Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problem opening .docx file
Problem opening .docx file

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Problem opening .docx file

I am having a problem opening a large (732kb) .docx file using NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 7.

From what I am seeing in the activity monitor, the odf converter works overtime trying to convert this file and then starts over when it is almost completed. It can never quite open the file.

I am on Mac OS 10.4.11 on an iMacG5 PPC revA, and it makes my fans run like crazy.

Any ideas?

If I ever get this sucker to open, I am going to save it as a .doc file.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Is this a file you can share? If so, attach it to a post here and we can take a look at it.

How to attach files to your post

--fran
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject:

It contains names and addresses, so I don't want to post it on an open forum.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject:

One thing to check for is corruption in your NeoOffice preferences file. The following steps will create a new preferences file:

1. Quit NeoOffice

2. Move the following folders to the Desktop or Trash if they exist. Note that "~" means your Home folder:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x

3. Restart NeoOffice.

Does that allow you to now open the file?

--fran
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Nope.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject:

narf wrote:
2. Move the following folders to the Desktop or Trash if they exist. Note that "~" means your Home folder:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x

This will have no affect on the Microsoft Office 2007 import or export feature. This is because NeoOffice 2.2.5 uses the odf-converter open source project's code to import and export Microsoft Office 2007 files.

The bad news is that this bug is caused by a bug in the odf-converter project's OdfConverter tool that NeoOffice uses to import and export Microsoft Office 2007 files. More details about the odf-converter open source project are available at the following URL:

http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/

If you are seing the progress continually repeat, NeoOffice is not hanging. Instead, the OdfConverter tool is just taking an extremely long time parse the file. The OdfConverter tool has only limited support for Microsoft Office 2007 files and is known to be extremely slow so what you are seeing is expected.

Although this does not help you now, starting with the NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access release, we stopped using the OdfConverter tool for importing Microsoft Office 2007 files (we still use it for export) and we switched to using OpenOffice.org's new Microsoft Office 2007 import code which is much faster and more reliable than the OdfConverter tool.

Patrick
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the info, Patrick. You are confirming what I thought, that the odf converter was the problem.

In the meantime, I sent the file to a friend who can open .docx files, and she saved it as .doc and sent it back to me.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!
mat
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Although this does not help you now, starting with the NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access release, we stopped using the OdfConverter tool for importing Microsoft Office 2007 files (we still use it for export) and we switched to using OpenOffice.org's new Microsoft Office 2007 import code which is much faster and more reliable than the OdfConverter tool.

Patrick

Is the Ooo3 docx converter better?

I've tested a view .docx Files that i have previously converted with ODFConverter (from Neo2) to directly opening the .docx in Neo3.

From my limited comparison, the files converted with ODFConverter looks better, altough one issue happend with opening the converted docx files.

Especially the background colors are better with ODFConverter.
The file from the linked bug has a grey background which is completely black when opening the .docx directly in Neo3 (or Ooo3, same effect)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject:

mat wrote:
Is the Ooo3 docx converter better?

I did not say they were better, I only said that they were faster and more reliable. Reliable means that it can consistently open files and the core content (text and formulas) are there. It does mean that one will look better than the other.

I know many people are looking for Microsoft Office 2007 document support equal to what Microsoft Office provides, but the reality is that currently there is only one application that fully supports Microsoft Office 2007 documents and that application is Microsoft Office.

At best, the OdfConverter code and the OpenOffice.org 3.0 code are stopgap tools that enable you to read your documents. They may not look good, but it least you will be able to read it. Once you start adding formatting, images, etc. to your documents, the likelihood of lost formatting rapidly approaches 100%. This is why we display a warnings and default to saving such files in ODF or the older Microsoft Office 97/2000/XP formats: so that formatting loss is minimized.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1