Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - borderline printing and printer comminications
borderline printing and printer comminications

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giles
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: borderline printing and printer comminications

Hello
I have had a look at the borderline printing queries here and would welcome some idiot-proof explanation of how Neo or any Intel iMac software communicates with a printer.

In August, with an OKI c5750 laser printer and OpenOffice I could
a) produce borderline printing with a diffuse photo in background and news of a forthcoming exhibition on top, printing a thousand copies at a blink, and
b) be provided in Print setup with menus produced by the laser printer itself, relating to colour and toner saving etc, not just default, generic Appleish print screens which show up when Apple and the printer are skewed.

When an Apple software update destroyed OpenOffice functionality, I tried Neo-Office - and wow, it is streets ahead. Wish I had heard of it earlier. It doesn't p*ss about, does it ? - sorry, a technical phrase used across the Atlantic which you are undoubtedly unfamiliar with.

However... I now have to churn out a thousand borderless adverts for our open days using Neo and a) I cannot get rid of a 5mm white edge round the picture and b) I cannot access the laser printer options, only generic, default, bland Appleish screens. I have tried printing from Preview and as PDF but that border seems, invisibly, to be in the document itself. I am happy to send a copy but I am curious about the generality.

So... why do the laser printer options disappear, one of which involves a Borderless A4 option. And where does the white border all round the picture come from - it is not in Neo page preview or in Preview. You have indicated a Java fault in previous queries but OKI is supposed to be iMac friendly... and it used to work.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:

Offhand I don't know about the borders issue. For printing, however, Neo uses the standard Mac OS X print and print setup dialogs, similar to Preview and other applications. Usually in these dialogs printers with more advanced options might show up with extra options underneath the popup menu at the top of the sheet (it's the one that contains "Copies and Pages", "Layout", and the other options). This OKI is the first time I've heard of something actually popping up its own different print dialog myself.

I have an Epson printer in 10.4 that did the above for colors and the like but I can't test it out myself. I hope it might be a starting point for finding whatever utility seems to be missing.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: borderline printing and printer comminications

Giles wrote:
However... I now have to churn out a thousand borderless adverts for our open days using Neo and a) I cannot get rid of a 5mm white edge round the picture and b) I cannot access the laser printer options, only generic, default, bland Appleish screens. I have tried printing from Preview and as PDF but that border seems, invisibly, to be in the document itself. I am happy to send a copy but I am curious about the generality.

So when you view the print output in the Preview application, the output goes completely to the edge and there is no white margin? If so and printing from the Preview application has a white border, then that indicates that the problem is with your printer driver. The print dialog in all Mac OS X applications, including Preview and NeoOffice, is generated by the Mac OS X print service so if you are not seeing the advanced options in that dialog, that also points to a problem with the print driver.

You may want to try deleting your printer from the System Preferences application and then readding it again. If the problem still persists, then the next step is to look at the printer manufacturer's website to see if there are any print driver updates as recent Apple system updates, particularly 10.5.x updates, have had many printing changes.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1