Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Anchoring images within a frame and a frame to a page
Anchoring images within a frame and a frame to a page

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wally
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Anchoring images within a frame and a frame to a page

I can't figure out how to anchor an image to a frame so it stays in place, and the same thing happens when I anchor a frame to a page.

When I close, then reopen the document, the frames have moved around, sometimes to a different page, or even disappeared. And the images don't stay anchored to the frame.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject:

Are you saving your docs in MS Word format, or in NeoOffice/OpenOffice .ods format?

If you're saving in MS Word format, this may be the cause of your formatting problems.

- padmavyuha
wally
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject:

I am saving as a Word doc.

If I save as NeoOffice doc, does it keep all the formatting?

Forever?
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject:

By default NeoOffice anchors objects to the paragraph which can cause the object to move as text changes. One thing to do is double check that the anchors are set as you would like them to be.

You can do this by selecting the frame, placing your cursor on the edge of the frame, then using Control - click. In the pop-up menu that appears select Anchor and insure it is set to Page.

Then select the image inside the frame, use Control-click to bring up the menu and insure Anchor is set to Frame.

Are the frames anchored to the page and the images anchored to the frame?

--fran
wally
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject:

To your last question, yes.

I could only find the "frame" to anchor the image under the menu on the upper-left-hand corner. Perhaps that is a .doc problem?

Then, I try to anchor the frame to the page, which seems more stable, unless I am wrong.

Is control-click the same as right click with the mouse?
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject:

wally wrote:
I could only find the "frame" to anchor the image under the menu on the upper-left-hand corner. Perhaps that is a .doc problem.

Then, I try to anchor the frame to the page, which seems more stable, unless I am wrong.

Alright, if the frames and images are anchored as you expect then you may want to test yoxi's theory, that there is a problem with Word export. Do this by saving all changes to your document, then creating a copy using File :: Save As and selecting OpenDocument Text (.odt) as the File type.

Does that create a document that keeps the placement of frames and images consistent?

wally wrote:
Is control-click the same as right click with the mouse?

Control-click is the same as right-click on a 2-button mouse. I tend to use the term control-click which will work with all mice no matter how they are mapped, or even if they have only one button.

--fran
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:

Does that create a document that keeps the placement of frames and images consistent?

I forgot to add the final step, close and reopen the .odt document and then let us know if the frames and images moved.

--fran
wally
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject:

The frames seem to be staying put in odt format, but I still can't select an image to anchor it to a frame. Actually, some I can and some I can't!
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject:

Often frames are transparent so I wonder if the frame is on top of the image and that is what is preventing you from selecting the image.

To test this theory try selecting the frame and use command-click or right-click and in the popup menu that appears select Arrange :: Send to back.

Can you select the image now?

--fran
wally
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject:

It seems to work after the fact. In other words, after I anchor the frame to the page, move it where I want it, center it, sometimes cut and paste it, move to another page, then come back, THEN I can control/click image and anchor it to the frame.
wally
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject:

Possible solution!

By deleting an extra return next to the image, but within the frame, I can then click the image and choose anchor to frame!

Does this make sense?
wally
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks and a new problem.

I just wanted to thank you all for the fixes. It was saving it as a Word doc and the anchoring is working great now.

This is huge!

I think I have a page break that I can't get rid of. How do you do that?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks and a new problem.

wally wrote:
I think I have a page break that I can't get rid of. How do you do that?

Can you try placing the cursor at the top of the page immediately after the page break. Put the cursor at the very beginning of the page content area (don't put the cursor in the header) and press the Delete key.

Does this get rid of the page break for you?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1