· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Creating a Database
Creating a Database

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndreaM
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Creating a Database

I am completely new to NeoOffice and can't figure out how to create a Database. I have got as far as selecting the wizard to create form but the next bit baffles me.

There's a box with options down the LH side beginning with 1. Field Selection but there's nothing to select and I can't get beyond this! In MS Works, you simply typed in the name of Field 1 then went on to the next one etc. Can someone give me simple instructions on how to build the basic database and organise it in Design View?

Thanks
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote a series of very helpful tutorials you can find here in NeoWiki.

Of course, feel free to post in this forum as often as you need help.

Jacqueline
AndreaM
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Jacqueline,

I'll have a look at the link you posted and see if I can go from there.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Another good resource is Chapter 7 of the NeoOffice User Guide. (Note that this is a download link.)

Also, you mentioned using a wizard to create a form. Had you created tables yet? Tables must be created before forms are created. (If you are connecting to an external database, that's a different matter).

Lorinda

Last edited by Lorinda on Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
AndreaM
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject:

Hi Lorinda,

I've looked at the first link and have a basic practice database in its early stages. I think it is the terminology which is confusing me as tables seem to be what I was expecting fields to be.

I'll also look at the other download you suggest. I'm determined to crack this!

Thanks,
Andrea
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject:

Andrea,

I'm glad you are beginning to find some answers.

Fields are individual "containers" for specific types of data. (e.g. name, address, or order number)

Tables are sets of fields containing data about the same item, person, event, or action. (e.g. one might have tables for customers, orders, or parts).

In a "flat" database (like Claris Works and Appleworks), each database file only had one "table," so you never really see the table. You just create fields and start building forms. (Or Layouts, in Appleworks).

Base, on the other hand, is a relational database. This means that in any given database document, you can have more than one table, and the tables relate to each other, based on common fields you define. This lets you manage far more complex data, but takes a lot more setup work.

If you have specific questions that the guide or the tutorial don't answer, or if those resources aren't clear, please be sure to post back. It's best to start a new thread for each topic, as it makes it easier for later searchers to find relevant threads.

Lorinda
AndreaM
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:

Ok, Lorinda. I'll bear this in mind. I intend to keep working away with the practice database until I understand how it all works together before I begin to build the ones which I require.

Be prepared to keep hearing from me calling for help! Very Happy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1