Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Splitting columns in spreadsheets
Splitting columns in spreadsheets

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sast_81
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Splitting columns in spreadsheets

Hi there,

I'm new to Mac software and was given NeoOffice to work with on my computer. I was wondering, I've been used to working with Office 2003 and Excel. When I open .azk files in windows it gives me a list to choose from, including Excel. With the NeoOfficce it just opened up straight away as a document. I was hoping to find out:

1. How do I reset this to open up in a spreadsheet?
2. Even when I copy and paste all the information/data from the doc to the spreadsheet, how do I split the data in the column? It's all put into three columns within the first column - if that makes sense.

Thanks!
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject:

OK .azk is not a 'standard' file extension. Is this an output file from DMASTR? It may be quite simple to do. Have you tried opening the file from within NeoOffice? Launch NeoOffice. Choose File::Open and when you have the 'Open' dialog select 'Spreadsheets' from the 'File type' drop down. Then navigate to and open your file.
Sast_81
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject:

Yes! It IS DMASTER.

I already tried that trick though, and it wouldn't work, it just keeps opening up as a document. The problem is the "default" that this opens up with - so I'm wondering if there is a way of resetting this.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject:

I've never come across this application or file extension before, but could it be that the file is simply a tab separated text file? If so change the file extension from .azk to .csv and then try opening it from within NeoOffice.

HtH.

Andy.
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject:

When you say that it opens up straight away as a document, do you mean NeoOffice opens it when you double click on it and you want to see a list of options like you did in Windows, so you can choose what to use to open it?

I hope I'm not completely missing the point here! If I'm sure i know what you are trying to do I may be able to help!

Richard
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject:

Can you post a sample .azk file for us to experiment with? I've been trying to find one online and failed so far... I have both Excel and NeoOffice on my mac and I want to see how the .azk opens up in both. I don't think just importing as a .csv file will work because the .azk file doesn't have a consistent delimiter character - in most cases the space is the delimiter between <tags> but there are also spaces in some of the items.

- padmavyuha
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject:

From what I can discover azk files are plain text files so this ought to be doable. There is also a free utility (azk2txt) for processing azk files into structured text files which might help.
Sast_81
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject:

Is there a way of resetting the "default" 'open with' option though? Or removing the option that it comes with...?
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Is there a way of resetting the "default" 'open with' option though? Or removing the option that it comes with...?

I think you mean you want the file to open in a different program as the default when you double-click on the file?

If I am correct, then you right-click (or ctrl-click) on the file you want to change 'open with' and click Get Info. There is an option in this box saying Open With and you can select from that list all the applications that can open your file. Click on the one you want to open that file. If you want all files of this type to open in that application, click on Change All.

Hope this helps!

Richard

edit - for the Change All option to come properly into effect, you need to log out and in again.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject:

rpatrick wrote:
edit - for the Change All option to come properly into effect, you need to log out and in again.

That's not necessary. However, the Finder icons will indeed only get updated to reflect the new association when you log in/out or restart.
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
That's not necessary. However, the Finder icons will indeed only get updated to reflect the new association when you log in/out or restart.

Thanks I didn't realise it was only the icons that don't update!

Richard
Sast_81
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I've never come across this application or file extension before, but could it be that the file is simply a tab separated text file? If so change the file extension from .azk to .csv and then try opening it from within NeoOffice.

HtH.

Andy.

Thank you Andy this worked a treat - for a while I did the lazy thing of just using my other PC to just do my data input, but when I took your advice it worked. My only problem is I can't convert all my files (I have a couple of hundreds) so I'll continue to use my other computer. But it's great to know that it works!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1