Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Resizing Calc Sheets in Writer Automatically?
Resizing Calc Sheets in Writer Automatically?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Resizing Calc Sheets in Writer Automatically?

I'll try my best to explain my question. In Writer, I choose insert, OLE Object, Calc Spreadsheet. I now I have an embedded blank spreadsheet in writer. Columns A, B, C and D are now visible, as are rows 1 to 5.

Now, I enter data in the all of the rows and columns. So far so good. Next, I make column A wider. By doing so this now pushes all or part of column D out of view and I have to then resize the entire object.

By contrast, when do the exact same as the above in Word (Windows versions, not Mac versions), making A column wider automatically resizes the entire object so column D is not pushed out of view.

Is there anything in NeoOffice to select so it will treat this issue the same way?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject:

You can define the optimal column width in two ways:

1) Choose the Format > Column > Optimal Width menu

2) Double-click on the right separator in column headers.

This width depends on the longest entry within the column.

Hope that helps.

Jacqueline
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks Jacqueline, but that's not the problem. If I make column A (for any other column) bigger it pushes column D (or whatever is the last column on the right I can see) out of view so I then have to resize the borders of the whole spreadsheet on the right to bring the final column on the right back into view. In excel in a word (windows only) document if I make a column bigger it automatically expands the size of the borders on the far right so the final column still stays in view. This is what I want to try and do with NeoOffice.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's possible in NeoOffice, but I can be mistaken. Maybe someone else will be able to find a workaround.

I'm sorry I cannot help. Crying or Very sad

Jacqueline
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Jacqueline for trying. I hope there is a way to do what I am asking. I know it sounds like a minor thing, but I use lots of embedded spreadsheets in big documents so if I could do this it would make my life easier. Even without it, though, NeoOffice is great. Try using, resizing, adding rows or columns, etc. to a spreadsheet in Word 2008- it is the dark ages and next to useless. NeoOffice, meanwhile, is light years ahead.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject:

I just tried on a Windows machine with OpenOffice.org 2.3.1 and I saw the same behavior, also it's an OpenOffice.org feature, or bug.

Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X, and fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs is outside that scope.

You can report this as a bug in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers and if they fix the behavior, the new behavior will get included in a future release of NeoOffice:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

It's better to report the bug against OpenOffice.org and not mention NeoOffice as mentioning NeoOffice will likely cause OOo volunteers to preemptively close it without actually confirming that the bug occurs in OOo.

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1