Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Locking frame size in Template
Locking frame size in Template

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve1
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Locking frame size in Template

Hi, I'm trying to set up a template with a locked frame size and position - it doesn't change the size when the text 'goes over' the frame size but would then continue in a new page/frame.
I want the frame size to remain the same on every page.

All help appreciated.

Thanks
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject:

I do not understand your question. Frames are text boxes that float within a single page's content area so they cannot spill over into another page.

Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do as I do not think frames are going to work for you.

Patrick
Markk
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Locking frame size in Template

Steve1 wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to set up a template with a locked frame size and position - it doesn't change the size when the text 'goes over' the frame size but would then continue in a new page/frame.
I want the frame size to remain the same on every page.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

You want linked frames? That is a frame on every page where as soon as the frame in the first page fills up with text it starts filling the frame on the second page and so on? And this will be independent of the rest of the text outside the frames. This is a Framemaker type of thing... The issue is getting the number of frames right - it will be static.

You need to set up all the frames before entering anything in any of them.

Right click on the edge of the first frame so the boxes at the corners show and select Frame and the Options Tab. Adjust the previous link and next link to point to the appropriate other frames and then check the protect size box. Repeat for each frame.

You now have a set of linked frames across pages of a fixed size so that when you drop text in them it flows between frames. You could make this a template. the problem is that you cannot add a frame once you start filling them out. (As far as I know anyway) You have to pre-set the number you want. i.e. the number of pages. You could make a template real big and delete pages though.

HTH
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject:

There is some guidance in Help>NeoOffice Help about this under the heading Linking Text Frames. It appears that you can link onward to a text frame (from one that already has text in it) so long as the frame you are linking to isn't already linked to other frames, and doesn't already contain text.
Steve1
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Setting Frame sizes

Ok, the situation (!) is so... I'm putting together a cook-book of my favourite recipies (<70).
Each page has a Header (Title), sub-header (recipe title), page background (my photos) and then there is a frame that will hold the text of the recipe. I want these frame-boxes to be the same size on each page, - so the size is set. If I type more than this 'set' size for one recipe a new page will then open with the Title/sub-title and same size frame and the text will continue there.

See attached file
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately NeoOffice is not capable of doing this. It is a word processor, not a publishing layout tool. It can not automatically create objects such as frames when text spills on to a new page.

In this case frames will need to be linked manually as Markk and James3359 mentioned.

Do the steps provided by Markk and the information in NeoOffice Help regarding Linking Text Frames work?

--fran
Steve1
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Working around the problem

I'm working my way around the problem but... I have the 'Contents' list on two pages each in a frame. The contents are numbered (Numbers On). The first frame has 1 - 50, the second frame will have 51 - 70 (hopefully Smile.
The problem: the second frame starts listing at '1' again. How can I manually set it to start from 51 ?

And so that you have enough strength to continue:

Pea Soup Spanish Style (serves 2 hungry or 4 'sensible' folks)

1 medium Onion, coarsely chopped
2-4 Garlic cloves (choose your limit)
50g chopped Bacon
50g chopped Smoked Bacon
200g Spanish spiced Sausage, sliced
500g fresh podded Peas, (or tinned)
2 medium Potatoes, cubed
1 medium Carrot, sliced, (not too thin!)
1 level teaspoon Paprika powder
1 handfull chopped Parsley
600 ml Beef Stock
Salt
Pepper

Fry the Bacon/Sausage/Onion/Garlic
Add everything else
Stir well
Bring to the boil
Reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 20-30 minutes
Stir occasionally

Serve with Fresh Baguette