Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Changed double-click behaviour? 2.2.4>2.2.5
Changed double-click behaviour? 2.2.4>2.2.5

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Changed double-click behaviour? 2.2.4>2.2.5

I am experiencing changed double-click behaviour which I think is new since I upgraded last night to 2.2.5.

I am finding that the usual double-click to select a word, or double click on the zoom % factor at the foot of the page to open the zoom options pane no longer has the usual effect. Instead I am needing to do two double-clicks sufficiently close together to produce the usual double-click behaviour. This is not occurring on any other software I am running on the same machine, it is not confined to a single NO document, but it seems to be a Writer issue. I don't think it occurs in Calc.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there some setting in NO which I might have inadvertently changed?

iBook 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11, NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 0
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject:

Could be a ppc/tiger issue - I'm not experiencing this behaviour in 10.5.4 on an intel machine. (Or it could always be corrupted preferences Wink)

Anyone else with ppc/tiger having this problem?

- padmavyuha
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject:

I just tested on my iBook running Tiger, and double clicks work as they should.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Changed double-click behaviour? 2.2.4>2.2.5

James3359 wrote:
I am finding that the usual double-click to select a word, or double click on the zoom % factor at the foot of the page to open the zoom options pane no longer has the usual effect. Instead I am needing to do two double-clicks sufficiently close together to produce the usual double-click behaviour. This is not occurring on any other software I am running on the same machine, it is not confined to a single NO document, but it seems to be a Writer issue. I don't think it occurs in Calc.

You might try adjusting your mouse double-click speed by opening the System Preferences application, clicking on the Keyboard and Mouse icon, click on the Mouse tab, and adjust the double-click speed there.

Note: the new double-click speed will not immediately take affect but it should take affect in any new document windows that you open.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject:

Interesting...
if I go through system preferences and reduce the double-click speed by one notch then everything works fine. If I move it back up a notch again everything else on my system works fine, but NeoOffice Writer can't properly detect my double-clicks when I'm working on a document (even though AFAICT I am clicking the mouse at the same speed each time).

Again this only happens AFAICT in Writer Documents. It doesn't affect e.g. double-clicking to open a file in the Open dialog.

Anyway thanks for your help everyone - problem seems to be solved by Patrick's method, and reducing the double-click speed by one notch doesn't seem to be having an adverse affect on my other usage of the computer.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Can you check double-clicking in tables? Today I was doing some heavy table editing (PPC 10.4.11, Security Update 2008-006 applied) and thought I was seeing some funky behaviour in double clicking table header rows. I'm not sure if I was just seeing things that were always there, but perhaps it might be another way to try to uncover any problems.

Also note that OOo does have some operations which, after completing, will give mouse focus to one of the palettes instead of back to the main document window, so double clicks will really require triple clicks (the first to bring focus back to the main window). I see this frequently with picture insertion and sometimes with other areas that bring up floating palettes I haven't docked yet. Dunno if that might be something you're experiencing.

ed
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:

I am finding unpredictable performance variations in header rows/columns - even where the adjusted double click speed seems OK in the main part of a document.

I can't be sure, but it seems to me that even when doulbe clicking is working there is now a greater time lag between double clicking on a word and it being selected than there used to be.

(This is after allowing for the effect of palettes etc.)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I am finding unpredictable performance variations in header rows/columns - even where the adjusted double click speed seems OK in the main part of a document.

I can't be sure, but it seems to me that even when doulbe clicking is working there is now a greater time lag between double clicking on a word and it being selected than there used to be.

I looked at the NeoOffice code that controls the double-click time interval and that code has not changed in any of the NeoOffice 2.2.x releases.

Mice do eventually fail so if you have another mouse, can you try using it and seeing if you get the same behavior?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject:

What I'm experiencing is that double click is working differently in (e.g.) AppleWorks or TextEdit than it is working in NO and it seems to be working differently in NO than it was before 2.2.5. But this is a rather subjective impression. Is there any way to go back and test it? I'd be happy to try. (I'm assuming that because the behaviour is unchanged in other apps that it is not a trackpad/mouse problem.)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
What I'm experiencing is that double click is working differently in (e.g.) AppleWorks or TextEdit than it is working in NO and it seems to be working differently in NO than it was before 2.2.5. But this is a rather subjective impression. Is there any way to go back and test it? I'd be happy to try. (I'm assuming that because the behaviour is unchanged in other apps that it is not a trackpad/mouse problem.)

The fact that it works differently in AppleWorks or TextEdit is no surprise as those two apps are native Mac apps written by Apple. NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code was developed by Windows programmers for primarily Windows. All that we have done is set the time interval that the OpenOffice.org code will use to determine a double-click.

Rolling back to NeoOffice 2.2.4 is not an option as that version is no longer available for download. What would be a better approach is to do the following:

1. Check that your machine is not memory or CPU starved by opening the Activity Monitor application and closing any applications using more than 0.5% CPU or are using more than 100 MB of memory. Do you notice a change after this?

2. If no change occurs, then can you list a specific set of steps that you can reliably reproduce this with? We cannot fix something that is based on subjective feeling and we need something that we can repeatedly experience ourselves.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed double-click behaviour? 2.2.4>2.2.5

James3359 wrote:
I am experiencing changed double-click behaviour which I think is new since I upgraded last night to 2.2.5.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there some setting in NO which I might have inadvertently changed?

iBook 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11, NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 0

I have exactly the same problem (and changing the double-click speed in the System Preferences does not improve it).

iBook 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11, NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 0 (uh, oh, same machine!)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed double-click behaviour? 2.2.4>2.2.5

fmu wrote:
I have exactly the same problem (and changing the double-click speed in the System Preferences does not improve it).

iBook 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11, NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 0 (uh, oh, same machine!)

What happens when you double-click slightly slower than usual? Does the problem stop?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Also, you might try adjusting your mouse double-click speed by opening the System Preferences application, clicking on the Keyboard and Mouse icon, click on the Mouse tab, and adjust the double-click speed there.

Note: the new double-click speed will not immediately take affect but it should take affect in any new document windows that you open.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed double-click behaviour? 2.2.4>2.2.5

pluby wrote:
fmu wrote:

What happens when you double-click slightly slower than usual? Does the problem stop?

Patrick

No it does not. However, If I do a triple click, most of the time, this select the word (instead of the line) and a quadruple click will select the line.
Look like one click is lost.

(As I said, changing the double-click setting in the system pref pane does not change Writer's behavior)
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject:

OK I've been working on this.

I can only reproduce the problem if the Double-Click speed is set to 8 or higher (where 0=slow and 10=fast). When I have changed the double-click speed in System Preferences I have been quitting and re-launching NeoOffice to make sure the new setting 'takes'.

I open a Writer document with text and a table (3 columns and six rows - the top row and l/h column are straightforward text. The other cells in the table contain short bulleted lists).

Initially I can double-click in the document - inside or outside the table to select a word in the usual way. I can fairly reliably generate the problem by double clicking to select a word. With the word selected I then double click the zoom % in the status bar. This usually fails to bring up the zoom pane. Further double-clicking may achieve it, but a treble or quadruple click may be required.

Once I have done this and closed the zoom pane again I then find increased unreliability in clicking within the document itself. I can't reproduce the problem with 100% reliability, but my impression is that double clicking is more likely to be problematic where some degree of redrawing is required, however minor. AFAICT the problem completely disappears if I turn off the ruler, the status bar and any toolbar which will be changed by the double click. It is as if the software in thinking about the redrawing is losing the double-click. I notice this particularly where I double click in one of the bullet formatted table cells this brings up the Bullets and Numbering toolbar and places the cursor in the relevant text, but loses the second click.

This doesn't seem to be a memory starvation issue because it happens with everything else off.

Setting the double-click speed to 6 appears to be a completely effective workround, and as it doesn't seem to be causing me problems elsewhere, that is what I shall do.

iBook 1.33 GHz 512 MB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11, NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 0
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2