Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Digits - Problem with language in Par. Styles
Digits - Problem with language in Par. Styles

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redSunset
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Digits - Problem with language in Par. Styles

Hello,
I've created a Par.Style for a running Hebrew text, where the Western text is Times fotnt 10pt, and the CTL (which suppose to be for the Hebrew) is David Font 12pt.

This tyle works just fine accept for digits that for some reason gets the Western Times font, instead the Hebrew one.

If my Text is a Right2Left one, than letters and digits should be getting the Hebrew font.

Am I doing something wrong or its a problem?
Thank you

shlomit

narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject:

Can you please attach a sample document and steps to reproduce this problem? This will help us to answer your question.

Click this link for instructions on how to attach files to your post

Thank you
--fran
redSunset
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: here is a more detailed explenation

When you use a bi-lingual document, there is always the leading text (Hebrew for that matter) for all paragraphs and a secondary language (Englihs for that matter) for all words combined within the text.

When you say a leading text, it means that all characters, digits, commas, periods, question marks etc, must get the font of the leading text.

The leading text in any Hebrew document is Hebrew and therefore all text must recieve the font which was chosen for the Hebrew but for some reason, when i tell NeoOfice to use the font Times for my English word, it also turn the digits to the western font which is not a correct behavior.

see the attchment called: RunCorrect.jpg.
Actually, the font and language defitions are correct, but the result is not. All digits got the font Times just like the other Roman letters (in the word "Hello".

When I make a wrong definition, and give the western text font the same font as the CTL font, I get a good result for Digits but not for the English worlds. See screenshot - RunWrong.jpg

Well, perhaps I have missed something with my definitions but if not, this is a major misunderstanding of how digits should behave.

thank you,
shlomit

narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject:

Thank you for providing the sample output and the steps to produce this.

I have some bad news, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code treats digits as Western font.

A workaround is to manually change digits to Hebrew font by highlighting them and selecting the Hebrew font from the font drop-down menu in the toolbar.

Does the workaround show digits in the Hebrew text while preserving the Western font for for English words?

--fran
redSunset
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: NeoOffice treats numbers as Western font

hi,
thank you,
indeed bad news, and not a good solution.
Why should i choose neooffice to be my word processor?

Is it going to change?
I still can't believe it was done that way.
very very bad news.

i did not understand your question.
thank you
shlomit

James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject:

This seems to be an issue about how the underlying OOo 3 code (which NeoOffice is based on) handles numerals.

The handling of numerals within a text is affected by the setting you choose under Tools>Options>Language Setting>Complex Text Layout. In the General Options section of the dialog you can select how numerals are handled. This is a general NeoOffice (or OpenOffice) setting and not specific to Writer.

The problem of context specific decisions about how numerals are handled in text is the subject of a number of Issues raised in OOo, and I think Issue 22396 is probably the best place to see what is going on. It seems to me that a fix has been devised for this problem. The fix will provide an additional 'Context' option for the handling of numerals which hopefully will fix your problem. Its intended release is with OOo 3.1 after which it will in due course appear in NeoOffice.

I don't know which option you currently have set for Numerals in NeoOffice, but it might help to change that option - if you have the time to play about you could try it out. Another option which might work would be to specify a 'Hebrew Numerals' character style which you could select for numerals to override the current automatic behaviour. I don't use CTL myself these days so I don't have direct experience to help you.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice treats numbers as Western font

redSunset wrote:
indeed bad news, and not a good solution.
Why should i choose neooffice to be my word processor?

NeoOffice is not the solution for everyone. Every word processor differs slightly in the features they offer. NeoOffice is based on the OpenOffice.org office suite.

Unfortunately, our very limited funding and developer resources limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and and expanding OpenOffice.org's features is outside that scope.

You may want to look at Mellel as a possible word processing solution for you. It is made by RedleX, a software company from Israel, and I would guess it may provide more options when it comes to mixing Hebrew and western text.

--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1