I admit never reading the Wiki article) Very Happy
pastrygirl
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I thought I'd come back and update since I found a great solution. Very Happy

First, I did divide my document into Master/Subdocs, which is working great. Thanks for that suggestion! I set my chapter titles within the subdocs as hidden text, since I only want them to show up in the TOC. Within the master doc, I created the TOC for the entire document. I made the chapter title show up as level 1 and my recipe titles as level 2. I assigned my custom styles for both levels 1 and 2, so that I can use my fancy header-ish style for level 1. For the level 1 structure defintion, I changed the tab and page # to a custom character style that I defined as hidden text. I also had to modify the definition of my chapter title within the master doc so that it is NOT hidden text. Voila! I now get what looks like section titles followed by that section's TOC.

I am really liking NeoOffice! I was hoping that I could move away from Word, but up until a few days ago, I wasn't so sure (iWork definitely didn't fit my needs). I figured I'd try working with a complicated doc and have been very happy with what I've seen so far! Very Happy

Cristina
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the update!

Since you are coming from Word, you might find the OpenOffice.org Migration guide helpful. You can find it on this page. Just remember that where the guide says to use control+key, use command+key on a Mac. Also a right-click is the same as a control-click.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1