Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Work with columns (the BUG) SOLVED
Work with columns (the BUG) SOLVED

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sokilw
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Work with columns (the BUG) SOLVED

If I split the text for 2 columns -can I move it back to one column? It is possible as UNDO Very Happy only

Last edited by Sokilw on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject:

In Writer, just use the Format > Columns dialog and set the column count back to 1.

ed
Sokilw
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
In Writer, just use the Format > Columns dialog and set the column count back to 1.

ed

It can't be back to 1, only move forward (make 3 etc.) No back Sad
It was in 225 and still persist in 3.0?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I was testing the columns steps in 3.0 and was able to flip back to 1 column, so it may be a limitation that has been removed.

ed
Sokilw
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject:

I have fond interesting dependence: doing columns without selection causes them possibility to roll back, if it's done by manual selection- it can't be back. So it is a BUG of 225 and 3
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Sokilw wrote:
I have fond interesting dependence: doing columns without selection causes them possibility to roll back, if it's done by manual selection- it can't be back. So it is a BUG of 225 and 3

Can you list the steps that we can use to reproduce this in a new Writer document?

Patrick
Sokilw
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Sokilw wrote:

Can you list the steps that we can use to reproduce this in a new Writer document?

Patrick

OK
1. Open NO
2. Paste some text (it should occupy 1 page or more)
3. Menu- Format-column - choose 2 (3) columns-OK
Text is splitted for columns
4. Menu- Format-column - choose 1 column -OK
Text is joined for 1 column

If You select some text manualy or doing Select all, than moved to step 3
text will be splitted, but irreversable.
That's all what I want to say.
PS NO abilty to create diffent columns in one list of paper is very nice for making up broshures and books. It's already nice, in spite of irreversability.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm. I cannot reproduce this. I did the following steps. Did I misunderstand any of your steps or do any steps differently than you?:

1. Created a new Writer document

2. Pasted 20 paragraphs of "lorem ipsum" text into the new Writer document.

3. Highligted a sentence in the middle of the first paragraph and selected the Format :: Page menu. In the dialog that appeared, I clicked on the Columns tab and set the column count to "2" and clicked the OK button.

4. I then pressed the Escape key to unhighlight all text and selected the Format :: Page menu a second time. In the dialog that appeared, I clicked on the Columns tab and set the column count back to "1"" and clicked the OK button.

After doing the above steps, the two columns successfully merged back into a single column.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I am getting this sometimes, and at other times resetting the columns is flaky odd breaks are inserted.

If you select some or all of the text then the columns operation is only reversible so long as the selection is maintained. If you unselect the text then the column formatting cannot be reversed via Format>Columns. It can be reversed.

It seems that selecting some or all of the text and then choosing Format>Columns creates a new Section. The column setting for this can be changed, I think, by placing the cursor in the relevant text and choosing Format>Sections and clicking the Options button and then resetting the columns in the Options window.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I have not been able to reproduce this. I created a 4 page document, 25 paragrahs in NeoOffice 3.0 and did the following steps:

1. Highlighted 2 paragraphs in the middle of the first page.

2. Selected the menu Format :: Columns, set the Column count to "2" and pressed the OK button.

3. Clicked in another part of document and did some unrelated edits.

4. Placed my cursor back in one of the columns (did not highlight anything) and again selected Format :: Columns and was able to drop back to 1 Column.

I then tried again and quit NeoOffice between Step 3 and Step 4 and still did not have a problem. I also tried resetting using Format :: Sections and pressing the Options button to open a dialog and was able to reset the column from 2 to 1 there.

Am I recreating the problem correctly? If not, can you please let me know what I need to do.

--fran
Sokilw
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Try to merge the contents of attached file in one column. I can't do this.
File was made in ppc 225 patch 7 version. If needed, I'll repeat it and send again in 3.0 for x086, but later
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject:

If I select all the text in the attached document then I can't alter it using Format>Columns. But if I put my cursor in the two-column section then choose Format>Columns I can set it back to one column. If I then do the same in the three-column section I can also set that back to one column. I'm using NO 3 iBook 1.33 GHz 512 MB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11
Sokilw
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
If I select all the text in the attached document then I can't alter it using Format>Columns. But if I put my cursor in the two-column section then choose Format>Columns I can set it back to one column. If I then do the same in the three-column section I can also set that back to one column. I'm using NO 3 iBook 1.33 GHz 512 MB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11

So my mistake is in SELECTION. Merged column text SHOULD NOT BE SELECTED
OK, thanks a lot
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject:

Yes I think the point is that if you select text including more than one column format (e.g. two columns and three columns) then that selection can't be adjusted using Format>Columns. A similar thing happens with paragraph formatting if you select text containing more than one paragraph format then some of the settings in Format>Paragraph are unavailable and you can't adjust tab stops using the ruler bar.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1