Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - document font layout destroyed all of the sudden
document font layout destroyed all of the sudden

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: document font layout destroyed all of the sudden

Hi, I am having an issue here with a document that has some major problem with the font layout literally from one day to the other. The font is still the same but it appears larger than it should be and thus the lines don't fit anymore and some characters are not even shown (they are there if I switch to a different front). Also there is this weird red line that I have never seen before.

I have attached two images showing how it should look like and how it looks the wrong way.

The funny thing is that it doesn't happen on any computer. I am here with three macs with neoOffice 2.2.5. On one of them the document never worked, the other two were just fine until two days ago. Nothing has changed regarding the system and updating to neoOffice 3.0 didn't help either. Now there is just one mac which shows the document without a problem. The font is the exact same on all three systems. I just wonder how a such such as this can happen overnight without changing anything. If there is anyone out there having a solution to this or came across this problem I would appreciate to learn from that.

Cheers, Ingo
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject:

Sometimes problems like this can be caused by duplicate fonts or font ID conflicts. If you open Font Book on your computer(s) duplicate fonts are indicated by a dot. You should select the one that you want to use and then choose Resolve Duplicates from the Edit menu. Does this help?
goin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject:

unfortunately this does not help, because there are no duplicates on the system. I previously have removed all custom fonts from the system and replaced them with a clean set of fonts without any duplicates. Like I said it worked and the next morning it didn't anymore.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject:

Can you attach a sample document here that demonstrates this problem? There are instructions on how to attach a file in this forum post.

--fran
goin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:

here is the sample document that you requested. I also included the font within the file.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject:

goin wrote:
here is the sample document that you requested. I also included the font within the file.

I installed both font files using the /Applications/Font Book application, launched both NeoOffice 3.0 and NeoOffice 2.2.5, and then open your sample document in both. In both NeoOffice versions, the Eurostile text "IoGo Name" is displayed.

What this most likely means is that your machine is having trouble loading the Eurostile font. Can you shutdown your machine, wait 2 minutes, and then reboot your machine? This will hopefully clear Mac OS X's font caches.

After doing a shutdown and reboot, does the problem still occur?

Patrick
goin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject:

thanks for checking. Anyway, shutting down the computer doesn't help since on the one machine the problem orrured right from the beginning of installing the os and the apps. The machine that just recently had problems has been turned off several times already, also overnight but it didnt't help the problem. Like I mentioned before I have also tried several times to replace the font because I first guessed that it had something to do with that. But this also doesn't explain why the problem occurs all of the sudden after working for months in a row.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:

goin wrote:
thanks for checking. Anyway, shutting down the computer doesn't help since on the one machine the problem orrured right from the beginning of installing the os and the apps. The machine that just recently had problems has been turned off several times already, also overnight but it didnt't help the problem. Like I mentioned before I have also tried several times to replace the font because I first guessed that it had something to do with that. But this also doesn't explain why the problem occurs all of the sudden after working for months in a row.

Since NeoOffice relies on Mac OS X's ATS font service to load and layout fonts, something has changed on your machines whether intentional or not. Did you install any Apple system updates recently? I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11 with all system updates. What are you running on your machines?

Also, if you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application, what error messages, if any, are added when you launch NeoOffice and open the sample document? Those error messages may give us a clue as to why Mac OS X's ATS font service is not able to handle your font.

Patrick
goin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject:

all computers here are running with 10.5.6, no updates added recently and in the console there are no error messages whatsoever. I will probably try to install a backup image on the machine over the weekened to check if that helps.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:

goin wrote:
all computers here are running with 10.5.6, no updates added recently and in the console there are no error messages whatsoever. I will probably try to install a backup image on the machine over the weekened to check if that helps.

So, the next step is the clear Mac OS X's font caches. Even though your fonts pass Font Book's validation tests, Mac OS X may still be using copies of the font from its font cache and maybe that is where Mac OS X's font loading functions are crashing.

Before you do that, I have one more thing for you to try. I found that my previous shutdown and reboot process will not clear the Mac OS X font cache. To clear your machine's font cache, reboot your machine in "safe boot" mode. To start up in safe boot mode, use the following steps:

1. Shut down your machine
2. Restart your machine and hold the Shift key until the gray Apple logo appears on the screen

After you have successfully started your machine in safe boot mode, reboot your machine normally so that it restarts in regular mode.

The above steps should clear your machine's font caches. Does the Eurostile font still not work after doing the above steps?

Patrick
goin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject:

nope, I am sorry but that didn't help either. but it was worth a try I guess Wink
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:

goin wrote:
nope, I am sorry but that didn't help either. but it was worth a try I guess Wink

I am curious if Apple's TextEdit application has the same problems with the Eurostile font. Can you go to the /Applications folder in the Finder and drag your sample document onto the TextEdit application icon. Your document will open Apple's TextEdit application.

In TextEdit, is the "IoGo Name" text displayed? If so, is it using the Eurostile font or a substitute font?

Patrick
goin
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject:

no, everything works fine within textedit. The document shows just as expected. Also when I open the document within the finder with the new overview function in 10.5 (space bar) everything displays just fine.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I am looking at your file. I want to double check the issue that you are seeing. The problem is that Euostile Bold does not display, but the Eurostile Regular does display?

I cannot replicate this on my system, but I did find that I already had a copy of Eurostile. I think it may be from Microsoft Office.

Can you try the following steps on your machine to check if there is a corrupt version of Eurostile on your machine?

1. Open /Applications/Fontbook

2. Select All Fonts in the Collection column

3. Scroll down to Eurostile and expand it

4. Select each Eurostile Bold and Regular and select the menu Preview :: Show Preview

5. What is the location path of each Eurostile component?

--fran
goin
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject:

hi fran, the location path for the fonts are in users/myUserName/library/fronts/
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2